cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JZ - CPU fan not pushing enough air... (?)

xXxR0GL0rdxXx
Level 7
Okay, this sounds weird I guess, but the CPU fan is not really pushing enough air. What I mean is that even if my CPU is melting (90C+ hot) and the fan is going crazy fast, the air can be barely felt at the end of the machine if I put my hand there. It does push hot air - the stock paste only pushed lukewarm - but it's just like barely even moving any air at all.

Is there a solution to this? Like... I replaced the stock fan after a few months as it was very loud (factory defect probably) and of course I repasted the machine maybe 2-3 times. Problem is, every time I take it apart, the connectors like ribbon ones get damaged. I barely could reassemble the SATA pins last time, I almost lost the HDD bays (2).

- I have tried to order the cables (both keyboard + SATA ribbon is dying) from ASUS, but they just quoted me the whole motherboard.
- No I did not rip them, I took apart my ThinkPad a thousand times and it has no damage whatsoever. The ribbons used by ASUS simply lack the layer that would hold it all together, so when you disconnect them - no matter how carefully - there is always a risk of damage. The more often you take it apart, the more chance you got destroying it.
- Thought about using liquid metal but as Linus mentioned in his phone liquid metal video, laptops can also get dropped (even if in a bag), and thus spill. For some reason the gap between the sink and GPU / CPU is kinda huge for me, so I had to use quite some paste. But hey, it works, GPU is cool as ever. It spits lava, like when I bought my machine.

But the CPU... oh, the CPU.
I am open to any solutions, really.

Ps.: Maybe sending my machine to ASUS would get me the fan and ribbons replaced, but after they quoted me the wrong parts (and some veeery big numbers on those), I kinda fear the whole thing. I would also suspect they would charge me at least 200$ for the repaste + clean + fan + labor. Btw I really am not trying to talk ill of ASUS service. I only had one RMA replacement with them with an eeePC, they fixed that, and that was the end of the story. Things are a bit different this time though.
6 REPLIES 6

Fugasik
Level 7
xXxR0GL0rdxXx wrote:
Okay, this sounds weird I guess, but the CPU fan is not really pushing enough air. What I mean is that even if my CPU is melting (90C+ hot) and the fan is going crazy fast, the air can be barely felt at the end of the machine if I put my hand there. It does push hot air - the stock paste only pushed lukewarm - but it's just like barely even moving any air at all.

Is there a solution to this? Like... I replaced the stock fan after a few months as it was very loud (factory defect probably) and of course I repasted the machine maybe 2-3 times. Problem is, every time I take it apart, the connectors like ribbon ones get damaged. I barely could reassemble the SATA pins last time, I almost lost the HDD bays (2).

- I have tried to order the cables (both keyboard + SATA ribbon is dying) from ASUS, but they just quoted me the whole motherboard.
- No I did not rip them, I took apart my ThinkPad a thousand times and it has no damage whatsoever. The ribbons used by ASUS simply lack the layer that would hold it all together, so when you disconnect them - no matter how carefully - there is always a risk of damage. The more often you take it apart, the more chance you got destroying it.
- Thought about using liquid metal but as Linus mentioned in his phone liquid metal video, laptops can also get dropped (even if in a bag), and thus spill. For some reason the gap between the sink and GPU / CPU is kinda huge for me, so I had to use quite some paste. But hey, it works, GPU is cool as ever. It spits lava, like when I bought my machine.

But the CPU... oh, the CPU.
I am open to any solutions, really.

Ps.: Maybe sending my machine to ASUS would get me the fan and ribbons replaced, but after they quoted me the wrong parts (and some veeery big numbers on those), I kinda fear the whole thing. I would also suspect they would charge me at least 200$ for the repaste + clean + fan + labor. Btw I really am not trying to talk ill of ASUS service. I only had one RMA replacement with them with an eeePC, they fixed that, and that was the end of the story. Things are a bit different this time though.

Hey , first of all are you sure have correctly putted your machine together ? There shouldn't be big gap between cpu and heatsink. You shouldn't force your heatsink to stay in place.
About liquid metal , I personally wouldn't recommend using it with laptop. Difference between Liquid metal and thermal grizzly kryonaut is 3-4 degrees.Liquid metal is worth if you are OK risking damaging your machine .
Also have you tried Undervolting your CPU ? I would recommend TrottleStop for that . You could disable turbo boost if under
volting won't help much. By running your cpu at 2600 clock you won't really feel difference in games from my experience but it might actually help you !

Looking at your notebook review your temps are definitely to high. Would recommend contacting Asus support if you have warranty, or just go to laptop service so they can properly repaste your laptop and fix it if needed. But first try undervolting .

Fugasik wrote:

Today I cleaned the laptop a bit (found a SATA cable online so in case I break the half-dead one I have now, I can recover my bays), it certainly helped temps and all, but the pushed air is still not much.

> Gap
I mean, I used the correct order written on the sink and I used the correct screwdriver, etc. It just does not seem too "good" by default.
Then again, it's not the heat, it blows like very hot air, so the contact must be good. But the blow amount is just "meh."

I have ordered a 25mm thick CPU fan now off eBay, it's 0.6amp ADDA like the factory I have saved, hopefully it will help a bit? Not sure tho.

> Turbo
I always use(d) Windows's power profiles for that. If you set the maximum CPU speed to 99%, it just removes Turbo and runs at 2,39 (in my case, with a 2,4 base clock). Will check ThrotteStop though.

> Undervolt
Yeah, my CPU can do -0,60 on both core + cache, been doing that for a while now to further reduce heat.

Chok_Ice
Level 7
this is why u shouldnt get gaming laptops,

they overheat and dont last long......

Chok_Ice wrote:

any other alternatives, genius?

a brick to play game?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Chok_Ice wrote:

I think everyone knows that.
But there is only 3 options.

- PC, which you cannot carry.
- ASUS ROG / other gaming laptops. They are strong, well cooled, but not easily serviceable OR durable.
- Alienware, Sager/Clevo, etc gaming laptops. Even stronger than a ROG usually, but costs just a fortune. Durability wise, I think they are pretty much the same.
- Dell Precision: Serviceable, lasts a lifetime. Costs even more.

I mean the ROG just has a great curve of how long it lasts and how much it's worth. I just think/believe the G750 has this silly CPU fan design (and they removed the fan bays too on this model), so yea, it's kind of a factory/design issue so to say. Then again, there are macbooks where the screen or GPU just breaks from one day to another, so not complaining. Will check out the current ROG models if this one dies, but I will do more research fan/CPU wise for sure.

navis995
Level 11
I own G750JZ and with latest mod I did my cpu idles at 40°C with 3.6Ghz oc and gets maximum 80°C when under 100% load.

The reasons for that may be:
1) dead or dying fan-->buy a new one, they are really cheap <20€
2) dust buildup-->take apart laptop and clean it thoroughly
3) dry paste-->take apart laptop and repaste it
4) poor reassemly--->i never had it happen to me and i did it about 50 times now probably but you never know
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD