cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small piece fell off

wpwatkins
Level 7
Hey All!

When I was installing a new water block on one of my GPU's a small metal piece fell off when one of the screws wouldn't budge. It's on the back of the PCB directly adjacent to a memory module on the other side. I've included a pic of the identical GPU that wasn't damaged. Here are my questions:

1. Should I bother repairing it? (I lost the piece when it came off and was wondering if I could find a replacement)
2. Will it damage the memory module if I don't replace it?

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks,
4 REPLIES 4

stewart_1
Level 8
Hi wpwatkins.

It looks like you managed to knock off a surface mounted capacitor, or two. These are soldered to the PCB by a high precision SMD machines which means it's very difficult to re-solder by hand (a moot point if the cap is already missing of course). This means getting it repaired might not be possible. It is possible however, that the card will still run - although you may experience odd or inconsistent behavior depending on your luck. Perhaps you could do some testing on an older motherboard / platform to prevent damage to your main rig. Good luck.... and feel free to keep us updated!

stewart@asus wrote:
Hi wpwatkins.

It looks like you managed to knock off a surface mounted capacitor, or two. These are soldered to the PCB by a high precision SMD machines which means it's very difficult to re-solder by hand (a moot point if the cap is already missing of course). This means getting it repaired might not be possible. It is possible however, that the card will still run - although you may experience odd or inconsistent behavior depending on your luck. Perhaps you could do some testing on an older motherboard / platform to prevent damage to your main rig. Good luck.... and feel free to keep us updated!

Just one capacitor came off. I'm just experiencing some infrequent BSOD's or screenlocks… Can it cause damage to my MOBO?

JustinThyme
Level 13
You can stil most likely get it repaired, not with components that lay flat on the board and look pretty but functional.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
You can stil most likely get it repaired, not with components that lay flat on the board and look pretty but functional.

I'm ok with functional. How do I make the repair happen?