cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help, dont know where to go.... :(

Pabloottawa
Level 7
Hi all,

Word is you guys really know your stuff and I am completely lost here so I’m hoping someone can help me with this.*

*I was playing a game and all of a sudden everything ****s down. Monitor, speakers, PC, everything. Tried to reboot and nothing, not even the fans would run. The only lights lit on the MB are the power and reset buttons No code error on MB LED. Blank code screen.

*TRIED THE FOLLOWING:
*Removed one of the SLI cards, reboot, nothing

*Removed both vid cards reboot, nothing.
Removed CPU heatsink (Noctua NDH 15) reboot, nothing
Removed CPU to see if the monitor would at least give me a code. Nothing
Disconnected the dual 6pin power to CPU. MB and fans came to life but again, no LED error code. Reconnected power to CPU and the MB would not light up like before. No fans, no codes no boot, nothing.

*Pulled all my memory out except for one 4GH ddr3 stick, reboot, nothing.

*By this time I knew that something has died and I’m pretty sure it’s either the MB, the PSU or the CPU. Because I don’t want to spend tons of cash on revamping my entire system is there any way to find out exactly what it might be by now? I’m really lost here and I hope someone can help. I feel like I’ve gone through all the troubleshooting steps and yes, I disconnected everything and ran a test bench with only power to PSU and display connected. Same results except when I’d disconnect the power to the CPU.

*Note that regardless of whether or not the CPU is installed, the MB will still turn on and fans run if power to the CPU is disconnected. As soon as I reconnect power to the CPU the MB refuses to turn on fans and peripherals. In all cases the monitor showed “no display connected” or something like that.

*System: MB - ASUS P9 X79 deluxe
CPU - intel i7 3930K 6 core 3.2ghz
MEMORY - Kingston HyperX 4gb DDR3 x 6 @ 24gb
PSU - Coolermaster silent pro 1000W

*Heat was not an issue as there was PLENTY of cool well ventilated air in the case at the time.

Really hoping some knows what hapenned*
10 REPLIES 10

Pabloottawa
Level 7
I forgot to add. I cleared my CMOS and installed a fresh battery.

jab383
Level 13
It's tough to diagnose remotely, but there are some clues. I had the same symptoms on a M6F a while back. I think a shorted VRM that is supplied by the 6-pin CPU connector is tripping the PSU overcurrent protection. OCP shuts down everything. Whether that's true or not, I think your best course is to contact ASUS support, ask for their help and expect them to authorize an RMA.

jab383 wrote:
It's tough to diagnose remotely, but there are some clues. I had the same symptoms on a M6F a while back. I think a shorted VRM that is supplied by the 6-pin CPU connector is tripping the PSU overcurrent protection. OCP shuts down everything. Whether that's true or not, I think your best course is to contact ASUS support, ask for their help and expect them to authorize an RMA.

Thank you for the reply Jab,

I called ASUS tech support this morning and confirmed that the MB is not under warranty so sending it to get repaired is not an option as it would be over 300 USD with no guarantee that the issue would be resolved. If it is the motherboard the cost to replace it would be sky high considering there aren’t any more gaming motherboards that support the LGA2011 i7 as well as DDR3 memory. Still digging to see what I can come up with. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone 🙂

Rob_W_
Level 12
From past similar problem, do you have a spare psu? Try that or do the paper clip test on psu, at least that could narrow the field a bit.
Faulty psu can cause that same issue, also check all connectors at psu and board.
Google paper clip test for how todo it.*

Rob W. wrote:
From past similar problem, do you have a spare psu? Try that or do the paper clip test on psu, at least that could narrow the field a bit.
Faulty psu can cause that same issue, also check all connectors at psu and board.
Google paper clip test for how todo it.*

Well, I tried the paper clip test and the fan spooled up so Does that mean 100% that it isn’t the PSU?*

Pabloottawa
Level 7
Thank you Rob. I’m gonna try that now. Fingers crossed 🤞*

Rob_W_
Level 12
Well, that rules out the psu,if it had failed fans would not spin up.
I am not familiar with your board but yes, there are knowledgable guys on here that should be able to guide you further,
My next course of action would be to remove board and set up on test bench ( box it came in) or flat non conductive surface, plug in only essential items and try it again, remember to double check all connections and make sure cpu cooler is not too tight.
Also try with no vid card.
If it works out of the case then it could have been shorting somewhere inside, give that a try.*

Check out those six pin connectors and there sockets.*

Pabloottawa
Level 7
Hey everyone well first off thanks for all the help and support. The reason I haven’t chimed back in is because I decided to upgrade as getting things fixed would cost way too much with no guarantees. That said now I’m having an entirely different issue with windows that I have NEVER come across.

I bought and installed the following:

ROG Strix Z-370-E Gaming motherboard
Core i3 8th Gen 300 series 8350k CPU
Kingston HyperX 32gb @ 2400
EVGA 1000 watt PSU

Sooooooo yeah I went balls deep lol but now I’m trying to install a LEGIT copy of Windows 10 64bit but every time I try I get one BSOD after another from Memory management to bad pool caller to IRQL something or other. Anyway just to see make if it would work I tried installing *win10 32 bit instead and it installed without so much as a hiccup. Everything went perfectly smooth so now I’m really confused. I checked all my BIOS settings and there is nothing that I can see that would need enabling/disabling in order to install a 64 bit OS. Has anyone ever had this issue with this exact board?

I used the 32 bit installation to format the SSD drive so I’m not sure if it formatted it in FAT32 or NTFS. Regardless, I’m sure it was previously formatted in NTFS as I had win8 64bit on there and I was still getting tons of BSODs.

I’m about to take a golf club to this build lol. Just kidding

Have I missed something? Are the Z370 boards super picky about how things get installed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.*

Pabloottawa
Level 7
Update:*

I’m returning the CPU to see if that is the issue. My research suggests it could be the Coffeelake’s *memory controller*