CPU CoolerCorsair H100i V2
    CaseFractal Design Meshify C
    Power SupplyCorsair RMi 1000
    Keyboard Corsair K68
    Mouse Corsair DarkCoreSE
    Mouse Pad Seriously?
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterD-Link DIR-890L

It does help. A lot. Thanks again for taking the time to help me . I hope one day I will have knowledge that I can pass on in this forum to pay it forward .

If it was not for your tips, I am sure I would have thrown my computer out the window by now.

One thing though (lol sorry), when you were saying my system may be hanging in handover due to bad settings, the confusing part is that it is intermittent. A lot of the time I do get into the OS, and my PC passes memtest and seems stable etc. If I have to restart PC (installing an app for instance), this is usually where it will hang if it is going to do it. I don't change any UEFI settings either :S. Cutting the power and letting the PC cold boot seems to get things going again. A bit of a dirty bandaid fix I guess, but it does work (for now anyway).

Thanks again! Hello from Australia

Regards,

Tunza down unda

ROG Member Array Tunza PC Specs
    Tunza PC Specs
    MotherboardCroshair 7 Hero WIFI
    ProcessorRyzen 7 2700X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14-8GTZR (4 dimms @ 3200mHzC14
    Graphics Card #1ROG STRIX Vega 64
    MonitorMSI Optix MPG27CQ
    Storage #11tb Samsung 960EVO
    Storage #21TB Samsung 850 EVO
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i V2
    CaseFractal Design Meshify C
    Power SupplyCorsair RMi 1000
    Keyboard Corsair K68
    Mouse Corsair DarkCoreSE
    Mouse Pad Seriously?
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterD-Link DIR-890L

Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    AFAIK the Corsair iCue does not support SMBus locking, see section named here for some info.

I would not use UEFI 0702, especially if you use a lot monitoring SW/ones that use the SMBus/access Super IO chip. It has a feature called ASUS WMI, but is bugged in that UEFI.

Do you happen to have a C7H WiFi?
    I am not sure what you mean by SMBus locking. essentially does this mean iCue has to be running on its own? Shutting it down to use any other software? SMBus has to do with RAM correct? I don't use corsair RAM (just keyboard, mouse, PSU, and CPU cooler) so does that mean it stays away from the SMBus? Thanks

I would appreciate you having a look at my UEFI settings . I will post them up tomorrow. Thank gupsterg!
    Last edited by Tunza; 11-08-2018 at 12:59 PM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

No worries chap , still a learning curve for me on many aspects .

POST stability and OS stability seem like 2 different things from what I have experienced.

Each time the mobo POSTs there are training aspects we do not have access to and the ones we do could affect it. So you could get differing POST setup, resulting in POST to POST variance. Again I have seen say 2 differing POSTs pass xyz stability test back to back in OS, then another POST it crumbles. Perhaps the settings or something is causing an issue for intermittent POST sticking. This is a facet of OC'ing. We take away the headroom built in to account for variance for many aspects. So these intermittent issues could occur more on x setup. As UEFI/AGESA updates can contain firmware updates for parts of CPU (ie IMC, SMU, etc), perhaps a future UEFI will be better.

SMBus can be used be by various things/apps, so yes to make your RGB RAM change color, fans, etc an app could be using it. Regardless of if you have xyz HW, when you open an application like iCue it may use the communications bus. You may per chance open another app, which also wants to use the same bus. For example HWINFO, AIDA64, CPU-Z, GPU-Z, etc, etc. If one application is not using "SMBus Locking", ie takes exclusivity, then release bus for other application, in a way "take turns", collisions/clashes can occur, leading to unexpected behaviour on system.

Recently on a thread I'm subb'd to on OCN a member was asking how do they reflash SPD of RAM, as Thaiphoon Burner highlighted it had SPD corruption. I highlighted to the member not to have any other applications open when checking RAM with TB. When member checked RAM again, no error.

I don't think you can avoid not using SMBus. What you need to be is better informed, hopefully this information helps.
    Last edited by gupsterg; 11-10-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R5 3600 - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3800MHz C16 - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

New ROGer Array

RAM voltage and speed issue

Let me start by saying sorry if this has already been addressed, I'm new to this thread. scanned but didn't anything about this specifically.

My rig:

Asus Rog Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi)
    AMD RYZEN 5 2600X 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 95W YD260XBCAFBOX
    G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (For AMD) 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2933 (PC4 23400) Model F4-2933C16D-16GTZRX
    Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W Smart Zero
    XFX Radeon RX 480 DirectX 12 RX480M8BFA6 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card
    M.2 1 WD Black NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive
    M.2 2 Mushkin Enhanced 250GB Pilot M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD NVMe 1.2 Internal Solid State
    Nothing OC'd (yet)

When I first built this rig a few months back I used 16GB Mushkin Ridgebach 2400 RAM. I had bought this ram before the 2nd gen Ryzens came out. It seemed to be working fine, but when Newegg had the G.Skill 2933 on sale I decided to switch. Cleared CMOS using the button on the back of the board.

My issue: The bios has the RAM speed set at 2133 and voltage a 1.2 volts. I manually changed the speed to 2933 and wanted to change the voltage to 1.35 (where it should be if i'm not mistaken) but I was unable to change the voltage. Click in it or use the arrows and you could not even get the option to change. Somewhere in the bios I saw it say 2133 was the max DRAM speed. What is going on here? Why can I not run this ram at its factory speed, the speed 2nd Gen Ryzen's are suppose to have apparently. After booting AI Suite 3 shows max bandwidth of 2133, recognizes the RAM properly, but shows it running at 2133. Changing settings there doesn't seem to help either. Also I am getting a Q-code 80. I have the sticks in slots A2 and B2. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated

Also, I did update the bios to the latest version about a month ago. Seems to me that you should not have to re-flash the bios after clearing CMOS, But maybe I am mistaken Thanks for any help!

gupsterg PC Specs
    Processori5 4690K
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #2HGST 2TB

I usually type a voltage into box. I do not think I have ever clicked it/selected it by keyboard and seen a drop down box for that setting. Once there is a voltage typed in within box, I can change it up or down a step using the keyboard. Usually use + / - on numeric keypad.

Not seen any page on my rig which will show 2133MHz as MAX if I have selected say 2933MHz and applied it.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R5 3600 - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3800MHz C16 - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

I usually type a voltage into box. I do not think I have ever clicked it/selected it by keyboard and seen a drop down box for that setting. Once there is a voltage typed in within box, I can change it up or down a step using the keyboard. Usually use + / - on numeric keypad.

Not seen any page on my rig which will show 2133MHz as MAX if I have selected say 2933MHz and applied it.
    Yeah type in new voltage or press the + button like a hundred times to go up one incriminate each time. Easier to just key in the amount.

As to having to clear cmos before flashing a bios. Not sure if I have understood you here, but I personally like to have cleared my bios before I flash to a new version. I also refuse to flash bios using OS. Via the BIOS option or BIOS flashback are the only two methods I am comfortable with.

That being said I don't chase every bios update, if it ain't broke why fix it.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Enthusiast Array Big_Gray PC Specs
    Big_Gray PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Zenpad Z580CA
    MotherboardCrosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 2700X
    Memory (part number)CMU16GX4M2C320016R
    Graphics Card #1ROG STRIX RX VEGA56 O8G
    MonitorAcer XF270HU 144Hz IPS
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Evo
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Evo
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseCorsair Air 540
    Power SupplySeasonic 850W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset N/A
    Mouse Pad Corsair
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Monitors
    OS Windows10 x64
    Network RouterTP-Link VR2800
    Accessory #1 Oculus Rift VR
    Accessory #2 Synology DS216+II
    Accessory #3 Synology DS116

Quote Originally Posted by mindbender33 View Post

My issue: The bios has the RAM speed set at 2133 and voltage a 1.2 volts. I manually changed the speed to 2933 and wanted to change the voltage to 1.35 (where it should be if i'm not mistaken) but I was unable to change the voltage. Click in it or use the arrows and you could not even get the option to change. Somewhere in the bios I saw it say 2133 was the max DRAM speed. What is going on here? Why can I not run this ram at its factory speed, the speed 2nd Gen Ryzen's are suppose to have apparently. After booting AI Suite 3 shows max bandwidth of 2133, recognizes the RAM properly, but shows it running at 2133. Changing settings there doesn't seem to help either. Also I am getting a Q-code 80. I have the sticks in slots A2 and B2. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated

Hi Mindbender,

In the Ai overclock section, click on DOCP and select DOCP standard from the dropdown. Your RAM speed, timings and voltage should then default to the rated settings.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Gray View Post
    Hi Mindbender,

In the Ai overclock section, click on DOCP and select DOCP standard from the dropdown. Your RAM speed, timings and voltage should then default to the rated settings.
    THANKS! That did it. I feel kinda dumb but I will explain with hopes to help someone else. I had set the voltage and speed with the other ram so I thought I knew how to do it. Defiantly user error, but I had also bought a new keyboard at the same time and this one has a numeric keypad (like any decent keyboard) and unlike the old cheap one i was using. On my old one you would use the =/+ key at the top to change the voltage in the bios. That doesn't work with the new keyboard. You must use the + on the numeric keypad. Who knows how much frustrating time I would have wasted without help from you guys. Thank you so much!

New ROGer Array

I meant to quote this as well. Thanks again!

gupsterg PC Specs
    Processori5 4690K
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #2HGST 2TB

@mindbender33

No problem .

@HiVizMan

No chap you did not understand me on this .

Usually I don't need to press the + / - hundred times as then would opt to type the voltage in . I opt to use the + / - when just testing if a step or so is what I need. I only stated both methods as it seemed member was unaware how the UEFI setting is used for input .

I do not usually do CMOSCLR, reason being I use Flashback . I don't use OS / UEFI UEFI update menu . I prefer Flashback as it is being done without system being powered, so let's say you did have flakey profile / hardware your UEFI flash is not going to be affected by it.

Flashback method uses an IC on the motherboard to flash the BIOS chip, it is essentially a hardwired hardware flash tool . As the BIOS chip would have been erased and flashed with new UEFI why would I wish to do CMOSCLR? Only time I usually consider it, is if I was having a real ball ache of time with something and wanted to exhaust all possibilities before investigating something else.

There are other benefits of Flashback which are handy .

i) It can allow you to flash a beta / older UEFI which may be blocked by other methods.
    ii) It can allow you to flash unsigned modded UEFI if you wanted to.

I always look to see if a board supports flashback TBH, as value it .
    Last edited by gupsterg; 11-11-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast