cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Audio popping Onboard and Soundblaster Z

kuzzo1337
Level 7
Alright so I've read that the Maximus HERO VIII has static issues so I started using my soundblaster Z and it seems to still be happening somehow.. I use the Hyper X cloud cores could this have anything to do with it? It only happens with certain sounds like before i play a song on spotify and discord.. and even with certain sounds in games.

I've read up on forums and I've tried all the work around to no avail. I've also used LatencyMon and didnt see much of a spike in the latency..
21 REPLIES 21

kuzzo1337
Level 7
bump

I'm using a Soundblaster z on my Maximus VIII Hero and I've not noticed any popping noises.

The soundblaster z has a dedicated headphone port to drive headphones - may be worth connecting the headset to that port alone to see if the popping still occurs.

I've placed my soundcard in the bottom PCI express slot to keep it as far away from 'noisy' hardware as possible. The soundblaster z usually has a metallic shield around it which is supposed to help reduce background electronic noise from being amplified.

May be worth you swapping the card to a different slot.

Are you running the latest BIOS for the board? if not, you could trying updating.

The final thing I can think of is if the popping noise was happening with on board sound and again with the dedicated sound card, it could be an issue with the headset. May be worth trying a different set of headphones to see if you can still hear the popping noise.

Hope this helps.

and i also have updated BIOS, the sound isnt extremely bothersome.. but its there and its annoying. especially since i spent so much on my pc lately.

it mostly only happens when a sound suddenly cuts out or starts to play if that makes sense.

kuzzo1337
Level 7
tried multiple headsets including hyper x cloud core, hyper x cloud alpha, and sennheiser game zeros. Card is on the bottom PCIe slot and my Graphics card is in the top PCIe slot

Vinny1001
Level 9
All drivers up to date? I had the popping issue when sound started or ended. There was a issue with a version of the intel ethernet LAN drivers. Make sure all is up to date, which I would think you've verified it already.

This board has given me nothing but audio issues since day 1 and I've tried it all. It seems like it's fine now.

Reinstall all realtek/audio software. Use revouninstaller and delete EVERYTHING pertaining to it, and reinstall the audio driver from the support page. Also doesn't hurt to grab a audio driver off of the Microsoft Update Catalog. I'm using one off there that doesn't give me audio issues like the motherboard drivers from Asus do.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

and also i updated the LAN driver we'll see what happens, thanks for the tip!

kuzzo1337
Level 7
well thats the thing im using a dedicated sound card and still have the same issue, so it shouldnt have anything to do with realtek unless its program interference?

Vinny1001
Level 9
There still could be an issue that another driver is causing, whether it's related to another driver, software, or simply causing DPC latency (Which I know you checked).

Be sure you have the latest from Intel. Just verify the correct version for your OS: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/71305/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I218-V

Back when I first got my Z170 board, there was a time where someone said how the Intel LAN driver was causing the issue and was a known issue. As soon as I updated it, the pops went away. To quickly check this, replicate your issue, then disable any Wifi or LAN drivers, and then try to replicate again. Or just update the driver.

Also check MEI drivers. Check all drivers!!! 🙂 Sometimes people mention some CPU settings in BIOS cause issues. May be worth checking online more. Eist or speedstep I've read.

Check if you have anti virus on/off, sometimes those can get in the way.

Question... how long did you let LatencyMon run for? Let it run for 30 minutes, then play on your computer, try to reproduce the audio issues while it's running, and check for any indications of audio issues. It should find something.

Otherwise I'd say backup every critical file/game saves etc, and reinstall Win10 carefully and install one driver at a time, check for audio issues for half a day or a full day, try to reproduce it, then install the next driver, rinse and repeat.
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.