cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time to change my G551 thermal paste

weasel65
Level 9
I recently acquired Rome 2 and have noticed my peak temps are hitting mid 80s when playing the game with an arctic cooling pad, and idle are low 40s with just a browser open (typing this temp is 42c). My laptop, ROG G551JM is about 5 years old now with the same thermal paste. Yesterday I opened up my laptop and cleaned it out, but it was very clean inside, really no dust at all

Should everything be fine with mid 80s (in battle with lots of pixel units the temp bounces between 77 to 85) or should I get some arctic MX4 and replace the paste?
6 REPLIES 6

weasel65
Level 9
Running Handbrake and my 4 core temps are sitting between 84-89 steady while transcoding.

weasel65
Level 9
Never mind, finally found threads on the G551, my temps are normal, they just shocked me after using desktop for decades.

davemon50
Level 11
Were you able to clean the fans with something (other than just compressed air)? Probably residual (persistent) dust on the blades, and maybe a bit of bearing wear after a good 5-yr duty cycle.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Were you able to clean the fans with something (other than just compressed air)? Probably residual (persistent) dust on the blades, and maybe a bit of bearing wear after a good 5-yr duty cycle.

My fans are clean, much cleaner then my desktop that is for sure, I blew and vacuumed them out. I have ordered some Mx4. I under volted my cpu by .080 and still my temps when running Rome2 are peaking at 90c. Idle temps while typing this are 46c. I am to the point I may drill holes in the bottom.

Thanks for responding.

weasel65
Level 9
Changed the paste, idle temps are 31 (I also have holes under the cpu/gpu now) and under load they are 70/80s.

weasel65 wrote:
Changed the paste, idle temps are 31 (I also have holes under the cpu/gpu now) and under load they are 70/80s.

Ventilation holes drilled into the chassis plastics?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]