cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46vw, 660m getting stuck in full 3d clocks

Spacecreepkitan
Level 7
I got a g46vw from a pawn broker down the way from my place and it had been honestly running even better than I had expected, better than the new one I bought way back when... for the first three weeks. I was playing South Park:The Fractured But Whole when my fps tanked, pulled up EVGA precision X and yupppp 93*c ,exited out and the temps did improve but it remained in it's full 3d clock state :(... restart and nope still in 3d clocks and temp is pretty steadily rising from 38*c until it seems to level out mid 60s running a game obviously raises it further, no es bueno, so I do the whole uninstall/reinstall dance but 3d clocks and higher than normal temps persist. I run Unigine Heaven for s**** and giggles, temps top out in the high 60s low 70s now I'm puzzled, it goes without saying that 3d clocks and high temps are still persisting on desktop. Recover and keep files and settings option in Windows 8, that's the ticket ! No, 3d clocks persist. Now I'm gonna be honest here, I had dled a cracked version of borderlands the pre-sequel so I could play the dlc ( I have the base game ) I know it's shady but I did it, run malwarebytes and it detects the crack as riskware, quarantine, delete, and restart, maybe it's a bitcoin miner... 3d clocks persist, fml. Decide to plug in external monitor for the lulz... 2d clocks !!!!!!!!!! but obviously something is amiss but this is progress surely. Unplug monitor and still in 2d clocks 😄 What should I do from here, full on reinstall? Return to the pawn broker ( I have til the 14th to return for store credit ) What do I do? I really do like the little guy and honestly I'm kind of a shut-in minus having people accompany me to stores and I was quite happy for a bit there when it was working but now it's just causing me anxiety but I don't want to return it just to pray they get another gaming laptop in in the same price-range :*( any guidance would be appreciated, sorry for my run-on sentence, freak out, text wall.
3 REPLIES 3

Spacecreepkitan
Level 7
Not that anyone will particularly care but the issue seems to be caused from having the EVGA precision X OC OSD enabled, disabling this caused my clocks to go back to their 2d values immediately... now if only I knew why. Guess I'll continue experimenting.

kkn
Level 14
the best is always to post in the notebook section if it is a notebook problem to get help faster.

Spacecreepkitan
Level 7
Sorry, didn't realize I posted in the wrong section, my apologies.