cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VMK - 13 months dead battery (maybe not)

StarJack
Level 11
So my GL702VMK has a few times over the last 3 months started reporting the incorrect amount of battery life remaining. When this would happen, the battery LED would also start blinking orange. I found a thread where somebody said to hold the power button on boot for 10 seconds to reset the power management or calibrate, I'm not sure which. This seemed to solve the problem, the LED was green and things seemed to return to normal. Today I noticed my battery not going above 94% and sure enough the LED started blinking orange. I, once again, held the power button on boot. This time the battery LED remained orange and continues to do so. It remains at 94% in windows, not budging any further.

This is a real shame, for numerous reasons. I bought this laptop on April 10th, 2017 and it had a 1 year warranty which has now, obviously expired. I've loved this laptop and took great care of it, never having gaming sessions longer than 2 hours, worked to keep the temps down using the numerous tricks we needed to resort to as owners of the GL line. I just priced a new battery for the GL702VMK and it is $213 CDN. Painful. I just honestly hope the issue is actually with the battery and not some other circuitry.

Joining the masses of disappointed GL owners, I guess.

StarJack
4 REPLIES 4

StarJack
Level 11
The model number for the battery is apparently C41N1541. Is the only place to purchase this part directly from ASUS? I found an ASUS Accesories site which seems to be legit, but it's in France. I am in Canada. Is there not a closer location for ASUS replacement batteries in North America? Does anybody have any information on this or has someone gone through a similar scenario? Some help would be appreciated.

StarJack

StarJack
Level 11
Update:

So for background information purposes, I always have my laptop plugged in. I never use it on battery. So the battery is always between 93/94% and full charge. I use it all day and at night I hibernate it, until morning, when I begin using it again. As I stated, this time, it was reporting 94% and not charging further, even though it said it was 'charging'.

With the orange battery LED staying on and the battery not going beyond 94%, this morning I decided to discharge the battery down to 85%. I unplugged it, ran a stress test on the CPU to eat some juice and quickly get down to 85%. Once it hit 85% I plugged it back in and it reported "18 minutes until full charge". Once it got to "11 minutes to full charge", the battery LED turned back to green. It eventually charged back to 100%, although it took about 3 times as long as it was reporting in minutes to get there. No more orange LED and it seems to be functioning normally.

I'm glad that it appears everything is fine now, although this behavior was strange, and I can't help but feel that this isn't the last battery issue I will have. Hopefully if anybody else has similar issues, this thread may help. If I encounter any other issues regarding this behavior I will update this thread again.

StarJack

Sounds like to me, that its just the battery protection. To maximize the lifespan of the battery the laptop won't always fully recharge. Lithium batteries need more electricity to top them off, so it's safer and easier on the battery to charge only to 94%.

Saragrl wrote:
Sounds like to me, that its just the battery protection. To maximize the lifespan of the battery the laptop won't always fully recharge. Lithium batteries need more electricity to top them off, so it's safer and easier on the battery to charge only to 94%.

Yea, I can see that, but why would the battery LED stay orange while at 94%? This behavior is different than it has been. I do think the issue is with software power management and not the hardware. At least I hope.

StarJack