cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Not Booting.

Retired
Not applicable
So I just got a new PC last week. I had it built instead of building it myself due to circumstances, was working spectacularly but I didn't like the wiring job, everything was just dumped in front of the mobo, so thursday I decided to rewire it. I made sure I was grounded, made sure the power was off and unplugged and all that, and did the job, routing as much as I could through the back. I also connected the 3 case front panel USB ports that the store didn't bother to connect. Now the computer won't start. At first I was getting maybe a second where the LED fans would start up, then shut down. Now the power button doesn't do anything at all. I've tried pressing the start and reset buttons on the mobo, but nothing happened then either. There are no beeps, and there weren't the first time either (when there were signs of power).

My specs:

Rampage III Extreme Mobo
i7 950 CPU
Corsair H70 CPU Cooler
Corsair XMS3 RAM 12 GB (6x2, got 2 packs of CMX6GX3M3A1600C9, since together they were cheaper than the equivalent 12GB pack)
EVGA GTX 460 EE
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Western Digital 500GB HDD (WD5001AALS)
Thermaltake Element V Black Edition Case

I've tested the PSU, it's in perfect working order. Sadly, I could not test any of the other parts (such as the RAM or the graphics card), but I'm certain they aren't the problem. Right now there are no signs of the power buttons (both case and mobo) doing anything at all. The power, reset, RoG logo and bios LEDs light up when I turn on the power supply, but that's about it. Also, I found a screw on the floor of the case, it had come from the top fan, but since it was screwed from the outside of the case I have no idea how it could have fallen into the case and touched the motherboard. I actually don't know how it could have gotten into the case at all to be honest. It's possible that it fried the motherboard, but would it do that if there was no power at all running through it? The screw definitely wasn't touching anything other than the case when the power was first turned on. The motherboard definitely wasn't touching the case when the power was turned back on, so I don't think the case fried it either.

All the wires are properly plugged in, including a second, 4 pin CPU connector that wasn't plugged in originally (I found it odd that the manual specified it as an 8pin, but the mobo slot is only 4 pins, with a cover on the other 4 pins, assuming they are there at all. The wire was modular, so it fit anyways, but still, that's something that seems off). Assuming there was a reason it wasn't plugged in, I tried without it and with it, no difference, still nothing going on. A friend who works on motherboards and circuitry for a living (I'm bringing it to him tomorrow to check it out) said the problem seems that the motherboard is not telling the circuits to start pulling power from the 12 V cable.

At this point I'm thinking my best option is to just RMA the board, although I really hope that there is a way to fix this without doing that.
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
Something like this can happen for a variety of reasons. The best way to fix it is always to disconnect everything and start over. I would even pull the board out in case a screw got trapped behind the board or one of the wires got damaged. If you can set the board on a non-conductive surface and start with just the 24pin and 8 pin motherboard connectors that would be best. Don't bother with SATA drives, graphics cards, or non-essential headers such as front USB. The only header you need is the power switch and even that is just a luxury since you can jump the pins on the motherboard with a jumper or metal object. Note that power switches are momentary so if you decide to jump it directly you only need to touch and remove something.

As to the 4vs8 pin connection to the motherboard, the 8 pin version is generally not required unless you are drawing a lot of power due to overclocking but it doesn't hurt to have it connected. I would remove the cover and connect all 8 pins just so you have the power if it is ever needed. There was no reason for them not to connect it other than laziness or incompetence.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
The two power ports are actually 8-pin, remove the caps from both of them (if you have two 8 pin connectors to plug in). I don't know why they capped them, but I thought the same thing, until I looked at it closer.

You also might want to check to see what the red led's say by the other power connector that is closed to wear your drives are, under the Start and restart buttons.

Retired
Not applicable
Already answered... xeromist beat me to it. : )

Retired
Not applicable
No other LEDS are lit other than the Bios LED, power, reset and RoG logo. I was iffy about taking the entire thing apart simply because I don't have any thermal paste. I'll see if I can find some however.

xeromist
Don't take the heatsink off then. I've found that I can usually get the mobo out with the heatsink still attached if I'm careful. However, if you removed the heatsink in your efforts to clean things up you may have to go back there again. If the CPU has bent pins or the socket has become damaged then that could also cause a failed boot.

Anyway, if you don't have thermal paste then try disconnecting as much as you can first. The worst that will happen is that the problem is still not fixed. Just be careful not to keep trying over and over. If there is a short it can be harmful to the PSU to keep relying on the fault protection.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I didn't move the heatsink, but rather the radiator attached to the back of the case. I just took the fans off and changed them to exhaust rather than intake. I know this increases temps, but my temps were quite solid since I wasn't OCing the CPU yet, and the lack of a dust filter in the back led to my fans being covered in dust after only a few days, which prompted me to switch them.