Threaded View

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

This post by The Stilt is useful to see what the SMU (FIT) determines as safe voltage for a Zen2 CPU under high loads.

Thanks to the features recently added in HWInfo, it is rather easy to verify what kind of voltages are safe to your CPU specimen. As said before, each and every CPU is different in terms of silicon characteristics, even if they are the same SKU with consecutive serial numbers.

First, set PPT / TDC and EDC to sufficiently high values, which are unreachable in practice. Then, make sure that the CPU is running bone stock (outside the altered PBO limits). Practically meaning that there are no fixed frequencies, voltages, voltage offsets or load-line adjustments used.

Open HWInfo, go to the "Central Processor(s)" and make sure that "CPU PBO Scalar (Reliability Reduction)" reads 1.00x. Then run the worst-case multithreaded workload of your choice (the worst-case workload of your use). While the workload is running, check HWInfo sensors for the "CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN)". That value is the practical one, which the silicon fitness monitoring has allowed and is safe, without loosing any reliability. You can double check that this value wasn't affected by any of the other limits (thermal, power, current): change PBO Scalar to 2x value and repeat the test. If the observed voltage has increased from doing that, then the figure is accurate for the workload you used.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1967 View Post
    Exactly my thoughts - thanks for the extra data!

I have found while comparing my performance with others that I often beat those with 1900 FCLK anyway, indicating that some are pushing further than is beneficial..... Though of course we all want 1900 FCLK
    NP .

It could well be some are pushing too hard, but dunno. I can see some swings in say CB20, for example first run of the day when system is coolest I could see ~7450 points for multi and other times later I could see ~7200. In points it may seem a large swing, in % it's more akin to run to run variance.

Any how I think Zen2 has been a real nice experience to use, looking forward to Zen3 .

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdog64 View Post
    I have the Crosshair Vii X-470 w/ Ryzen 7, Radeon 7. Used mostly for gaming, I was curious about the overclock presets in the bios. Most of you all are well beyond using such basic stuff, but for a newbie are they a safe way to start overclocking my system?
    Dunno never used them TBH.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R5 3600 - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3800MHz C16 - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)