cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z370-F Power on from cold boot doesn't enter POST

F0x135
Level 7
Hi all,

This happens 1 out of every 5 boot, usually from cold. I have to force a shutdown and boot again for it to go into post.

I have attached a speaker to hear the beeps codes to the z370-F when i first built it. When the issue happens, all the RGB turns on, and i can see heatsink fan start spinning (air cooling).

HOWEVER, the exhaust fan DOESN'T SPIN, and there is no beep(s) coming from the motherboard speaker. This is when it doesn't enter post.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Is the motherboard not getting enough juice from first cold boot?
7 REPLIES 7

davemon50
Level 11
Can you confirm you have a good solid connection from the heatsink fan to your CPU fan header?
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Can you confirm you have a good solid connection from the heatsink fan to your CPU fan header?

Yep, the heatsink + fan is on tight.

I fail to see how that possibly affect this though? The heatsink fan is the only one that spins when it goes into this state (of not going into POST). It's the rear exhaust fan that doesn't spin, plus the lack of a beep from the speaker, that lets me know the system won't go into POST.

Thinking about this now, could my OC setting (minor: 4.7) be affecting this power on issue from cold boot? Something LLC maybe?

F0x135 wrote:

I fail to see how that possibly affect this though? The heatsink fan is the only one that spins when it goes into this state (of not going into POST). It's the rear exhaust fan that doesn't spin, plus the lack of a beep from the speaker, that lets me know the system won't go into POST.

Thinking about this now, could my OC setting (minor: 4.7) be affecting this power on issue from cold boot? Something LLC maybe?

Return all bios settings to default and see if it still happens.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

F0x135 wrote:

I fail to see how that possibly affect this though? ...

Because you missed the point of my question, which was CPU fan header connection. That it's not a different location, and the solidity of that particular header connection. Your response was regarding the fan and heatsink, which is important but not what I was asking. 🙂 May not be that at all, but is what I was asking about.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
Because you missed the point of my question, which was CPU fan header connection. That it's not a different location, and the solidity of that particular header connection. Your response was regarding the fan and heatsink, which is important but not what I was asking. 🙂 May not be that at all, but is what I was asking about.

Apologies, my response wasn't clear. Yes the connection to the CPU FAN HEADER is on secure and tight. But yes, i still fail to see even if that was loose how i would prevent the system from entering POST.

davemon50 wrote:

I thought of this too when i suspected the OC settings. Will reset the CMOS this weekend and see.

F0x135
Level 7
I've reset the CMOS and even updated the bios to 0616.

Happened again this morning. 😕

Everything is at stock now and i'm out of ideas to what's caused it so suddenly. Do i have to reseat everything? Why doe it happen only on cold boots?