cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to increase idle voltage at adaptive mode?

Yarjard
Level 7
Hello guys,

CPU: 7940X
MB: Rampage VI Extreme - BIOS 1301
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16-8GTZR - 8G*4

I've had a stable overclock on my 7940X 4.5G @ 1.15v , but I want it reduce voltage at idle.

here is my current setting and test result, Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage is 1.15v

but i got BSOD/reboot at idle/light loads several times. I guess some of my core's idle voltages are too low.
So I wonder to know how to increase idle voltage without changing the load voltage.

Thanks in advance!
46 REPLIES 46

Nate152
Hi Yarjard

The offset affects both idle and turbo voltage, I don't think there is a way to increase one without the other.

It seems you need more idle voltage, try the offset to -0.050v.

If it now wants to run at 1.170v try LLC a number or two lower.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Yarjard

The offset affects both idle and turbo voltage, I don't think there is a way to increase one without the other.

It seems you need more idle voltage, try the offset to -0.050v.

If it now wants to run at 1.170v try LLC a number or two lower.

Thanks for reply! But my LLC is auto, which Level should I set ?

Nate152
For my board the Maximus IX Code, Level 6 works good. I set 1.440v and it goes occasionally to 1.456v.

How you want to use LLC is check the cpu voltage when running a test to see if it's at or very close to what you're setting then adjust accordingly. Start at Level 5 and see where that puts the cpu voltage under load.

If your board has these features these will also help keep the cpu voltage close to what you set:

SVID Behavior - Best Case Scenario

Go to CPU Internal Power Management

IA AC Load Line - .01
IA DC Load Line - .01

Try this with a -0.050v offset and give us a report.

Nate152 wrote:
For my board the Maximus IX Code, Level 6 works good. I set 1.440v and it goes occasionally to 1.456v.

How you want to use LLC is check the cpu voltage when running a test to see if it's at or very close to what you're setting then adjust accordingly. Start at Level 5 and see where that puts the cpu voltage under load.

If your board has these features these will also help keep the cpu voltage close to what you set:

SVID Behavior - Best Case Scenario

Go to CPU Internal Power Management

IA AC Load Line - .01
IA DC Load Line - .01

Try this with a -0.050v offset and give us a report.

I can't find what you said in Rampage VI Extreme's BIOS(IA AC Load Line - .01 and IA DC Load Line - .01)
I think because Skylake-X Integrates some of the features of FIVR,no matter which level I set the result is still the same.
The result with -0.050v offset

Nate152
I see an offset of -0.050v raised the idle voltage and this should help with your BSOD's.

Your board is more advanced than mine, I see it's showing voltage for each individual core, is there a way to sync the voltage or set the same voltage for all cores ?

The IA Load Lines are found in "CPU Internal Power Management", this should be either on the extreme tweaker tab or advanced tab - cpu configuration.

Nate152 wrote:
I see an offset of -0.050v raised the idle voltage and this should help with your BSOD's.

Your board is more advanced than mine, I see it's showing voltage for each individual core, is there a way to sync the voltage or set the same voltage for all cores ?

The IA Load Lines are found in "CPU Internal Power management", this should be either on the extreme tweaker tab or advanced tab - cpu configuration.

But Just like you said, the offset affects both idle and turbo voltage.
If I reduce the offset value(-0.078->-0.05),the load voltage like core 0 will raise to 1.2v, I think is too high for 4.4G
And yes, I can sync the voltage or set the same voltage for all cores

Nate152 wrote:

The IA Load Lines are found in "CPU Internal Power Management", this should be either on the extreme tweaker tab or advanced tab - cpu configuration.

Nate, these values aren't applicable on this platform.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Nate152
Ok thank you

Try syncing the voltage to 1.15v.

In the meantime I'm going to double check where the IA Load Lines are located, this is an important setting that may help.

CPU Internal Power Management is on the Extreme Tweaker tab down with DiGi+ and Dram Timing Control. Click it and you'll see the IA AC and IA DC Load Lines at the bottom.

Set them both to .01

Nate152 wrote:
Ok thank you

Try syncing the voltage to 1.15v.

In the meantime I'm going to double check where the IA Load Lines are located, this is an important setting that may help.

CPU Internal Power Management is on the Extreme Tweaker tab down with DiGi+ and Dram Timing Control. Click it and you'll see the IA AC and IA DC Load Lines at the bottom.

Set them both to .01

Unfortunately, it seems X299's Bios Setting is different from z270...
And "Try syncing the voltage to 1.15v" means use the Manual mode?