cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to achieve 5.0ghz on Maximus Hero X (Wi-Fi) board + 8700k?

Pervy_Jutsu
Level 7
Hi there,

Been messing around with overclocking my PC recently (I am pretty new when it comes to this kind of stuff so bear with me).

So far I have only been able to achieve stability at 4.8ghz (with 1.30V voltage). I also have 16GB (2x8GB) G.skill DDR4-4133 RAM running on the XMP profile (19-19-19-39) if that matters. Even the RAM is requiring about 1.45V DRAM voltage to be stable which I don't really mind.

I have CPU VCCIO voltage set to 1.15 and System Agent voltage set to 1.20 as that is what seems to keep my system stable. Higher/lower voltages here seems to cause instability.

Is there any other settings I could take a look into in order to achieve 5.0ghz stable? I would like to avoid having to increase CPU voltage further than 1.30V (or perhaps 1.35V max) because my temperatures shoot up to 95+ degrees when running stability tests such as Prime95. I am using a NZXT Kraken X62 cooler for my 8700k.

Other possibility relevant BIOS settings:
- I have AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset set to 3
- CPU Load-Line Calibration set to Level 6
- CPU Core/Cache CUrrent Limit Max set to 255.50
- Min/Max CPU Cache Ratio: 42
- BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage: Disabled

I got all of these settings from this Youtube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU

I feel like I obviously did not hit the silicone lottery when it comes to overclocking and I don't really mind keeping my current settings as they are but just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions that I could try to push even further.

Thanks! 😄
4 REPLIES 4

Snakeyes
Level 11
Smarter minds than mine (99% of members) might have a solution, but I fear that your high temperatures at 1.35 V will prove to be a major roadblock. You can thank Intel's crappy thermal paste for that. I am assuming that the thermal paste on your CPU cooler was properly applied. The real-world performance between 4.8 and 5.0 is not really noticeable so I would not really be concerned as long as you temperatures at your existing voltage remain reasonable.
It would be interesting to see if your individual core running speeds fluctuate from 4.8 GHz when running under slightly high loads. Try keeping a program such as HW Monitor (free) running during daily use and checking if your core speeds fluctuate.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

OldMike65
Level 8
Well Snakeyes was pretty much on track, what you should do now, is DELID your CPU using Thermal Grizzy product. This will make a huge difference on your Temps. Then after your cpu is delidded, you may be able to reach 5.0

Carlyle2020
Level 10
:cool: "You should read the whole book. 'Cause the warnings...the warnings come after the spells..." A quote from Dr. Strange.

i believe Hulk would have a jesting comment about the size of your radiator as well in antoher episode 😄

....Until then: if you have an old 1-4 gb stick, formated to fat 32, kindly put it into the Bios labeled usb slot and make a Bios screenshot within Bios, using F12 i believe, of everthing you have changed manually and upload it. That would help quiet a bit.

thx in advance

Kind Regards
Carlyle

ps disable xmp.
It makes at least academically no sense to give the chipsettings free reign with the xmp and then overwrtiing many parts of it of it anyway.

Snakeyes
Level 11
XMP has one advantage, especially for new overclockers. In addition to memory adjustments, it creates a mild overclock in the PC with a set of overly conservative overclock settings/voltages. It thus, improves the probability of a successful boot even though some of the settings are overly conservative (high voltages in I/O, SA etc. etc.
Carlyle2020 is absolutely correct in that, fine tuning the overclock would require further changes to these new settings.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.