cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x99 gaming Only seeing 2 sticks of ram. CPU-Z see 4

Swompen
Level 7
Hey there folks!

I have an issue that i've sat with for about 3 days now that i can't wrap my head around.

I had to get a new motherboard because my old one got a corrupted bios that i could not fix so i got the 'cheapest' one i could find because money are scares at the moment.

So my issue is that in Bios, dxdiag and windows overall shows 8gb whilst CPU-Z shows 16 GB, and the intresting thing it only shows when i place the ram on the right side in the "wrong" slots, in slot 1 & 3 instead 2 & 4. if i do it as the manual says i should it does not show up in CPU-Z either.

I've googled and checked most things and re-seated the CPU like 5 times already and nothing.

However, i found something that made me cry a bit, since i was stressted for time & money when i ordered it i did not check the QVL of the motherboard and after days of trying to fix this issue i did and saw this:

https://gyazo.com/f601955e49177c5abf95e808fb2f899a

Now.... Here's my question. does this mean that it does NOT work with 4x4gb sticks, i'm confused since it says Single but it also says 4 dims are supported.

So i need someone that's smarter than me to help me.

Regards, Swompen.
9 REPLIES 9

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Swompen wrote:
Hey there folks!

I have an issue that i've sat with for about 3 days now that i can't wrap my head around.

I had to get a new motherboard because my old one got a corrupted bios that i could not fix so i got the 'cheapest' one i could find because money are scares at the moment.

So my issue is that in Bios, dxdiag and windows overall shows 8gb whilst CPU-Z shows 16 GB, and the intresting thing it only shows when i place the ram on the right side in the "wrong" slots, in slot 1 & 3 instead 2 & 4. if i do it as the manual says i should it does not show up in CPU-Z either.

I've googled and checked most things and re-seated the CPU like 5 times already and nothing.

However, i found something that made me cry a bit, since i was stressted for time & money when i ordered it i did not check the QVL of the motherboard and after days of trying to fix this issue i did and saw this:

https://gyazo.com/f601955e49177c5abf95e808fb2f899a

Now.... Here's my question. does this mean that it does NOT work with 4x4gb sticks, i'm confused since it says Single but it also says 4 dims are supported.

So i need someone that's smarter than me to help me.

Regards, Swompen.

Are you enabling XMP when this happens? Sounds like the system is dropping channels due to instability.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Are you enabling XMP when this happens? Sounds like the system is dropping channels due to instability.

I'm running latest bios and it's not toched at all in settings, i THINK XMP is disabled at stock?

Swompen wrote:
I'm running latest bios and it's not toched at all in settings, i THINK XMP is disabled at stock?

Try reseating the CPU if not done so already and XMP is not enabled.

Silent Scone wrote:
Try reseating the CPU if not done so already and XMP is not enabled.

Done it several times already.
So.. My question stands. does my ram not work with 4 sticks in it? (Check gyzo link for refrence what i mean).

Swompen wrote:
Done it several times already.
So.. My question stands. does my ram not work with 4 sticks in it? (Check gyzo link for refrence what i mean).

In a fully functional system all four sticks should be detected if the system is at stock. Try testing each stick individually in slot A1.

Silent Scone wrote:
In a fully functional system all four sticks should be detected if the system is at stock. Try testing each stick individually in slot A1.

Right, after some testing all 4 sticks worked as single, re seated every stick again and now out of nowhere i have 12gb instead of 8. Still missing 4 tho.
And i double checked all ram sticks for marks and stuff and all were clean.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Craig
Level 8
Try adding a little more to the System Agent Voltage. I have had this in the past and that is what allowed all 4 sticks to show up for me.

Axle_Grease
Level 7
While in the CMOS Setup you can see which channel(s) is not detected under Extreme Tweaker --> DRAM Timing Control. Back in the Extreme Tweaker menu, increase the DRAM Voltage ( CHA, CHB ) or ( CHC, CHD ) a little. Increasing the voltage by 0.02V was sufficient to get all four modules detected on my PC. However, I have not needed to tweak the DRAM voltage when using any of the the 3xxx series BIOSes.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown