cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*important* before you update your bios

SCANNERMAN
Level 7
Before updating or "flashing" your Basic Input Output System (BIOS) consider calling up ASUS directly first to verify with some cognitive ASUS representation. I recently learned that they, ASUS, have been having "ISSUES" on their web page which apparently have resulted in the wrong BIOS update being designated to the main board in question. One such fine and outstanding example is the recent 3703 BIOS update which, apparently (and this was also my experience) , was released to a number of mainboards to which it did NOT apply. My advice is to phone first before inadvertantly damaging your motherboard. Yes, fortunately ASUS does have safe guards in place for protecting you from installing the wrong BIOS but is this really a chance you want to take? :cool: There it is. Have fun out there!
1 REPLY 1

Korth
Level 14
My only experience with this, so far, is that the firmware won't install a BIOS meant for one motherboard on any other motherboard. It just won't be recognized as a valid BIOS, it just won't install.

Good luck contacting ASUS directly for such stuff, lol, at worst it's a waste of time (which leads nowhere) and at best an ASUS rep will tell you to go to their website (which leads right back to where you started).

There have been flawed BIOS versions, flawed beta BIOS versions, even flawed BIOS versions which were quickly redacted offline. But I've never seen the specific sort of issue described in the example. Not saying it's impossible - the ASUS websites are usually a mess - but I am saying I doubt it's as terribly incompetent or dangerous as it may seem. Again, I've never personally been able to (deliberately or inadvertently) install an incompatible BIOS on any ASUS motherboard.

There's always some users who cannot install any given BIOS, as well, for a variety of technical reasons. Invalid filename, invalid image size, bad checksums, wrong compression, etc. While this might indicate a BIOS update isn't properly packaged it doesn't indicate a BIOS update is entirely incompatible.

Is it really a chance I want to take? Sure, why not? I've never had problems with ASUS BIOS downloaded from ASUS sites before. And I have ASUS Dual BIOS, so there's always a backup, and I always proceed with caution on firmware/platform updates, newer is not always better so keeping a rollback/recovery option is prudent. Not to mention, of course, all the comments and feedback about each and every BIOS for each and every ASUS motherboard on these forums. So I don't really see any reason for any technically competent person to panic just because the wrong file got downloaded.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]