cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703GS 8th Gen Strix Scar Editions - Issues Day One

mlinsemier
Level 7
I have always purchased ASUS laptops and products because I have had great success. I decided that with my 20 year bonus I would purchase the new GL703GS Strix Scar Edition laptop to replace my aging Asus G751J.

Out of the box running the Windows 10 install the machine locked up when selecting the wireless network so I wasn't off to a good start. After a restart I was able to setup Windows 10 successfully. I went through the normal rigmarole and installed all of the existing Windows 10 patches & updates (including 1803), installed GeForce Experience, Updated the nVidia drivers to 397.64, Installed Razer Synapse, Installed Steam, Uninstalled McAfee, & Installed Call of Duty: WWII. To me all standard and typical steps of getting a new PC.

I optimized Call of Duty: WWII with GeForce Expereince and I was off to the races, or so I thought.

1) When playing CoD I am getting severe lag spikes on and off. When using the Gaming Center, I am constantly seeing the GPU Limiter cycle between utilization, power, and thermal. There is nothing blocking the fan intakes and the area I am playing in (kitchen table) is well ventilated.

2) When playing CoD I am seeing the battery go from full charged to charging to charged to charging (back and fourth). Why should the battery be draining when it is plugged in to the point it needs to be charged?

3) When playing CoD the power brick is hot.. I mean red hot. Even when typing this message the brick is much warmer than my older Asus.

4) When playing CoD it is Rogue Gaming Center is showing both my CPU and GPU running between 85C to 90C which seems extremely high. For as loud as the fans are, even in balanced mode, I cant believe the laptop isn't cool, let alone doesn't hover away.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? Did I just get a lemon or did someone fail their job at QA? Any insight would be greatly apprecaited.

Sincerely,

Matt
6 REPLIES 6

FastM
Level 8
1: probably from CPU throttling due to high temps.

2: *pretty normal, the battery isn’t supposed to sit at 100. it will discharge slightly then charge back up. There is another recent thread in this forum linking an Asus software that will keep the battery at a lower 80% or 60% charge to help increase lifespan.

3: normal, wouldn’t worry about it.

4: unfortunatly normal. Asus has decided to built laptops with under powered cooling systems and rely on thermal throttling to keeps things from catching on fire. There is a solution, some physical mods like drilling holes in the bottom cover, using it on a good laptop cooler but most important applying a nice under volt to both the cpu and gpu. I had the same experience as you and after undervolting my system runs faster than stock while keeping temps in the low 70c’s

[Update]

FastM,

Thank you for your reply as it enlightening.

Received a nice blue screen when reading this message out of standby, ugg.

In regards to heating I'm noticing that the clearance of this laptop to the surface is very low to its earlier counterparts. That being said it appears that the fans are running fast enough to suck the tablecloth slightly off the table enough to limit air flow. When I placed it directly on the table, it seems that the temperatures are 4-5C degrees cooler.

I also noted that when I went back to nVidia driver 391.35, the temperature seems to run cooler by 3-4C. A few other people had posted about this as well so I am going to run some numbers today and see what I come up with before and after the update.

In regards to your post, could you share any recommendations for quality laptop coolers that aren't 10 inches tall. I actually play from the laptop keyboard so I am hoping for something thinner and quieter. Maybe even just a small stand that tilted the laptop at a slight angle would help airflow.

Lastly, could you share any programs and tutorials as far as undervolting the CPUs. I got out of overcloking and building my own rigs years ago so I am out of practice but I am willing to take a shot if I can get the temps down a bit.

-Matt

FastM
Level 8
I use the Aukey Laptop cooler, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01D0X9TUK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

maybe not the most powerful but it is thin and light enough that I can throw it in my backpack easily.

Also, I highly recommend you make a backup of the "eSupport" folder (should be located on the C: root and contains all the factory drivers with a install wizard). Then do a clean Win10 format. The factory win10 images are known to come packaged with problems..

There are tons of guides in this forum to do with undervolting the cpu/gpu. just search a little and you'll find everything you need.

Sounds good. I will do a clean windows install and see where I go from there. Typically do that anyways but I figured I would try to use what came with it as it was just recently release.

Thanks again for all you input

mlinsemier
Level 7
Looks like I'm not alone. I wonder if there is a hardware issue.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-gm501-or-gl703gs.816327/

I am going to try to undervolt and see if this fixes anything and then perhaps try Asus tech support this week. If not, I may have to return the unit.

mlinsemier
Level 7
Fixed the crashing, installed the Samsung NVMe drivers to fix the crashes and I have a working laptop, kind of. I'm still consistently getting GPU Perf Limited by Power and Voltage when I'm trying to play games like Call of Duty WWII. I've just never seen this in an ASUS laptop before. The Voltage worries me the most as I just don't get how it can't be getting enough Voltage for the GPU as typically without a program like ThrottleStop, couldn't change this. I may end up sending this guy back unless I can get a real fix.