cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice concerning the Maximus X Hero

Tsugumori
Level 7
Hey there. This is my first post. I am planning a build with the 8700k and the Hero board. I want to mess with overclocking quite a bit. I am no expert but that doesn't mean I won't learn. I had two main questions.

First, I can't afford a custom loop. I've read many threads arguing for and against AIOs and HSFs. I can't get a clear consensus.
I am considering a corsair 115i Pro. Would I be better off getting the biggest HSF I can find instead? If not, which AIO do you recommend? Are there ones out their aren't popular but are better than NZXT and Corsair and EVGA?

Second, for the Hero owners. Is the audio popping affecting everyone? Is it driving you crazy? From what I've read, there won't be a fix and to be honest, I won't be able to handle it. I've read using a bluetooth audio thingy mcbob solves the issue. But, I assume you lose tons of quality with that. So, that sucks. Will a dedicated sound card bypass the issue? Are all Maximum boards suffering from audio issues or just Hero boards? Are there any Hero users that are just being driven crazy by the issue and wish they would've chosen a different board?

Thanks for the replies and I hope to be joining you lads soon.
5 REPLIES 5

Zammin
Level 9
I have an X hero without any audio issues, so I doubt it's every single one. I would hope that ASUS would at least replace the boards that are effected if they aren't going to fix it though..

I've had a Corsair H115i and I ended up moving to a custom loop because I wanted a bigger radiator and to cool the GPU as well. It did an OK job at cooling the CPU when I had it, but the radiator was in the top of my case and the GPU was air cooled at the time, so the heat from the GPU would pass through the radiator and cause the water temp to rise quite a bit during long gaming sessions. If you do get an AIO cooler, perhaps it would be better to mount the radiator in the front of the case if you can.

4.8Ghz @1.265V was the best OC I got on my 8700k with the H115i and the temps reached the mid/high 80s at times in realbench. With the custom loop it reaches the mid/high 70s. My CPU is not delidded.

Zammin wrote:
I have an X hero without any audio issues, so I doubt it's every single one. I would hope that ASUS would at least replace the boards that are effected if they aren't going to fix it though..

I've had a Corsair H115i and I ended up moving to a custom loop because I wanted a bigger radiator and to cool the GPU as well. It did an OK job at cooling the CPU when I had it, but the radiator was in the top of my case and the GPU was air cooled at the time, so the heat from the GPU would pass through the radiator and cause the water temp to rise quite a bit during long gaming sessions. If you do get an AIO cooler, perhaps it would be better to mount the radiator in the front of the case if you can.

4.8Ghz @1.265V was the best OC I got on my 8700k with the H115i and the temps reached the mid/high 80s at times in realbench. With the custom loop it reaches the mid/high 70s.

I do plan on delidding so perhaps it is worth it to get a HSF if I do that. I do wish to hit at least 5 GHz. It's good to hear that some boards don't have the audio issue.

Delta9K
Level 9
I have not experienced any audio issues popping or otherwise.

I am running a Corsair H150i, I have four other systems three using Corsair H115's and another using a Fractal s36. I have had no issues with the coolers and they work as expected. I will say that the Corsair 360 cooler out performs the Fractal 360 at same RPMs even after replacing the Fractal fans with Corsair ML-pros. I digress - point is I have had good results using CLC's.

I would think that you could easily hit 5GHz without delidding if you cool it well (280 or better AIO).

My 8700K (delidded) rides on a Maximus X Hero @ 5.1Ghz with 1.312v and LLC 5, no AVX offset. Temps after an 8 hour Prime95 run averaged 68c with highest peak at 74c. If I bump the voltage to 1.325v I can reach 5.2GHz with temps increasing to an average of 72c and peaking @ 78c with an 8 hour run of prime.

My computer room has an ambient of 22c. The Chassis I am using is a Corsair 500D, with two 140mm fans in the top and a 120 in the rear all exhaust. The GPU is a 1080ti. So there is not a lack of heat internally and the system still works well and reasonably cool even with the AIO mounted in front as intake. Your mileage will vary of coarse depending on chassis chosen, air-flow, cpu and obviously your ambient temps. I am sure a open loop system will cool you better especially if you add the GPU into the loop. However, for me the convenience of the AIO's and the fact that they are relatively inexpensive (compared to an open loop) make them my go to coolers. As far as heatsink tower coolers, there are really good ones out there and some are rather sexy looking (Dark Rock Pro) I would use one but again I prefer the AIO's and their looks in builds. Its a matter of personal preference really I suppose when it comes down to it. That and how extreme you want to take your overclock.
Other systems in addition to rig in the profile specs:
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Hey Tsugumori,

Use AIO for see through cases and big air (ND-H14/15)for a non see through case, complemented with sound dampening material (FT02).

Rgds Carlyle

ps i run prime95 with 82 degree c on the hottest core after 6 hours with: 5.0/0AVX/1.285/LLC4/16GB/3200
on a 9 year old noctua NH-D14 with 2 orig. fans.
Games run @62

ASUS is putting massive 4 phases on the Maximus Motherboards.

https://youtu.be/bLO-vYjJN-I