Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Maximus x hero audio

    Hello! I am in the process of buying a motherboard and was going to go with the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, but I am reading reports that the audio is very bad on it? the main reason I wanted to go for it was because of the audio. I want something that is very good for audio as I listen to music a lot and plan on using FL Studio 12 to make some beats.

    Some threads on the forum claim the audio is very distorted, flat, and makes weird noises. Can any MAXIMUS X HERO owners confirm this? Is there another motherboard that has good audio and great overclocking features that is maybe cheaper than the HERO?

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)
    Korth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Reputation
    152
    Posts
    2,719

    https://us.hardware.info/product/413...ro/testresults
    https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tec...hero-review/6/

    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...maximus-x-hero

    I don't own this Maximus, but from what I've read (at above links and several other testing/review/comparison sites) it seems to me that it has good audio overall, a few excellent performances and some unimpressive ones, it generally places around the middle of the list when compared vs other Z370 motherboards. The ASUS SupremeFX (and other audio) softwares can apparently make things sound quite awful without some finicky tweaking.

    I think it should be pretty decent for gaming and music listening, at least on the headset/headphone output. Not a lot better or worse than any other motherboard within the price range, those mobos which do have better integrated audio also have substantially higher pricetags. To be honest, I think that if (professional) audio quality is important to you then the smart choice would be to pair this board with dedicated audio hardware (either an internal soundcard or an external audio device, and my personal experience/opinion strongly favours external audio options).

    Onboard-integrated audio is basically a fancy codec chip plus a handful of tiny components (usually some filter caps and one or two op-amps) stuffed into one corner of the mobo, while a dedicated audio device is basically a whole PCB (on a daughterboard or in a box) which is packed with many dedicated components (including more caps and op-amps and whole arrays of analog audio-grade parts) ... it's the audio equivalent of comparing a processor-embedded iGPU vs a dedicated full GPU card, the former is fine for lightweight use but the latter is used on any task which requires serious performance/quality.
    Last edited by Korth; 05-21-2018 at 05:05 AM.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

    [/Korth]

  3. #3
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    https://us.hardware.info/product/413...ro/testresults
    https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tec...hero-review/6/

    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...maximus-x-hero

    I don't own this Maximus, but from what I've read (at above links and several other testing/review/comparison sites) it seems to me that it has good audio overall, a few excellent performances and some unimpressive ones, it generally places around the middle of the list when compared vs other Z370 motherboards. The ASUS SupremeFX (and other audio) softwares can apparently make things sound quite awful without some finicky tweaking.

    I think it should be pretty decent for gaming and music listening, at least on the headset/headphone output. Not a lot better or worse than any other motherboard within the price range, those mobos which do have better integrated audio also have substantially higher pricetags. To be honest, I think that if (professional) audio quality is important to you then the smart choice would be to pair this board with dedicated audio hardware (either an internal soundcard or an external audio device, and my personal experience/opinion strongly favours external audio options).

    Onboard-integrated audio is basically a fancy codec chip plus a handful of tiny components (usually some filter caps and one or two op-amps) stuffed into one corner of the mobo, while a dedicated audio device is basically a whole PCB (on a daughterboard or in a box) which is packed with many dedicated components (including more caps and op-amps and whole arrays of analog audio-grade parts) ... it's the audio equivalent of comparing a processor-embedded iGPU vs a dedicated full GPU card, the former is fine for lightweight use but the latter is used on any task which requires serious performance/quality.


    With that being said then.. would this be worth the value over the z370-a?

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array no1yak PC Specs
    no1yak PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero X I Wi-Fi/ Hero IX
    Processori9 9900KF/ i7 7700K both @ 4.9Ghz
    Memory (part number)Gskill F4-3200C16D / Corsair 2400 LPX
    Graphics Card #1Evga GTX 1070 SC ACX3 / Evga 1060 SC
    Sound CardEssence One DAC Muses edition
    MonitorEizo CG275W/ Dell U2719D
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe / 950 Pro
    Storage #2Samsung EVO 950 Pro M.2 + 850 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair 150i pro/Noctua NHu-14S
    CaseCorsair 500D/ Corsair 450D
    Power SupplyEvga 650 P2 /Corsair HX750
    Keyboard Cherry MX6
    Mouse Corsair M65
    Headset/Speakers Corsair SP2500 + Senn HD650 + HD 600
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 1909

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    132

    I must agree with Korth with regard to external audio. I use a USB DAC plus a couple of decent open backed headphones. The sound is far better than any onboard audio but, unfortunately it comes at a price. I have my onboard audio turned off in the bios as I'm using USB it's not required.
    So i've never had any unbalanced sound or pops or crackles that some are experiencing with the Hero X.
    Last edited by no1yak; 05-21-2018 at 10:40 AM.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)
    Korth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Reputation
    152
    Posts
    2,719

    Quote Originally Posted by originaldown View Post
    I want something that is very good for audio as I listen to music a lot and plan on using FL Studio 12 to make some beats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    ... if (professional) audio quality is important to you then the smart choice would be to pair this board with dedicated audio hardware ...
    Quote Originally Posted by originaldown View Post
    With that being said then.. would this be worth the value over the z370-a?
    Judging the worth or value is your call.

    MAXIMUS X HERO is the better board of the two (in my opinion) but I don't think you'd disappointed with a PRIME Z370-A ... they have different styles but similar specs and features with (overlooking user complaints) very much the same audio.

    You could spend a lot more on a higher-end Z370 motherboard, ASUS or not-ASUS, to get a bunch of features you may or may not use alongside slightly improved audio which you want to be better. You may find the audio quality perfectly adequate for your needs ... and you can always buy audio hardware later on if you find the mobo audio isn't good enough (at a cost comparable to the price difference between low-end and high-end Z370 mobos).

    Also take note that the vast majority of MAXIMUS X HERO users have never complained about their audio, indeed many have actually praised it strongly. It might even turn out to be an issue which affects a small percentage of "flawed" motherboards or which only becomes evident under very specific conditions with particular hardware combinations, etc ... basically, the sort of thing you could reasonably expect to be a non-issue over 99% of the time. I'm not flippantly handwaving the bad audio reports/complaints away - I'm sure they're legit and frustrating/annoying and probably not very exaggerated - I am pointing out that they seem to occur on only a tiny minority of these motherboards ... a total five unhappy audio users on these forums, so far, among the thousands who bought this popular motherboard.
    Last edited by Korth; 05-21-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

    [/Korth]

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array Dave-G PC Specs
    Dave-G PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core-i9 9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX-980Ti 6GB
    Monitor3x Dell S2719DGF 27" 1440p 155Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe
    Storage #2Western Digital WD Red 6TB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S
    CaseLian Li PC-V2000A Plus
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Mouse Pad Steelseries QCK
    Headset/Speakers Beyerdynamic DT990/Yamaha HS8
    OS Windows 10
    Dave-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    24

    Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    Also take note that the vast majority of MAXIMUS X HERO users have never complained about their audio, indeed many have actually praised it strongly. It might even turn out to be an issue which affects a small percentage of "flawed" motherboards or which only becomes evident under very specific conditions with particular hardware combinations, etc ... basically, the sort of thing you could reasonably expect to be a non-issue over 99% of the time. I'm not flippantly handwaving the bad audio reports/complaints away - I'm sure they're legit and frustrating/annoying and probably not very exaggerated - I am pointing out that they seem to occur on only a tiny minority of these motherboards ... a total five unhappy audio users on these forums, so far, among the thousands who bought this popular motherboard.
    I find this remarkable. I've had 3 MXH boards now and the same issue is present on all of them. Maybe customers that buy these boards aren't the enthusiasts they think they are and simply buy into the ROG hype/marketing. Maybe they don't hear it or they just don't care to hear audio crackles/popping every now and then. Or maybe they don't expect to get anything decent since its onboard audio after all. Who knows. But the problem is clearly there and it needs to be addressed by Asus.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •