Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    [URL="https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101617-Crosshair-VII-Hero-Essential-Info-Thread/page12#post782315"]

Thanks for feedback.

From all your shares before and now to me it seems perhaps your CPU sample is not decent to see gains on PBO OC, it could also be the load cases your using, just gonna do a separte post in my stating some of my experience on UEFI 0002+ with R5 3600 / C7HWIFI / F4-3200C14Q-32GVK.

If your IMC is decent I'd probably not bother trying another CPU sample. If you are inclined to and can off load the CPU with minimal loss, then perhaps have another roll of the silicon dice.
    Yes I think you may be right. My IMC can handle 3600 CL16 no problem. A part of me wonders if it's worth getting a 3600X and selling the current CPU. Or is the lack of 100Mhz not worth the hassle do you think? With the modified SMU it stays at 4.1Ghz constantly in games which is a definite improvement. I tried PBO with your custom values + x5 scaler and it did seem to boost better but due to heat I've had to leave it till I repaste.

Unfortunately I have run out of thermal paste, so ordered some for tomorrow off Amazon, so will sort that out and see if it helps tomorrow.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by mikev190 View Post
    Yes I think you may be right. My IMC can handle 3600 CL16 no problem. A part of me wonders if it's worth getting a 3600X and selling the current CPU. Or is the lack of 100Mhz not worth the hassle do you think? With the modified SMU it stays at 4.1Ghz constantly in games which is a definite improvement. I tried PBO with your custom values + x5 scaler and it did seem to boost better but due to heat I've had to leave it till I repaste.

Unfortunately I have run out of thermal paste, so ordered some for tomorrow off Amazon, so will sort that out and see if it helps tomorrow.
    If I set greater than PBO+150MHz on my CPU I may see peak CPU MHz climb higher, but average can at times be same or less than when on PBO+150MHz.

When I cruise the web and see other R5 3600 owners shares, I have noted differing voltages used for when CPU stock. So defo variation in silicon and I've even seen some R5 3600X shares which aren't that great.

If you ran say HCI at stock, 12 instances, captured HWINFO screenie as my shares show. I'd like to see averages of MHz, CPU Core Voltage SVI2 TFN. Some what curious to see your data.

If the extra MHz matters then why not off load CPU. If you feel the urge to roll the silicon lotto die again why not IMO. I've in the past made minimal loss, by using say an ebay FVF promo, using cheapest postage. Surprising sometimes people pay close to what a new CPU is when even used for sale. Sometimes the buyer is grabbing it there as a coupon give discount and or through paypal 0% credit/finance, etc easier than say a retailer.

What cooling you using? defo due to the process/size of die, these 7nm chips have higher heat density than Zen/Zen+.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R5 3600 - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3800MHz C16 - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

If I set greater than PBO+150MHz on my CPU I may see peak CPU MHz climb higher, but average can at times be same or less than when on PBO+150MHz.

When I cruise the web and see other R5 3600 owners shares, I have noted differing voltages used for when CPU stock. So defo variation in silicon and I've even seen some R5 3600X shares which aren't that great.

If you ran say HCI at stock, 12 instances, captured HWINFO screenie as my shares show. I'd like to see averages of MHz, CPU Core Voltage SVI2 TFN. Some what curious to see your data.

If the extra MHz matters then why not off load CPU. If you feel the urge to roll the silicon lotto die again why not IMO. I've in the past made minimal loss, by using say an ebay FVF promo, using cheapest postage. Surprising sometimes people pay close to what a new CPU is when even used for sale. Sometimes the buyer is grabbing it there as a coupon give discount and or through paypal 0% credit/finance, etc easier than say a retailer.

What cooling you using? defo due to the process/size of die, these 7nm chips have higher heat density than Zen/Zen+.
    Yeah I've noticed that too. My cpu doesn't go above 1.45v and all core voltage is more like 1.337v instead of 1.325v. I will post some screenshots when I get back to my computer for you!

I am using a BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. I only got it the other day and sadly the paste that came with it had a air bubble in so there was hardly any in the tube and the paste I had from awhile back has dried up. I'm getting temps of 56-60c playing WoW classic which only uses 10% of the cpu and 85c+ just running AIDA64 stress test. Hoping with some decent paste and a good 'X' method will sort my temps out as they don't match the reviews of the cooler. I think if I wasn't thermally limited it would be better for sure.

I will check out eBay and see what I can do. I need to start saving for Xmas for the little ones so need to work it all out. My dad has a 3600X and his boosts to 4.3Ghz stock in games. It's a shame mine doesn't. I blew my luck on my old 2700X which was a good sample.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by mikev190 View Post
    Yeah I've noticed that too. My cpu doesn't go above 1.45v and all core voltage is more like 1.337v instead of 1.325v. I will post some screenshots when I get back to my computer for you!

I am using a BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. I only got it the other day and sadly the paste that came with it had a air bubble in so there was hardly any in the tube and the paste I had from awhile back has dried up. I'm getting temps of 56-60c playing WoW classic which only uses 10% of the cpu and 85c+ just running AIDA64 stress test. Hoping with some decent paste and a good 'X' method will sort my temps out as they don't match the reviews of the cooler. I think if I wasn't thermally limited it would be better for sure.

I will check out eBay and see what I can do. I need to start saving for Xmas for the little ones so need to work it all out. My dad has a 3600X and his boosts to 4.3Ghz stock in games. It's a shame mine doesn't. I blew my luck on my old 2700X which was a good sample.
    Yeah ~1.45-1.46V sporadic peak when I use a PBO OC is max I've seen. Usual for say all cores boost average of ~4.3-4.34GHz with PBO OC, averages ~1.425V give or take few mV. Usual for stock is ~1.325V for all cores average boost of ~4.2GHz, only if I use unmodded AGESA ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.3AB/ABB UEFI do I see ~50mV on top of that case test and then a PBO OC does not break past ~4.275GHz, but still uses ~1.45V+.

When I ran AIDA64 stress test on 2700X I saw some nasty temps even on water, I can't recall what version it was, wasn't old as always use what is latest at the time. It was when I picked a specific CPU test. For me usually it's Kahru RAM Test, P95, RealBench, Y-Cruncher, some encoding and just general benching, etc. I've stuck to spreading TIM using a strip of plastic off say an amazon gift card. Works well for me, used on Intel/AMD/Threadripper.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R5 3600 - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3800MHz C16 - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

Yeah ~1.45-1.46V sporadic peak when I use a PBO OC is max I've seen. Usual for say all cores boost average of ~4.3-4.34GHz with PBO OC, averages ~1.425V give or take few mV. Usual for stock is ~1.325V for all cores average boost of ~4.2GHz, only if I use unmodded AGESA ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.3AB/ABB UEFI do I see ~50mV on top of that case test and then a PBO OC does not break past ~4.275GHz, but still uses ~1.45V+.

When I ran AIDA64 stress test on 2700X I saw some nasty temps even on water, I can't recall what version it was, wasn't old as always use what is latest at the time. It was when I picked a specific CPU test. For me usually it's Kahru RAM Test, P95, RealBench, Y-Cruncher, some encoding and just general benching, etc. I've stuck to spreading TIM using a strip of plastic off say an amazon gift card. Works well for me, used on Intel/AMD/Threadripper.
    I ran 12 instances of HCI with hwInfo running. I didn't run long as I don't have much time on tonight. The allcore speeds were higher than normal. Generally all core speed is a lousy 3950Mhz. Should be better tomorrow so will repost then when I have sorted my cooling etc. This is at stock with no PBO + 3600Mhz ram @ 1.4v SoC @ 1.05v cLDO VDDG @ 0.95v

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HCI.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	459.1 KB 
ID:	81621

ROG Junior Member Array

I've read about people updating via the bios flashback feature before but I have never have it happen to me until now.

Can anybody clue me in what to try?

I renamed the ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-ASUS-0002+.CAP to-> CH7.CAP (and made sure it's not CH7.CAP.CAP )
    Formatted two USB different sticks with FAT32
    I shut down the PC, hold the bios flashback button for around 5 seconds making the button blink 3 times, just to have it stop with a steady light.
    I''ve done atleast UEFI updates before this way and had no issues.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit2K View Post
    I've read about people updating via the bios flashback feature before but I have never have it happen to me until now.

Can anybody clue me in what to try?

I renamed the ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-ASUS-0002+.CAP to-> CH7.CAP (and made sure it's not CH7.CAP.CAP )
    Formatted two USB different sticks with FAT32
    I shut down the PC, hold the bios flashback button for around 5 seconds making the button blink 3 times, just to have it stop with a steady light.
    I''ve done atleast UEFI updates before this way and had no issues.
    -->c7h.cap

ROG Junior Member Array

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sifusanders View Post
    -->c7h.cap
    Doh!

Thx.

New ROGer Array

I feel I need to clarify that it's not exactly that I have no AMD CBS options, but only a severely reduced set.
    I've been wondering if that's just how the new bioses are or if it's the case that a gen 1 ryzen are locked out of most options for whatever reason.
    All I can acces is in the pic. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	81625

New ROGer Array

Thanks to The Stilt's info I have managed to mod SMU FW 46.34.00 into C7H & C7HWIFI UEFI 2703 & 0002.
    Just wanted to chime in with another "thank you" for this, it's nice to have these custom combinations of BIOS+FW available as the older AGESA certainly makes a difference.

Just flashed your modded 0002 on a C7H+3700X and spent a while messing around, some browsing plus a CB20 single+multicore run. I actually seem to be getting even better boosting than I previously did on 2406/2501. 1 core @ 4.475GHz, 1 @ 4.45GHz, 1 @ 4.425GHz, 2 @ 4.40GHz, 3 @ 4.375GHz. When I used 2406/2501 I never saw any core go beyond 4.425GHz. CB20 multicore is up by ~100 points vs 2606 as well.

Definite thumbs up from me!

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast