cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High / jumpy temps on 2700X + C7H

gorpo
Level 7

Are these temps and temp variability normal? Idle is no less than 35C, jumping to 45C almost instantaneously every few seconds, sometimes even 50-55C with minimal load. I'm using linux and the "on demand" cpu frequency scaler often underclocks automatically to ~2GHz when idling. The graph above is under such circumstances.

Under load, temps are constant at ~70C with fans pinned at 100%.

Just sitting in BIOS the temps are easily 45-60C. I want silent computing so I do have the fans at very low RPMs, but even when setting them to max speeds and sitting in BIOS the temps were basically the same.

I'm using a Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4. I got that air cooler and the C7H specifically because I want silent computing while still allowing the 2700X to turbo up as much as it can automatically.

Your diagnostics are appreciated!
9 REPLIES 9

neikosr0x
Level 7
gorpo wrote:

Are these temps and temp variability normal? Idle is no less than 35C, jumping to 45C almost instantaneously every few seconds, sometimes even 50-55C with minimal load. I'm using linux and the "on demand" cpu frequency scaler often underclocks automatically to ~2GHz when idling. The graph above is under such circumstances.

Under load, temps are constant at ~70C with fans pinned at 100%.

Just sitting in BIOS the temps are easily 45-60C. I want silent computing so I do have the fans at very low RPMs, but even when setting them to max speeds and sitting in BIOS the temps were basically the same.

I'm using a Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4. I got that air cooler and the C7H specifically because I want silent computing while still allowing the 2700X to turbo up as much as it can automatically.

Your diagnostics are appreciated!

Thats totally normal since Rzyen first gen. My 2700x CH7 does the same.

KingWilly
Level 7
My temps are pretty much the same, it's an 8-core cpu so it's going to be warm.

To keep noise down I suggest keeping all of your fan curves flat until 45-50 degrees or so then ramp them up to 100% by 70 degrees, leaving them on pwm drove me nuts since the fans would constantly spin up and down as they react to those quick 35 to 45 back down to 35 degree jumps in temp during light workloads.

For my cpu fans I set them at 46% (the lowest it'll go) until 50 degrees, 70% at 60 degrees, then 100% at 70 degrees. For the chassis fans I have them at 28% until 47 degrees, 50% at 60 degrees and 100% at 75 degrees. I haven't noticed any changes in temps compared to the standard pwn profiles and my pc no longer sounds like a heavy mouth breather.

gorpo
Level 7
Thanks for the feedback. Puts my mind more at ease.

Didn't AMD want temps below 60C to allow Precision Boost / XFR?

If those temps/jumps are normal, I guess it's just a matter of fine tuning parameters. 10C+ swings in temps make it difficult to have a sensible fan curve. As mentioned I found it necessary to have a flat fan curve until about 55C. @KingWilly Did you calibrate your fans? After calibration, my CPU fans (Noctua NF-A14) go as low as 14% PWM, and DC case fans (Fractal Design GP-12) to 24-28%. This is about 350 rpm for all of them, which results in warmer temps at idle, but it's totally imperceptible from more than a few cm away. Then I set them to ramp up quickly to 100% by 67C because at max fans under full load, the temps don't drop below it. When I had it at 70C the fans would pulse on/off which is far more annoying than having the fans at full blast. I also added a smoothing time delay to the fans.

Other observations:

- BIOS (0509) seems a bit quirky. I had it freeze on me at least twice while adjusting fan curves.
- Asus Performance mode in BIOS results in similar temps with higher clocks but lower voltage: (4GHz, CPU @ 52C in BIOS, 1.328v Vcore). Previously I kept it at Normal or Power Savings and everything was the same or worse: (3.7GHz, in BIOS: CPU @ 53C, Vcore @ 1.419V (jumping bw 1.318V to 1.48V).

Questions:
- Does Asus Performance mode disable the various boosts? I see 4GHz but have not noticed anything higher whereas before I could see momentary bursts to nearly 4.3GHz.
- Would it be possible for Asus to allow more breakpoints in the fan curves? 3 is ok, but more would be nice.

I'm using Noctua nf-f12 fans on a Fractal Design s24 aio, after running the calibration utility again they let me go as low as 19% now, for case fans I'm using Noctua nf-a15's and a12's which go down to 14%.

I don't run them that low though since that seems to bring them slightly below minimum rpm and I don't really notice any change in noise levels by having them at a bit higher rpm anyways.

I haven't played with Asus Performance mode, the only thing I've done is set my ram to use the docp 3200 profile, set core performance boost (xfr2) to enabled and performance enhancer (precision boost 2) to level 2. With those settings I'm seeing all core clocks go up to 4.1-4.2GHz and single core go up to 4.35Ghz, after about 10 minutes of stress testing I'll see temps creep up towards 75 degrees and after that it'll bounce around 3.95-4.15 or so to keep temps right in that area.

EDIT: I'm on 0601, no problems with fan calibration. I believe the reason why my cpu fan minimums were on the high side before is because I had performance enhancer at lvl2 when I first ran it so my cpu was at 3.7GHz while tuning.

KingWilly wrote:
I haven't played with Asus Performance mode, the only thing I've done is set my ram to use the docp 3200 profile, set core performance boost (xfr2) to enabled and performance enhancer (precision boost 2) to level 2. With those settings I'm seeing all core clocks go up to 4.1-4.2GHz and single core go up to 4.35Ghz, after about 10 minutes of stress testing I'll see temps creep up towards 75 degrees and after that it'll bounce around 3.95-4.15 or so to keep temps right in that area.

I don't know what Asus Performance (or was it Asus Optimized?) mode is exactly; it just had bar graphs comparing to Normal and Power Savings. I think this is the 8% overclock feature since it sets frequency from 3.7GHz -> 4GHz. In stress testing, all cores stay at 4GHz, whereas before it would stay around 3.9GHz. But I haven't noticed any boosting past 4GHz since enabling this option. Load temps increased to ~74C (50C above ambient) after an initial spike to 81C. Before it reached max 70C.

I enabled Core Performance Boost , but didn't touch Performance Enhancer yet. Isn't that an unofficial optimization from an overclocker, and not PB2?

Did you check the timings set by DOCP? I compared to the XMP values and several are different. With DOCP settings my system failed mprime after 7 hours. It passed Memtest86 though. Tempted to retest with the XMP values. I also noticed a BIOS option for DRAM power (100% to 130% in 10% increments) with a description suggesting it be increased if doing current-intensive stress testing.

Is there a feature on this board to show CPU temp on the Q-code display? I think I read that somewhere but couldn't find it in the menus.

gorpo wrote:
I enabled Core Performance Boost , but didn't touch Performance Enhancer yet. Isn't that an unofficial optimization from an overclocker, and not PB2?

It is according to this article: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/04/30/amd_precision_boost_2_wraith_prism_deep_dive/1

gorpo wrote:
Did you check the timings set by DOCP? I compared to the XMP values and several are different. With DOCP settings my system failed mprime after 7 hours. It passed Memtest86 though. Tempted to retest with the XMP values. I also noticed a BIOS option for DRAM power (100% to 130% in 10% increments) with a description suggesting it be increased if doing current-intensive stress testing.

Yes, everything is correct with my gskill 3200 flare-x kit. I checked with:

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-timing-checker/

and

http://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-ryzen-dram-calculator-1-1-0-beta-2-overclockin...

gorpo wrote:
Is there a feature on this board to show CPU temp on the Q-code display? I think I read that somewhere but couldn't find it in the menus.

I have no idea, I know you can change the rgb lighting to reflect temps with AURA though 😄

Now it's clear: Core Performance Boost = XFR2, Performance Enhancer up to level 2 = Precision Boost, and levels 3/4 are additional OC.

Those RAM timing tools look neat, but I'm using linux and understandably they don't work from a virtual machine.

I figured out the 4GHz (40x multiplier and corresponding lack of boosting) was due to having run the EZ Tuning Wizard at some point. That wizard never worked well for me anyways, so I cleared CMOS to get rid of all its changes.

With CPB and PE (level 2), the most I've noticed is 4.29GHz on up to 2 cores and 4.11GHz on all cores. It would help to find a monitoring tool for cpu clocks in linux. I'm curious if I can see past 4.3GHz, but mostly I want to undervolt as much as possible to reduce temps and noise while maintaining the ~4.3/4.1 single/all core clocks.

Eg. with manually set 1.325V vcore it seemed to perform better than Auto (I think all core was 4.05GHz), while perhaps cooler. Not sure if offset mode is better. Tried -0.1V offset and it seems similar, maybe hotter. But the room is also heating up a lot!

As for rgb aura... off is good thanks 😄

Delta9K
Level 9
I'm confused. Are you manually setting vcore in the BIOS and also enabling CPB and setting Performance Enhancer to lvl 2? I ask because I am seeing vcore readings peaking @ 1.48-1.5 when setting PCB to Enabled and Performance Enhancer to lvl 2 and If I leave both those settings at Auto it peaks @ 1.41 under load. Even though I enjoyed seeing my CinBench R15 score increase by 25 points I am not sure that much vcore is good.
Other systems in addition to rig in the profile specs:
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w

Delta9K wrote:
I'm confused. Are you manually setting vcore in the BIOS and also enabling CPB and setting Performance Enhancer to lvl 2? I ask because I am seeing vcore readings peaking @ 1.48-1.5 when setting PCB to Enabled and Performance Enhancer to lvl 2 and If I leave both those settings at Auto it peaks @ 1.41 under load. Even though I enjoyed seeing my CinBench R15 score increase by 25 points I am not sure that much vcore is good.

I tried a bunch of things. Mostly vcore was auto, but I did try setting it manually at one point as described above.

From what I've read, the voltage peaks aren't worrisome, it's the sustained voltages and resulting temperatures under load that could be dangerous. Generally it seems the CPU regulates that on its own so unless setting vcore manually (which I don't intend to for my final setting) it shouldn't matter much.

I've currently been running with PE lvl3 which gives 4.35GHz on up to 4 cores depending on type of load, and 4.11GHz on all cores. It seems to have higher performance at similar max load temps as PE2, but the temps spike more rapidly. Now my plan is to set a negative offset to reduce temperatures so that the fans don't spin up as easily. Something between -100mV to -50mV should be achievable. I just wonder what the impact will be on frequencies and performance.