cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Edition 10: a lot of trouble and meanwhile no ideas how to solve

Remo_Schildmann
Level 7
Hi all,

first of all two thinks: hi all and... sorry for my bad english. So please feel free to correct my english as well as my problems. 🙂

I have bought an used (but nearly unused) Asus Rampage V Edition 10 board. It is powered by a BeQuiet Strait Power 11 750W power supply. Have connected the 8 pin connector and the 4 pin power connector (and yes, the 24 pin connector too).

Other parts are an AMD 6950HD graphics card (tried 7950HD with same problems), 4 * 8GB G.Skill 3200 / 15-15... memory (is in support list of the board), a Samsung 960 SSD, Intel 6850K cpu. A spin drive as well, but thats not the problem (I have disconnected for tests).

So what's my problem(_S_)?

Starting with BIOS 1701, tried 1801 as well as 09xx... In standard configuration (default settings) the board is hanging with several boot codes.:
b2
b2
and many more. Sometimes I got graphical erros in BIOS: some texts are blank, other in chinese (or asian?) language while language setting is english. BIOS update looks fine (no error message). Have updated my BIOS chips using USB flash port and button on board. So I think its the best methode to do updates?

Finaly I tried last beta BIOS 1901.

What's my problems (long story til now, right? 😉 😞
* BIOS hangs in multible boot codes in standard settings
* XMP settings (3200MHz RAM): same problems
* Have to adjust CPU voltages, LLC to go to OS more stable - I think I have done. But... who the f**k there is no way with standard values? I think thats the way to run the board?
* I've noticed the LED for the first PCI port is not blinking while initialisation. Thats the port the graphics card is in. When initialitation is done this LED is on. So the LED is fine but only LEDs for slot 2 to 4 are blinking while initialisation.

Have done RAM test (MEM test). No problems found. So defect RAM is not my first idea to solve the problems.

So with running BIOS in manual defined settings (as discriped) I can run my system nearly stable (only one failure per boot as maximum) to OS (Windows 10 Pro / 64 Bit). I have installed the fall creator version (update?). But than the problems goes one...

* Login screen runs in BSOD when not logging in within 1..2 minutes.
* Windows hangs (BSOD) while doing normal stuff.
* Running some stress tests (prime 95) for 8 hours without big problems (ok, CPU core one crashed within 2 minutes after starting the test but no other problems after). But after ending the stress test and doing normal work the system crashes with BSOD within minutes.

Allways the same error: BSOD ... 61 ... power ...

I have read that can be after Windows does some meltdown or spectre repair tries / updates / (or what ever)? But why the system looks stable while under stress but fails in seconds (or minutes) while waste power for nothing?

Never I saw so many blue screens than in the last weeks (since building my new system).

Ok... a new power supply my is a brand new) can be defective.
New RAM can be defective (as well).

Yes... I can unplug my RAM (have tried it).
I have no second power supply (but a stable running system under stress should be crash as well as an system whitout load... I think). So I belive that should not the problem!?
So what's the hardware problem?

Maybe RMA is my final solution but I think there must be an alternative solution?

Short cut: are there any ideas who to go forward to finding the problem? In my mind the system is flying away many ways through the window of the room the computer is standing... 😉 Never I have so many problems with any of my self made systems and never with ASUS. But this board is sooooo strange!?

Thanks and best regards.
9 REPLIES 9

davemon50
Level 11
I been really trying hard to come up with some brainstorming ideas for you. I also have an R5E10, but had great success with it. I suspect your power is good, and also Windows is not related. But it does sound like memory is your issue to me even though it's vendor qualified, and I am not sure if your post is saying you are overclocking or not.

I have my XMP enabled on auto successfully but In my current configuration am unstable over 3000 MHz. Looks like you are running at 3200? For me I am told I could get there if I change BCLK to 100, and XMP put mine at 125. Perhaps downclock your RAM a step at a time to see if you can't produce some stability, or maybe check your BCLK. Start there. Or maybe run the BIOS at default as a check.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
I been really trying hard to come up with some brainstorming ideas for you. I also have an R5E10, but had great success with it. I suspect your power is good, and also Windows is not related. But it does sound like memory is your issue to me even though it's vendor qualified, and I am not sure if your post is saying you are overclocking or not.

I have my XMP enabled on auto successfully but In my current configuration am unstable over 3000 MHz. Looks like you are running at 3200? For me I am told I could get there if I change BCLK to 100, and XMP put mine at 125. Perhaps downclock your RAM a step at a time to see if you can't produce some stability, or maybe check your BCLK. Start there. Or maybe run the BIOS at default as a check.

I agree, definitly run your bios settings at default. Run your ram at the auto settings and not at 3200 to see if the system is stable. That is the first place to start. No overclocking at all.

Remo_Schildmann
Level 7
Thanks for the answers.

Running the board with default BIOS settings (F6 key) is horrorble. With default settings the board hangs while POST in several boot codes (as described in my first post - any some other boot codes as well). Adjusting CPU voltages helps a little bit. Since setting the LLC value to 6 or 7 (not auto) the board seems to boot nearly stable to OS.

To answer some of the questions... Never overclocked the CPU. My actual goal is to get an stable system. Maybe overclocking is a task after that. 😉 CLK is 100MHz. So that should not be the reasons?

What have I done after the answers:
* memory speed is set to 2000MHz (reduced from 3200)
* limited CPU speed to 3000MHz for all cores
* deactivated 3 of 4 memory modules (DIP switches on the board) - tried running with only memory slot 1 (A) as well as only memory slot 4 (D)
* CLK is 100MHz (as always)
* LCC is set to 7
* selected OC profile is XMP but with manual adjusted mem speed setting
* All other valuea are as default.

So boot to OS seams to be stable but windows crashes within 3 minutes.

crash history in windows lists:
* crash ID 41 (63) --> kernel power
* bugcheck code was 292 and (one time) 156 (decimal values)

What I've seen (and makes me a little bit confused). After starting to OS hardware monitor tools shows me CPU cores running at maximum speed (as configured in BIOS) with low load. When I run a stress test (100% load on all cores) and stop the test than the speed of all CPU cores goes down to the miniumum (1200MHz). But why not after the boot process?

An as announced... I have done a stress test (prime 65) for 10 hours without crashing the system. After stopping the test windows crashes within 3 minutes too.

The Intes tool (for testing the CPU) shows no errors. MEMtest runs fine with booting from an USB stick.

I'm running out of ideas how to solve. No chance to test other components (power supply, memory, graphic card) without bying new hardware...

Thanks for help and best regards.

Remo Schildmann wrote:
Thanks for the answers.

Running the board with default BIOS settings (F6 key) is horrorble. With default settings the board hangs while POST in several boot codes (as described in my first post - any some other boot codes as well). Adjusting CPU voltages helps a little bit. Since setting the LLC value to 6 or 7 (not auto) the board seems to boot nearly stable to OS.

To answer some of the questions... Never overclocked the CPU. My actual goal is to get an stable system. Maybe overclocking is a task after that. 😉 CLK is 100MHz. So that should not be the reasons?

What have I done after the answers:
* memory speed is set to 2000MHz (reduced from 3200)
* limited CPU speed to 3000MHz for all cores
* deactivated 3 of 4 memory modules (DIP switches on the board) - tried running with only memory slot 1 (A) as well as only memory slot 4 (D)
* CLK is 100MHz (as always)
* LCC is set to 7
* selected OC profile is XMP but with manual adjusted mem speed setting
* All other valuea are as default.

So boot to OS seams to be stable but windows crashes within 3 minutes.

crash history in windows lists:
* crash ID 41 (63) --> kernel power
* bugcheck code was 292 and (one time) 156 (decimal values)

What I've seen (and makes me a little bit confused). After starting to OS hardware monitor tools shows me CPU cores running at maximum speed (as configured in BIOS) with low load. When I run a stress test (100% load on all cores) and stop the test than the speed of all CPU cores goes down to the miniumum (1200MHz). But why not after the boot process?

An as announced... I have done a stress test (prime 65) for 10 hours without crashing the system. After stopping the test windows crashes within 3 minutes too.

The Intes tool (for testing the CPU) shows no errors. MEMtest runs fine with booting from an USB stick.

I'm running out of ideas how to solve. No chance to test other components (power supply, memory, graphic card) without bying new hardware...

Thanks for help and best regards.

Sounds like it well may be an issue with the motherboard. I know it was used when you bought it. Any way to RMA it as it should run at default settings fine. Have you checked the socket pins to see if any are bent.

Remo_Schildmann
Level 7
Have checked the socket pins two times. Made some pictures with flashlight. Pictures seems to show a socket that is ok (the pins reflect the light - the structure looks fine).

I am afraid that I have to send in the board too. Do not know how to do so. I bought the board privately without a bill. But the board should be younger than 3 years and ASUS offers 3 years of waranty?

Asus recommended sending the board back to the dealer. But thats not the way I can do.

Any plan how to RMA to Asus?

Remo_Schildmann
Level 7
Hi Craig,

thanks for your help. Will try that...

Craig
Level 8
Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.

Remo_Schildmann
Level 7
I hope that too 😉