cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z370-E BIOS update loop

Jaye95
Level 7
Hello everyone!

Today, after upgrading from 0614 to 0616 I've got loop on my system.

Computer starts, goes through POST, shows ROG logo and then advances to black background with text "Updating BIOS. Do not shut down or reset system to prevent system bootup failure". After about 5 seconds it just reboots and goes over the same thing again. I'm aware that it is normal process, but it doesn't seem like it is okay to reboot 50 times... I had this issue in past, when I just bought the MB, but it fixed itself somehow. Now I'm stuck and I can't do anything with it. The irony is that MB goes through self-check (all lights on MB show proper boot sequence) normally and even keyboard works (can even switch between CAPS LOCK on\off), but I can't do anything else. DEL or F2 doesn't help to get into bios, although this "hint" shows every single time. What's wrong? I've tried both 2-pin CMOS RESET and battery removal. Moreover, I've tried to disconnect GPU and my two SSD's. I didn't tried to remove RAM, however, since it is hidden behind massive Dark Rock Pro cooler... My ram is Trident Z RGB 16Gb was running on 3200mhz XMP profile. Maybe there is some kind of bug?

Once again, BIOS update, according to what was shown on a screen, went through without any issues. I've updated through menu by loading file from root of my second SATA SSD.
19 REPLIES 19

theWanderer521
Level 7
I am no expert or PC enthusiast unlike you guys...so I can't give a credible and concrete answer to your problem. I will, however, be monitoring/following your problem 'coz I have the same mobo and planning to update BIOS to 0616 later. I hope someone or you'll get the solution as quickly as possible.

Jaye95
Level 7
1. EZ Flash through UEFI.
2. Installed by selecting .cap file from the root of my SSD.
3. No any interruptions, just "successful update" and then this..

Raja
Level 13
Power down at AC, remove all but one memory module, and then try again.

Jaye95
Level 7
Didn't helped 😞

chevell65
Level 12
Have you tried using the Asus USB bios flashback procedure? You need to put the bios onto a USB flash drive for this. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3620046/fix-corrupted-bios-rog-z370.html

chevell65 wrote:
Have you tried using the Asus USB bios flashback procedure? You need to put the bios onto a USB flash drive for this. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3620046/fix-corrupted-bios-rog-z370.html

My motherboard Z370-E doesn't have this button at all.

Raja
Level 13
You may need to RMA the board.

Jaye95
Level 7
Why it happened at all? Does it mean that one should not update BIOS at all in order to avoid casualties?

There is no way to force BIOS reflash from USB on Strix z370-e?

Jaye95 wrote:
Why it happened at all? Does it mean that one should not update BIOS at all in order to avoid casualties?

There is no way to force BIOS reflash from USB on Strix z370-e?

I also share the same sentiments with OP - worrying if I'll brick my mobo when updating due to corruption etc. --- I am planning to update to 0616 but from the look of things I'll try to wait it out for more days if there are more issues or whatsoever. I believe this is a random incident. But yeah, what could've caused this in the first place?

Follow up question: Have you tried the CrashFree BIOS 3 utility? If you still have the mobo manual, there's an explanation for that especially when these type of BIOS update problems occur.