Memory (part number)F4-3600C17Q-64GTZR | Trident Z RGB 64GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix 1080Ti OC
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Storage #2WD 10TB Gold
    CPU CoolerEK Rampage VI Monoblock
    CaseC0smos 2 Modded
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i

Fan Expert 4 losing profiles + DIP5 bug

Well it seems that we all end up on the same roads with this motherboard and Asus Software.

After successfully setting up the system and updating the ME firmware + driver I wanted to fine tune my fans.

I have quite a few fans

9 X Corsair ML140 Pros on the High Amp Fan header (they work fine and power draw is well within the 3amp bracket)
    1X Phanteks MP 140 for rear exhaust
    1X Phanteks 120 MP for top exhaust (very very low spinning)
    2X Corsair ML120 on separate channels
    1X Bitfenix Spectre RGB 200mm Front Intake
    1X BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 High Speed as front Intake (on CPU header)
    2X CoolerMaster 120mm (old but quiet) on the side for HDs that are 99% off due to low temps.

I have also connected 2X D5 pumps on the pump headers.

I am using the Fan Extension card as well and all of its 3 channels.

Now the problem is that Fan Expert 4 keeps losing my custom profile and I suspect that this occurs after I have entered the BIOS irrelevantly of what I do there.

When I set-up my profiles everything works relatively well but then several reboots later I lose my profiles and Fan Expert asks me to run Fan Tuning again. This is getting tiresome because I need to remake all my curves.

Another issue is that Windows keep switching back to "Balanced" power mode and this is reported as a bug of DIP 5. Although Asus has issued an update for this when I install it I lose all the other utilities in AI Suite making it useless. Anyone found a solution to this? What versions are you using.

Am I right to believe that i have to ditch AI Suite and go buy an Aquaero? It's really sad because one of the reasons for buying this motherboard was the big number of fan headers and its software but I am now realizing that I need to turn elsewhere and the comments from other users do not look good.

It looks like Asus CAN'T fix this software.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Marko911 PC Specs
    Marko911 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage extreme VI
    Processori9 7900x @4,7Ghz cores at from 7x1,20v-3x1,21v
    Memory (part number)G.skill 32GB 3200MHZ CL14 DDR4 quad kit
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080ti extreme edition @2032Mhz/12000Mhz
    MonitorAsus something IPS,144Hz ,Freesync
    Storage #1m.2 Samsung EVO 960 1TB
    Storage #2m.2 Samsung EVO 960 500GB
    CPU CoolerEKWB monoblock
    CaseThermaltake view 71 TG
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard rappo wireless keyboard and mouse
    Headset Logitech G933
    OS win 10 pro/64bit
    Accessory #1 HL GTS 360mm/push only
    Accessory #2 HL SR2 360mm push/pull
    Accessory #3 HL SR2 420mm push/pull

Hi there,yes,Asus fan software isn't something to be desired,but BIOS Fan control is pretty much great-stick with that-great for fine tuning also.And one more thing,mixing fans on any mobo is terrible idea,I really would recommend you to stick with one fan manufacturer.I'm running 15 Aer NZXT fans of mobo headers without any issue,everything is set up in BIOS and system is whisper quiet.(ofc with fan splitters)
    Also,I don't have any problems with power modes in windows and AI Suite,I don't use FanXpert profiles because of lack of controls.(RPM fix mode is unavailable,PWM curve in software is no were near the one I can set in BIOS )...Maybe your Windows is bugging?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Abaidor PC Specs
    Abaidor PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    Processori9-7940X
    Storage #2WD 10TB Gold
    CaseC0smos 2 Modded

Quote Originally Posted by Marko911 View Post
    Hi there,yes,Asus fan software isn't something to be desired,but BIOS Fan control is pretty much great-stick with that-great for fine tuning also.And one more thing,mixing fans on any mobo is terrible idea,I really would recommend you to stick with one fan manufacturer.I'm running 15 Aer NZXT fans of mobo headers without any issue,everything is set up in BIOS and system is whisper quiet.(ofc with fan splitters)
    Also,I don't have any problems with power modes in windows and AI Suite,I don't use FanXpert profiles because of lack of controls.(RPM fix mode is unavailable,PWM curve in software is no were near the one I can set in BIOS )...Maybe your Windows is bugging?

The Fans work 100% fine through the BIOS.

Regarding mixing fans it is only a problem if you mix different fans on the same header and they send different PWM signals. I have grouped my fans per manufacturer and per size on the fan headers. Other than that I find it absolutely necessary to not use the same on each and every spot since not all fans are great at all jobs.

For example I want the ML 140 Pros for my rad - can be quiet, can be strong and have great control + they can be stopped through PWM which is what is happening when I doing office work.

The Phanteks are used for exhaust on different headers and I want them since they are white and they look great with Phanteks Halos Lux Digital. They work and tune fine.

The top ML120 is on each on compartment and only used to cool hot-swap disks. I have constructed a special Plexi-Glass fun duct that isolates all this from the rest of the box.

The Silent Wings 3 PWM High Speed is on each on channel as well, it is hidden from view and is connected to the CPU header as an intake pulling fresh air to the memory + DIMM2.

And so on.

Yet, the fans work great through BIOS and mixing is not an issue since their PWM control range is fine (again when placed on their own channels)

The problem is that FanExpert is losing the profiles. Once I run fan tuning and make my custom curves it works great and all fans are detected properly. But on a reboot it loses everything even if I leave 1 fan connected.

I know I will end up with an Aquaero soon and I now understand why such a product exists but I also hate paying for features that I can't use such as the fan control of this Motherboard through software in Windows.

Asus fix the DAMN thing!

Marko911 PC Specs
    CPU CoolerEKWB monoblock
    Headset Logitech G933
    OS win 10 pro/64bit

Yeah,I see...I had problems with my Noctua's and NZXT on different headers,but still Noctua fans did behave strange(ofc that is subjective opinion )
    Use BIOS than,save some money Aquero is great but is also known for it's own issues (buggy software,LCD problems,cheap packaging that can be a problem during shipping ...)
    In my opinion,it's not worth it.*Unfortunately,in moment of desperation I tried it(6XT),returned it after 3 days*

Abaidor PC Specs
    Processori9-7940X
    Storage #2WD 10TB Gold
    CaseC0smos 2 Modded

Quote Originally Posted by Marko911 View Post
    Yeah,I see...I had problems with my Noctua's and NZXT on different headers,but still Noctua fans did behave strange(ofc that is subjective opinion )
    Use BIOS than,save some money Aquero is great but is also known for it's own issues (buggy software,LCD problems,cheap packaging that can be a problem during shipping ...)
    In my opinion,it's not worth it.*Unfortunately,in moment of desperation I tried it(6XT),returned it after 3 days*
    I just tried 2-3 more times with FanExpert (renaming profiles etc). The damn thing refuses to keep my calibration data and resets on every reboot.

I am re-tuning everything in BIOS Q-Fan right now and hope for the best. Will report back in 20 mintues.

Hmm. Regarding the Aquaero I am not too keen of installing yet another controller but I was hoping it would be trouble free - now you say you also had issues with it. I used to have another such controller 10+ years ago - The T-Balancer but they went out of business and I just have a box with it and all its extras in the closet. It also had its issues.

So was the Aquaero buggy in your set-up? I hear a lot of good words about it but as with everything what works in one PC is not guaranteed to work on another.

Marko911 PC Specs
    CPU CoolerEKWB monoblock
    Headset Logitech G933
    OS win 10 pro/64bit

In my opinion,I didn't find Aquero 6XT very much user friendly. Software,sometimes works,sometimes don't.-not much different than FanXpert.But when I did put under aquero device(without USB connection to PC) all settings it did work just like Asus BIOS,only exception is that Aquero gives you option to bind fans with temp sensors.So,at the end,I had what Asus was offering me,but with a price tag of 200euro and a heap of cables.I would buy it,if I had like 40 fans in my system,otherwise no.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Hopper64 PC Specs
    Hopper64 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus R6EO Bios 0702
    Processori9 9900X @ 4.9 1.28V VCore
    Memory (part number)GSkill F4-3600C16Q2-64GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 2080 Ti Kingpin
    Sound CardCreative SB AE7
    MonitorAsus ROG PG349Q
    Storage #1Intel 905p M.2 360G
    CPU CoolerEKWB Velocity RGB and Revo XRes 140 D5
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard Asus Strix Flare
    Mouse Asus ROG Gladius II Origin
    OS Windows 10 64

I have the aquaero 6LT and mine works quite well. I am using that for all my case fans. I have my cpu fans going through the cpu fan header controlled by AISuite 3 and have been plagued by the software losing my fan profile too. It has been that way for months. Don’t know how to fix it.*

Abaidor PC Specs
    Processori9-7940X
    Storage #2WD 10TB Gold
    CaseC0smos 2 Modded

SUCCESS!

I made my custom curves in the BIOS and now it runs perfectly and it also shuts off some of the fans not needed all the time (i.e. the ML120 that cools the Hot-Swap Disks and has its own sensor from the EXT. Card).

I am testing with Real Bench / OCCT and other tools while monitoring with Hardware Info 64 and everything runs as intended.

I don't know what I am really missing without AI Suite but I am leaving it without it and I am really happy with the way the fans work through the BIOS.
    If this configuration remains stable I do not think I need an extra controller.

I have not overclocked the CPU (i9-7940X) yet besided the XMP profile (3600Mhz) of the memory and my max temps under stress test do not exceed 60c while the PC is really quiet. The MO-RA 420 Pro radiator is doing an excellent job and I am pleasantly surprised by the EK Monoblock too.

Marko911 PC Specs
    CPU CoolerEKWB monoblock
    Headset Logitech G933
    OS win 10 pro/64bit

Great!The only thing you missing without AI Suite is another resource hogging app (this statement applies to all monitoring apps from Asus to Gigabayte,MSI .....)
    Luckily ASUS BIOS is hassle free

Abaidor PC Specs
    Processori9-7940X
    Storage #2WD 10TB Gold
    CaseC0smos 2 Modded

After having updated my BIOS to 1301 + New Firmware for Intel + the MEI Driver in Windows and now Q-FAN SET - I will be sitting tight. No more changes for me unless there is something really critical.