Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array Franziska PC Specs
    Franziska PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    Processor5930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair DP DDR4 2800 16GB (4x4)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 980
    Sound CardFostex HP-A3 (USB)
    MonitorNEC PA272W
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
    Storage #2Seagate Constellation ES.3 4TB (2x RAID0)
    CPU CoolerAquacomputer Kryus Cuplex (Custom WC Loop)
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Power SupplySeasonic Platinum 1000W
    Keyboard Ducky Shine 3 TKL
    Mouse Mionix Avior 7000
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Rampage VI Extreme problems, need assistance please.

Hey everyone

It's been almost 6 months since I have build my new PC with the R6E and so far it's been like a wild rollercoaster ride, ups and downs and new surprises every week.

First off my detailed system specifications:

ASUS Rampage VI Extreme (latest BIOS version 1301, previously used 1004)
    Intel i9-7940X (bought delidded from caseking.de)
    G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB (8x8) F4-3733C17-8GTZR (on QVL)
    Nvidia Titan Xp
    Intel Optane SSD 900p 280GB (U.2 2.5" version)
    Seasonic PRIME 1200W
    NEC SpectraView Reference 322UHD-2

Caselabs Merlin SM8
    EKWB CoolStream XE480+360 Radiator
    Aquacomputer cuplex kryos NEXT .925 silver CPU block
    Aquacomputer kryographics GPU block

Windows 10 Enterprise 1709 and prevously used 1607, both up to date.

The story so far:

When I first build this PC in early November 2017 everything worked fine for about 2 weeks, stock settings, no overclock of any installed components, and then the system just randomly froze up in Windows 10. Turned out to be a defect memory kit which I replaced with a different one that is on the QVL for this board.

The ASMedia USB ports (first row on the back) also randomly stopped working, with a device manager code 43, defective hardware detected. This happened every couple days and it took a few power cycles to get them working again. The Intel USB ports worked fine.

So after that first incident with the memory life has been good for 2 months and then the next surprise happened, random bluescreens not pointing to anything, just saying CRITIAL_PROCESS_DIED. No dumpfiles generated. Again this also happened with default settings and no overclock.

I used Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB at that time which is based on 1607 and decided to try a clean installation of 1709 FCU.

Everything worked again for a few weeks, USB ports on and off as they please, and then the next thing happened: I installed the latest Aura software to play around with it for a while and the next day after a cold boot I was greeted by 48GB RAM. 2 of the 8 memory sticks were no longer detected by the board.

Another defect memory kit? I think not. Just like the USB problems it took a power cycle to get the missing memory back. Everything was fine again for a few days, 64GB RAM and all. Another cold boot after I have been away over the weekend (wall plug pulled) and this time the board would no longer detect the graphics card, VGA LED lighting up white and the QCODE display saying something about NVRAM. Like before another power cycle fixed this.

A few other side effects I noticed since I'm on this X299 system:

Some games stutter bad and that's not related to anything-GPU. GTAV for example is unplayable for me on X299 no matter what settings, what drivers, nothing I tried fixed this. Other games like The Division, Ghost Recon Wildlands or the newly released Final Fantasy XV are running perfect. Overall my gaming experience has been worse than on my old X99 system (R5E10/6950X).

10G works for the most part, I connected a Synology DS which also has 10G and performance was good. Sometimes the Aquantia 10G port stops working and it has to be disabled/enabled in Windows to get it working again. Rare but it keeps happening.

Other components such as the graphics card, power supply or SSD have been tested with my old X99 system and all of them work fine.

Stability tests I used on this system (all passed for 8-12 hours)

Intel XTU
    HCI Memtest Pro
    RAM Test (Karhu Software)
    Google StressAppTest (Tried on Arch Linux)
    Handbrake, FFmpeg and several other encoding tools
    ASUS RealBench

I read a few posts on overclock.net where other users reported having issues with delidded CPU's from caseking, like they unknowingly damage them during the delid process. Apparently sometimes a CPU still kinda works if some of the small capacitors got damaged. I don't know if that is the case here.

I'm frustrated at this point because even though this system passes all the stability tests I listed above it is still very unreliable because of the random problems that have been happening to me in the last months.

I'm thinking about sending the board in for RMA and the CPU as well to have caseking check on it.

Anyone else experienced similar problems?

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Franziska; 05-06-2018 at 03:50 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

It may seem crazy but make a test: Slacken a few screws that hold the CPU cooler and disable aquacomputer services

Franziska PC Specs
    Processor5930K
    Graphics Card #1GTX 980
    MonitorNEC PA272W
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Mouse Mionix Avior 7000
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Beto556 View Post
    It may seem crazy but make a test: Slacken a few screws that hold the CPU cooler and disable aquacomputer services
    Thanks for the reply. The CPU has been reseated already when the problems first started and because of the intermitted nature of these problems I don't think that's the case. Bent pins or a bad mounted CPU would result in permanent problems right?

As for Aquacomputer services, there's nothing like that installed. I do own an Aquaero 6 but it's not in this system, it's in my old X99. Just the CPU/GPU blocks in this one are from Aquacomputer.

Right now everything works fine again I will see how long it stays that way.

Best Regards

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Marko911 PC Specs
    Marko911 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage extreme VI
    Processori9 7900x @4,7Ghz cores at from 7x1,20v-3x1,21v
    Memory (part number)G.skill 32GB 3200MHZ CL14 DDR4 quad kit
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080ti extreme edition @2032Mhz/12000Mhz
    MonitorAsus something IPS,144Hz ,Freesync
    Storage #1m.2 Samsung EVO 960 1TB
    Storage #2m.2 Samsung EVO 960 500GB
    CPU CoolerEKWB monoblock
    CaseThermaltake view 71 TG
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard rappo wireless keyboard and mouse
    Headset Logitech G933
    OS win 10 pro/64bit
    Accessory #1 HL GTS 360mm/push only
    Accessory #2 HL SR2 360mm push/pull
    Accessory #3 HL SR2 420mm push/pull

This is gonna be totally inappropriate from me,but I had to ask,where did you buy SM8 in EU?
    P.S My advice for you mobo problems is that you send it back to caseking.de,they have great customer support.(in my opinion,I don't think that's CPU problem)

Franziska PC Specs
    Processor5930K
    Graphics Card #1GTX 980
    MonitorNEC PA272W
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Mouse Mionix Avior 7000
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Marko911 View Post
    This is gonna be totally inappropriate from me,but I had to ask,where did you buy SM8 in EU?
    P.S My advice for you mobo problems is that you send it back to caseking.de,they have great customer support.(in my opinion,I don't think that's CPU problem)
    Hey, no problem My SM8 came directly from Caselabs I bought it before best-cases.eu or what they're called became a EU distributor. It got very expensive in the end with customs and tax but well worth it.

As for my R6E yea I will see. Its just bugging me that sometimes everything works for 2-3 weeks and then things happen like the board randomly not detecting some components. Btw this always happened after cold boots, if I leave the PC in soft-off (S5) over night its fine.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I have 7900X dellided by caseking + Kryos Next Silver w/ Vision + GSkill 64C14....2 cores at 4.600 and rest 4300
    Watercooler system type "Frankstein" + 1 960PRO
    Asus Optimal Overclock setup

No problems !!!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Marko911 PC Specs
    Marko911 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage extreme VI
    Processori9 7900x @4,7Ghz cores at from 7x1,20v-3x1,21v
    Memory (part number)G.skill 32GB 3200MHZ CL14 DDR4 quad kit
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080ti extreme edition @2032Mhz/12000Mhz
    MonitorAsus something IPS,144Hz ,Freesync
    Storage #1m.2 Samsung EVO 960 1TB
    Storage #2m.2 Samsung EVO 960 500GB
    CPU CoolerEKWB monoblock
    CaseThermaltake view 71 TG
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard rappo wireless keyboard and mouse
    Headset Logitech G933
    OS win 10 pro/64bit
    Accessory #1 HL GTS 360mm/push only
    Accessory #2 HL SR2 360mm push/pull
    Accessory #3 HL SR2 420mm push/pull

Quote Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
    Hey, no problem My SM8 came directly from Caselabs I bought it before best-cases.eu or what they're called became a EU distributor. It got very expensive in the end with customs and tax but well worth it.

As for my R6E yea I will see. Its just bugging me that sometimes everything works for 2-3 weeks and then things happen like the board randomly not detecting some components. Btw this always happened after cold boots, if I leave the PC in soft-off (S5) over night its fine.
    Huh,yeah,I was too looking at bestcases.eu but decided against it,and I still don't know if i'm ready to pay around 2000$ for STH10 from USA with all the taxes,shipping alone is 450$
    I understand,had zero problems like that... it's so hard to do RMA process,when you think about all the lost time....Hope you do successfully and quickly RMA,I really think that will resolve all your issues. (it can happen to anyone,I had bad luck with two EK D5 pumps and even singularity computers reservoir started to leak).

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

I'd recommend installing a dummy OS and see if the problem persists before you take any further action.

Franziska PC Specs
    Processor5930K
    Graphics Card #1GTX 980
    MonitorNEC PA272W
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Mouse Mionix Avior 7000
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    I'd recommend installing a dummy OS and see if the problem persists before you take any further action.
    Yeah I did that with a clean installation of Windows 10 Enterprise 1803. When up and running it's perfect, the problems seem to happen during POST after a cold boot. Like yesterday it was stuck at NVRAM and no VGA detected. A few days before that it only detected 6 out of 8 memory sticks.

I wonder if the memory problem was related to Aura, SPD corruption on Trident Z RGB. Thaiphoon Burner doesn't work with Skylake-X and in HWiNFO all 8 sticks look fine now. As for the graphics card, no idea, it was detected with no problems today leaving the system in S5 over night. The POST time varies though sometimes I feel like the board needs longer to detect all components.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

The problems you describe in the above post are simply down to memory instability, it won't be related to either of those things. You'll need to tune out the instability with VCCSA and VCCIO voltage rails. 64GB kits can be tough work for some CPU, especially beyond 3600. See how far you're able to get with 3600 ratio.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast