SeniorLopata
Level 7
Hi there
As a topic said - EZ Flash killed my mobo

I have next rig:
Ryzen 1700e C6H
G.Skill Trident Z rgb 3000 Mhz. kit of 2*8

Everything was fine on 1201 until I decided to update it to 6004 via "EZ Crash"

I chose the .CAP file and after verifying new bios system started usual flash procedure (at this time I left the room with PC for 10 mins) and after I came back I've noticed that monitor is in sleeping mode (no hdmi signal) and PC is ON.
I pressed the reset button and then I got a message on my display something about «system in recovery mode. Insert USB or CD with BIOS file»
I inserted again my USB Drive with 6004 that I tried to flash 10 mins ago and flash has started again. I was looking at progress and everything went without any errors. Then PC rebooted and I got (and still have) 0d Q-code. (sometimes it shows 01 and 03 codes)

That what I tried to fix this:
moved RAM stick to other slots (also tried without any RAM)
unplugged every single cable except ATX and 8-pin CPU connectors
unplugged and plugged back the CPU
removed battery cell for 20 mins
pressed reset and clear CMOS button until my finger gets hurt.

But this is a half of problems with thit square $250 POS.

In theory, these problems can be resolved by BIOS Flashback feature. But it also doesn’t work!
I tried 3 different USB Drives with FAT32 (also I tried «Bios renamer» by ASUS software) and plugged them in every single USB slot that this mobo has but «bios update» button after pressing and holding it for several seconds just still blue (it should be flashing blue).
My USB Drive has a LED indicator on it and when I press "bios update" this indicator even not blink so this mobo not even trying to scan USB Drive for C6H.CAP file.
I think USB slots doesn’t powered (but they should be when PSU is plugged and mobo is in standby mode)

I'm out of ideas now
Thank you for reading this lowly literate post (Eng is not my native one) and I hoping that "collective mind" will allow me to make some progress with this "top of technologies" by ASUS.
7 REPLIES 7

lightknightrr
Level 7
BIOS reprogrammer. Get one with clips (the thin one) from Amazon, or eBay.

BlackBishop
Level 7
He don't need reprogrammer but to read how to perform correct flash procedure via flashback (could be found in main BIOS thread here).

BlackBishop wrote:
He don't need reprogrammer but to read how to perform correct flash procedure via flashback (could be found in main BIOS thread here).

Thank you for reply!
I found these steps you talking about.
) Change UEFI filename as C7H.CAP or C7HWIFI.CAP depending on your model.
ii) Copy to USB stick, it must be formatted to FAT32. File must not be in a directory.
iii) Load UEFI defaults prior to doing flashback and let mobo repost and shutdown.
iv) Make sure USB stick is in Flashback port (marked in red box below image)
v) Press and hold the Flashback button (blue box, above image) ~5secs. Blue LED on the button will flash slow for a few seconds

I did the same. Blue LED on the button just stayed still blue. Without flashing. There's something else

Clouseau wrote:
Flash Back option needs a plain old USB stick that is 2.0 compliant; nothing more, nothing less. Not all controllers on USB 3.0 sticks function correctly with this feature.

All 3 my USB sticks are pretty old and v.2.0 (4\8\16Gb). Some other reason here...

P.S. Can anyone check availability of voltage in BIOS flashback USB port in standby mode? It's pretty simple. Just need to turn off your PC and connect to flashback port any device (an iphone for example) and check will it be charging or not.

That happened to me when I tried to flash the VIII Formula (M8F.CAP) with the VIII Gene (M8G.CAP).

Use C6H.CAP instead for Crosshair VI Hero. C7H.CAP is for Crosshair VII Hero.

In the English manual for the Crosshair VI Hero motherboard the procedure for USB BIOS Flashback is on page 2-13.

I hope this works.

SeniorLopata wrote:
...P.S. Can anyone check availability of voltage in BIOS flashback USB port in standby mode? It's pretty simple. Just need to turn off your PC and connect to flashback port any device (an iphone for example) and check will it be charging or not.

My phone charged without issue when the USB charger cord was connected to the flash back port while the rig was powered off.

Clouseau
Level 7
Flash Back option needs a plain old USB stick that is 2.0 compliant; nothing more, nothing less. Not all controllers on USB 3.0 sticks function correctly with this feature.

Clouseau
Level 7
Will check when get home...about three hours

When I have used the flashback option, the bios file would be copied as is to the stick
Then renamed the file by pressing F2. File extension was not touched.
Flash Back never liked any file that renaming tool was used on