cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashy UEFI BIOS(es) on Crosshair VII

gorpo
Level 7
It's maddening.

Sometimes upon entering BIOS it is laggy. The mouse/keyboard take a while to move or change selections. And then it keeps getting laggier and slower until it totally freezes! The clock doesn't update the time for more than 15 minutes, nothing works, and I have to reboot. Upon rebooting it might be laggy again... or just fine. Or totally get stuck and fail to boot.

This has happened at least half a dozen times in the past few days. There have been no problems after actually booting into an OS. But actually booting past POST/BIOS is very hit or miss.

I don't know what's causing this. I've reset BIOS to defaults. Flashed BIOS. Twice. Used the CMOS clear button. The issue happened with XMP as well as JEDEC memory settings. It happened after resetting everything to defaults.

And then randomly everything is back to normal and it boots just fine...

I've tested the RAM and it passed the full 4 rounds of Memtest86 tests. It failed mprime at XMP settings but I didn't try mprime with JEDEC settings.

Any clues? I need my computer to work consistently. Am I missing something? Or is this what is to be expected from the top Asus motherboard? I am still within the return period and X470 Taichi launches tomorrow...

Honestly I'm really shocked and frustrated. It's hard enough tuning memory/CPU without the BIOS/POST crapping out when nothing's going on.

Has anyone else experience similar symptoms?

C7H Wifi
2700X
F4-3200C14D-32GTZ
10 REPLIES 10

sonic2911
Level 7
Yes, i have the same issue like that

michaelemcken
Level 7
What version of the BIOS are you running?

michaelemcken wrote:
What version of the BIOS are you running?

gorpo
Level 7
0207, 0509, and finally 0601. I experienced laggy/freezing BIOS interface on all of them. I haven't isolated any particular cause. Lately it's been fine, although I haven't been tweaking as much.

sonic2911
Level 7
I tried to disable CSM last night and the issue came back. So I think CSM is the root cause and still don’t understand why.

gorpo
Level 7
Since I use linux exclusively I can't (easily) function with CSM disabled. But I did notice that booting with UEFI only mode was a good bit faster than UEFI and Legacy mode. Maybe the problem is with Legacy mode? Disabling CSM would also disable Legacy mode.

Aside, I noticed that even with UEFI and Legacy mode enabled, sometimes one of my bootable USB devices doesn't show up in the Boot list. Maybe there is an issue with this setting.

gorpo wrote:
Since I use linux exclusively I can't (easily) function with CSM disabled. But I did notice that booting with UEFI only mode was a good bit faster than UEFI and Legacy mode. Maybe the problem is with Legacy mode? Disabling CSM would also disable Legacy mode.

Aside, I noticed that even with UEFI and Legacy mode enabled, sometimes one of my bootable USB devices doesn't show up in the Boot list. Maybe there is an issue with this setting.

I think so, the qcode is always stuck at green light (devices boot step I think) I enable csm but in csm i do ignore network boot, storage boot, and set uefi only/first. It almost means ‘disable’ csm :)) but it works. I’m still not sure the problem is mobo itself or my devices, or beta bios....It’s Asuck -,-

gorpo
Level 7
Yes, when I had the issue the green debug light was usually on. I don't think it's the beta bios since it happened with previous versions too. Really hope it's not the mtb itself... I have a hard time believing this kind of issue could exist from the top model of the top brand.

gorpo wrote:
Yes, when I had the issue the green debug light was usually on. I don't think it's the beta bios since it happened with previous versions too. Really hope it's not the mtb itself... I have a hard time believing this kind of issue could exist from the top model of the top brand.

This is my first Asus's board also my first hi-end mobo. I don't want to rma the board, because of the noctua hs*:(