cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive versus manual Vcore

Snakeyes
Level 11
More than a few posters have indicated that they are using der8auer's excellent YouTube overclocking guide for their initial overclock's. If you have reached stability using those guidelines, consider shifting from the recommended "manual" Vcore setting to "Adaptive +" using a lower Vcore under Adaptive. A little experimentation with lower Vcore levels can make a difference in either temperatures and/or overclock's. No matter what, your PC should run cooler with less pressure on your CPU. I'm attaching 2 AIDA64 sensor panels showing temperatures etc. with nothing changed except the Vcore settings. Note the Vcore levels in both cases

NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

8 REPLIES 8

Trigger5521
Level 7
I used der8auers video as a guide and got 5.0ghz right away with my 8700 at 1.35v, i'm delidded and temps are good. What did you lower to with adaptive + and maintained stability? I'm going to try your suggestion and report back.

On a side note, how in the heck did you get those fancy looking Aida64 panels? Mine just show simple color text.

Thanks!

Snakeyes
Level 11
See below
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro

Snakeyes
Level 11
A couple of suggestions.

Set both AC load line and DC load line to 0.01 in section "Internal CPU Power Management".

Set adaptive to positive and enter a voltage that is about 0.05 V less than your stable Vcore.

Thanks to adaptive I am presently running fully stable slightly above 5.1 with LLC at zero

The AIDA64 panel is a custom panel I created in the sensor panel section. If you go on his forums you will see many custom-designed panels that you can download and install. If you don't see something you like, p.m. me and I will send you the one I'm using.

Best of luck and please post the running voltages and temperatures under your adaptive settings

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro

Trigger5521
Level 7
Adaptive mode isn't available for me in the CPU core/cache voltage dropdown. I forget which of the other settings you need to change for it to show up.

Trigger5521 wrote:
Adaptive mode isn't available for me in the CPU core/cache voltage dropdown. I forget which of the other settings you need to change for it to show up.

You need to enable CPU SVID support for that option to show up

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro

jpmboy
Level 9
you can leave CPU SVID on Auto whether using adaptive or manual vcore. Adaptive will show in the drop down list with CPUSVID on Auto (or enabled).

Trigger5521
Level 7
Ok so following the suggestion I turned on adaptive, set to + and set the Additional turbo mode cpu core voltage 1.30v left offset on auto, AC and DC load line to 0.01 Cinebench crashed. Did I miss something?

Without adaptive im super stable at 1.35.

Snakeyes
Level 11
Set it at 1.35 and if that is stable, work your way down.

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro