This is my set up at the moment.
ROG Maximus VII Formula
Asus 770 dcII
i7 4770k
16gb Ripjaws ram
samsung 840 500g ssd x2 no raid.
seasonic 1100 watt psu. 6 years old
windows 7
this rig is going on 4 years i think and it is still running great.
My buddy got a evga 1070 ti FE from nvidia 3 days ago. His wife bought him a 1080 without him knowing it. He sold me the card for 350 bucks.
Question 1. Will this card (1070ti) cause some bottleneck issues because of the cpu I have?
Question 2. In your honest opinion or expert advice, will it just be better for me to build a new system? Board/cpu?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Sincerely,
Just a cook
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
1) At 1080p you may experience some bottlenecking in certain games, yes. You'd need to do some testing yourself. If you haven't overclocked the CPU thus far, might be a good time to consider doing so.

2) See how you get on and if you're able to relieve a bottleneck by overclocking firstly.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
1) At 1080p you may experience some bottlenecking in certain games, yes. You'd need to do some testing yourself. If you haven't overclocked the CPU thus far, might be a good time to consider doing so.

2) See how you get on and if you're able to relieve a bottleneck by overclocking firstly.

I did some OC when i first got it and then dialed it back to stock settings. I had no problems with it being oc'd, i just didn't need it oc'd thats why i went back to stock settings. Thanks for the reply and i'll let you know how it is.

kkn
Level 14
it should not realy.

kkn wrote:
it should not realy.

Ok thanks.

Inkar
Level 7
Frycook wrote:

Question 1. Will this card (1070ti) cause some bottleneck issues because of the cpu I have?
Question 2. In your honest opinion or expert advice, will it just be better for me to build a new system? Board/cpu?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Sincerely,
Just a cook

1.- I had an i7-920@3.4GHz with a 1080Ti before I bough my current system (because I knew I would upgrade soon). Could play Battlefield 1 and the likes at Ultra quality 2K resolution at 80-100fps. So, in short, your system will have no trouble getting you acceptable quality and framerate as it is. You might be a bit bottlenecked, but not something critical.

2.- Obviously it will be better if you upgrade it, but I do not think you really need to do it right now. Seeing all the spectre/meltdown mess that Intel is having right now, I would try to wait until they get everything fixed at hardware level before I upgrade.