cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jumping PSU

wpwatkins
Level 7
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum but here goes... I was filling my new water loop and left the 8 Pin 12v cable (for CPU) connected while I jumped the 24 pin. Does anyone know if that could damage the CPU? I have noticed higher temps since I expanded my loop to include my 2 GPU's. I'm running on an EK-SE 240 Slim and EK-SE 360 Slim. Should be more than enough to displace the heat generated.

Thanks,
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
Shouldn't matter. That extra connection is only used when power is needed. It's not going to push any excess power through the board or CPU.

Your higher temps are simply because you are dumping more heat into the loop. If you really think the rads are under performing you might have an air bubble. You could try tipping the case over in a different orientation.

Also you may want to add a flow meter. Perhaps your pump is having issues or you have too much restriction for the pump to overcome.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

wpwatkins
Level 7
Great thanks!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you left the 8 pin plugged in, the CPU will have been heating up as you filled the loop right...if it received cooling pretty quick, then I should imagine it's fine...if it was sat there with no cooling it wont have been happy...did the system shut down at any point?

However, this will not have any bearing on temps...I mean, it's not a sign of a damaged CPU that you have higher CPU temps now...

wpwatkins
Level 7
I cycled the PSU on and off for seconds at a time until the loop was full, after the loop was full I let it run for a couple of minutes to get any big air bubbles out. The computer works fine with the exception of temps of a few C higher than before, which would be explained buy adding two GTX 980 Ti's to the loop.