cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximus x hero 8700k overclock fine tuning

Oldyz
Level 7
Hi,
I recently upgraded from a tuf z370 plus gaming to the maximus x hero - fantastic decision. While I struggled to even get 4.8ghz stable (with big voltages) on the tuf board, almost as soon as I installed the maximus things seemed stable at 5ghz. The TUF board is a complete waste of money... but... thats not the point here.

bit of my process > I'm relatively new to overclocking, however, with the new asus board, everything seemed stable with the following after 1.5hours of prime95 26.6.
8700k 5ghz (50 x 100) delidded (by self), h115i aio cooler, vcore 1.370, LLC 6, vccio + agent auto, uncore ratio 42, avx offset 3, ram - 2133 auto voltages (I have mismatched ram - 2 x 8gb @ 2166 rated and 2 x 8gb @ 2400 rated).
BLKC adaptive disabled, all c-states, speedstep etc all auto, current power settings 140%.
Temps fine at mid to late 60s deg C under 100% load (non avx)

However, when i enabled virtualization (Which i need for daily use) it instantly crashed in windows.
I increased vcore at first to 1.375, then 1.38, 1.385 and while it was no longer crashing here, i was seeing CPU cache L0 errors at the very bottom of HWInfo64.
This didn't seem good, although from what I could google quickly, either the overclock was too high or not enough vcore.
I'm now sitting at 1.40 vcore (LLC 6) and everything seems to be stable again now. to be fair, I did skip 1.390-1.395
There are no more Windows Hardware errors appearing at the bottom of HWInfo, temps are late 60s / early 70s deg C.

Where to from here to fine tune and better my overclock?
If i start raising the uncore ratio, what should i look out for? which voltages are affected if any? Is there any benefit to this?
I hope the sccreenshots included are helpful.

Thank you for reading.

edit: it seems i still get 1 or 2 of these WHEA errors at the bottom of hwinfo64 at 1.4. Trying a reduction to 1.395 and 1.39 now.
2 REPLIES 2

Deepcuts
Level 10
Set it to 4.7 @ 1.200V or 4.8 @ 1.230 and call it a day. Lower temperatures, lower fan speeds, lower noise.
Difference between 4.7(8) to 5.0 is minimal. Not to mention you already have an AVX offset of -3.

Deepcuts wrote:
Set it to 4.7 @ 1.200V or 4.8 @ 1.230 and call it a day. Lower temperatures, lower fan speeds, lower noise.
Difference between 4.7(8) to 5.0 is minimal. Not to mention you already have an AVX offset of -3.

thank you for taking the time to reply.

My system is already very quiet even at full load, and I guess some of this was about learning as much as i could also.
I've stuck with 5.0ghz @ 1.39 at the moment, upping the system agent voltage seemed to reduce those errors from about 4 in an hour, to perhaps 2.