cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Tactic Pro keyboard stopped working during POST/boot

globalist
Level 7
OK so here's the scenario that's started happening a few days ago.

My Strix keyboard does not register any keystrokes during POST/boot - this wouldn't be an issue but I have a boot password set up in BIOS so I kinda need to be able to use the KB. It only starts working on the Windows login screen. To get through BOOT before Windows, I have to plug in another KB which works just fine for entering the boot password.

Any experience with this issue? Why would the KB stop working before Windows boots up?

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Which motherboard do you have?
Did you try connecting the Tactic Pro to different USB ports?
Do you remember if there were any updates or changes made recently?
Is the other keyboard also USB?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Which motherboard do you have?
Did you try connecting the Tactic Pro to different USB ports?
Do you remember if there were any updates or changes made recently?
Is the other keyboard also USB?

Hi,

my mobo is Gigabyte p55a-ud3r so it's quite old. Tried the Strix in a different port to no avail. No updates or changes that I'm aware of. Yes the other KB is also USB.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
It may be worthwhile to check with Gigabyte directly regarding any settings which may affect USB keyboards.

Our motherboards had a USB enumerate function. What you can try instead is shutdown and turn off the power from the wall, and try again. Could also try reverting the BIOS to defaults, or load a previous profile.

Have you tried the Tactic Pro on a different PC?

globalist
Level 7
Welp it's working on a different PC. Gotta try a few things here then.

globalist
Level 7
So I tried your suggestions, including the cable and loading a previously working BIOS profile (i had a backup from January 2018), but none of them helped. This is extremely weird. The only other thing that comes to mind is I spilled some whiskey on the KB but I have since cleaned it thoroughly and it IS working on the other PC so not sure why this one should still be affected by it?

globalist wrote:
So I tried your suggestions, including the cable and loading a previously working BIOS profile (i had a backup from January 2018), but none of them helped. This is extremely weird. The only other thing that comes to mind is I spilled some whiskey on the KB but I have since cleaned it thoroughly and it IS working on the other PC so not sure why this one should still be affected by it?

If the keyboard is working on another PC, then it's best to ask Gigabyte for a solution. There might be a simple solution.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
If the keyboard is working on another PC, then it's best to ask Gigabyte for a solution. There might be a simple solution.

I don't think Gigabyte can do anything about this seeing as nothing has changed since the KB was last working, except I spilled the whiskey.

Anyway, I found a curious thing by accident - the only keys that DO work before Windows logon are the M1-M10 macro keys that I have programmed with various macros! Does this lead anywhere in our troubleshooting? In any case a good interim solution is I can just macro the BIOS/POST password and be able to enter the password this way without having to plug in the other keyboard, lol.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Or just have a password for Windows...
Do you really need a password when the PC posts? You should be able to apply a password to secure the BIOS if you're worried about that.

globalist
Level 7
I do have a pwd for Windows. Having one for BIOS is an added layer of security.