cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD 2700x - Strix x470F beginners issues

JargonHolpick
Level 7
Hi guys,

I swapped my 7700k and progaming board for a 2700X sitting in a Strix x470F.
All look nice but AMD is new for me.
Bios looks a bit different, other names and figures but the figure that I do know is VCore.
When running the desktop VCore goes like1.515 volts.
I guess pretty high, no?

So I setup the XMP profile for my 3000mhz Lpx ram and lowered the vcore by negatif offest.
Voltage stays realy high.

People here with similar setup willing to share there settings? Global settings or more precise, all welcome.
Setup is kinda different from what I knew from my intel and z170 motherboard.
Not interessted in oc yet. Would like to get my system stable and understandable.
Afterwards I will try some OC.

thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Fadeout32
Level 7
JargonHolpick wrote:
Hi guys,

I swapped my 7700k and progaming board for a 2700X sitting in a Strix x470F.
All look nice but AMD is new for me.
Bios looks a bit different, other names and figures but the figure that I do know is VCore.
When running the desktop VCore goes like1.515 volts.
I guess pretty high, no?

So I setup the XMP profile for my 3000mhz Lpx ram and lowered the vcore by negatif offest.
Voltage stays realy high.

People here with similar setup willing to share there settings? Global settings or more precise, all welcome.
Setup is kinda different from what I knew from my intel and z170 motherboard.
Not interessted in oc yet. Would like to get my system stable and understandable.
Afterwards I will try some OC.

thanks

Thanks for starting this conversation. I'm also running into the sort of voltages that reviewers such as Overclock 3D have said are too high for the part (2700x). This is with everything but memory set to auto. Would like to know what others think. One thing I have read is that XFR2 continually makes adjustments to the speeds and voltages applied to each core and its possible a lot of the software that reports the voltages isn't reporting it accurately. 3D Mark for example does not yet know what the processor is.

Fadeout32 wrote:
... and its possible a lot of the software that reports the voltages isn't reporting it accurately. 3D Mark for example does not yet know what the processor is.

Temps readout in bios should be right on the spot. There I noticed the 1.515v and more.
These voltages are no hickups or spikes. They are constant for quite some time.

JargonHolpick
Level 7
After doing some serious reading and research I think I found a way to get rid of this high voltage.
I stopped using the XMP profile and fill in the ram specs manually.
Also, setting the ramvoltage manually to 1.35v.
Then I went into the tweaker tab of the bios and set:
-AI overclock to manual
-BCLK to 100
-CPU Core Ratio to 40 or higher
-Performance enhancer to default
-Performance Bias to none
-Memory freq to 3000 (in my case)

After reboot and go straight in to BIOS, the voltage dropped to 1.212V.
I had to put a positive offset to make sure the system didn't get underpowered.

So the Vcore issue is camouflaged. That is how I see it.
What's the use of these auto AI stuff I you can 't make use of it?
It's made for getting the max out of the CPU when needed and make it as green as possible when doing nothing.
Also, the cooler that comes with the CPU is 'cool' by looks and does a decent job but 4.3 as stated on the box of the CPU, noop, never saw it.
Temperature was an issue and made the CPU throttle down.

System keeps being unstable.
Random freezes or reboots.
Sometime the qleds show a problem with ram or GPU or CPU. Most of the times it boots and works for quite some time but all of a sudden screen goes black and that's it.

I hope people can do something with this info.
It was nice meeting team Red but I guess I stay with team blue for a while.
There is a lot of potential in Ryzen, a lot but the instability makes me look at the other way.
As well system as applicationwise there are many conflicts, but that might be just me.

Im running the 2700x on the strix x370-f. Now im overclocking mine but will get some pictures tommorow of my settings to give you an idea. But from memory ive left my voltages on auto and i never exceed 1.40v most of the time it goes between 1.21v and 1.35v. Thats running a baseclock of 3.9ghz and a constant boost of 4.4ghz. With 3000mhz ddr4 running at 3250mhz. At the settings the pc runs spot on. I found that if i use auto it limits itself to 4.1ghz but voltage stays around 1.45v and if i use docp mode the system is very unstable.