Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Crosshair VII: M.2 drives steal PCIE bandwidth

If the user installs an M.2 drive in the upper slot closest to the CPU, the graphics card runs at 8x instead of 16x.

This seems like poor design, given that the heatsink is installed by default on that M.2 slot. It would lead the average person to assume it is the primary M.2 slot, but it seems to be the lower slot.

Will running a dual M.2 setup lower the performance of my graphics card?

I've seen users complain of stuttering in games until they moved their M.2 to the lower slot.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array brkkab123 PC Specs
    brkkab123 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i5 6600K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 32GBs
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 OC 8GB
    Sound CardOnboard sound
    MonitorLG 25UM58-P
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB m.2
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1.0TB SATA & W.D. Black 2.0TB
    CPU CoolerEK Water Blocks EK-XLC Predator 240 1.1 w/push/pull add-on fans kit
    CaseNZXT Phantom 820
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2
    Keyboard Logitech G213 Prodigy
    Mouse Logitech G403 Prodigy
    Headset/Speakers Logitech X530 5.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterNetgear WNDR 3700
    Accessory #1 Logitech c615 HD Webcam
    Accessory #2 Seagate Backup Desk 3.0TB
    Accessory #3 Logitech U920 Driving Force Racing Wheel/Logitech Driving Force Shifter/GT Omega Wheel Stand

The top m.2 slot that has the heat-sink on it does use PCIe lanes.
    If you use it your x16 PCIe slot will only use x8 speeds.
    m.2 slot 2 on the bottom doesn't use PCIe.
    If you have a single m.2 ssd use the lower m.2 slot for it.

ROG Enthusiast Array schweigert PC Specs
    schweigert PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair Hero VII Wifi
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 2 1700x
    Graphics Card #1AMD RX 480

Quote Originally Posted by brkkab123 View Post
    wow..... thanks for this info. I was going nuts, figuring out why my card was only at 8x

now i wonder whats the net best config --- m.2 using pcie lanes w/ card at 8x. or m.2 using the bottom mount non pcie but card at 16x?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by schweigert View Post
    wow..... thanks for this info. I was going nuts, figuring out why my card was only at 8x

now i wonder whats the net best config --- m.2 using pcie lanes w/ card at 8x. or m.2 using the bottom mount non pcie but card at 16x?
    Use the bottom M.2 slot (M.2_1). It's PCIe X4 too, directly to the CPU. https://youtu.be/S0mR4IoNWkQ?t=3m20s

This is one nice and unique feature of the C7H. As far as I know, it's the only board that allows 2 M.2 operating at PCIe X4. I think all other motherboards have any second slot sharing lanes with other I/O through the chipset.

New ROGer Array

From the Motherboard manual for clarification

Hey guys, I know this thread is probably extremely dead, but posting here for anyone else who stumbles upon this;

From the Motherboard manual .pdf on ASUS' website; https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...lpDesk_Manual/

From page ix of the specifications summary, it says devices placed in M.2_2 will steal PCIE lanes from PCIE_SLOT_x8/x4_2.

Diagram of the .pdf's silkscreen, with the corresponding slots w/ respective colors.

You shouldn't see reduced performance as long as you're not running SLI/Crossfire on the board, or putting a graphics card in the x8 slot and running a M.2 SATA/NVME at the same time, for any people aspiring to run a dual NVME set-up like I will be. Honestly, this was a good move from ASUS, using the bandwidth second slot that most experienced PC builders wouldn't be using anyway, since it's an x8 lane to begin with. I'd say if you wanna go full cordless, use this lane for another PCIE storage device, or leave it empty, which is what I would so since it's too close to the x16 PCIE for adequate airflow for your GPU.

ROG Member Array sdamico PC Specs
    sdamico PC Specs
    MotherboardCH7
    Processor2700X
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200 (4-3200C16Q-32GTZRX)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3
    MonitorAlienware AW3418DW
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 1TB
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Floe AIO Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition
    CaseThermaltake View 71 RGB
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2
    Keyboard Corsair K95
    Mouse Corsair Dark Core
    Headset Logitech G933
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300
    Headset/Speakers Edifier e25HD
    OS Win 10 pro

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoosterneeb View Post
    Hey guys, I know this thread is probably extremely dead, but posting here for anyone else who stumbles upon this;

From the Motherboard manual .pdf on ASUS' website; https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...lpDesk_Manual/

From page ix of the specifications summary, it says devices placed in M.2_2 will steal PCIE lanes from PCIE_SLOT_x8/x4_2.

Diagram of the .pdf's silkscreen, with the corresponding slots w/ respective colors.

You shouldn't see reduced performance as long as you're not running SLI/Crossfire on the board, or putting a graphics card in the x8 slot and running a M.2 SATA/NVME at the same time, for any people aspiring to run a dual NVME set-up like I will be. Honestly, this was a good move from ASUS, using the bandwidth second slot that most experienced PC builders wouldn't be using anyway, since it's an x8 lane to begin with. I'd say if you wanna go full cordless, use this lane for another PCIE storage device, or leave it empty, which is what I would so since it's too close to the x16 PCIE for adequate airflow for your GPU.
    Yes, I've been confused by reviews and posts stating the M.2_2 was sharing lanes with the PCIE_1, which is not what the manual states. Hopefully the manual is correct, but either way I'm running dual M.2 Samsung EVO 970s.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

The video gorpo linked is correct, also the information posted by TheRoosterneeb is correct. Below is block diagram for ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Block Diagram.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	77205
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R7 2700X - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3533MHz C14 DC - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    The video gorpo linked is correct, also the information posted by TheRoosterneeb is correct. Below is block diagram for ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero.

Name:	Block Diagram.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	77205
    Yes, that's how the PCI-E Lanes are diagramed. But row 3 in the chart on page 1-8 of the manual illustrates how the PCI lanes are managed depending on what devices you have installed.
    Basically putting a NVME ssd in the M2_2 is using part of the bandwidth from PCIEX8/X4_2, basically like you putting a second video card. Thus lowering to x8/x8 or in this case the motherboard will split the lanes down to x8/x4/x4.
    So basically if you have 1 ssd and it's NVME put it in the M.2_1 slot, the lower one. If you put it on the upper M.2_2 your GPU on PICEX16 will work x8.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	77337
    Last edited by Kamui004; 12-01-2018 at 02:20 PM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Kamui004 View Post
    Yes, that's how the PCI-E Lanes are diagramed. But row 3 in the chart on page 1-8 of the manual illustrates how the PCI lanes are managed depending on what devices you have installed.
    Basically putting a NVME ssd in the M2_2 is using part of the bandwidth from PCIEX8/X4_2, basically like you putting a second video card. Thus lowering to x8/x8 or in this case the motherboard will split the lanes down to x8/x4/x4.
    So basically if you have 1 ssd and it's NVME put it in the M.2_1 slot, the lower one. If you put it on the upper M.2_2 your GPU on PICEX16 will work x8.

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	77337
    I never disputed placing a NVMe in M2_2 does not take PCI-E lanes, nor did gorpo's info or TheRoosterneeb's.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R7 2700X - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3533MHz C14 DC - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

New ROGer Array Tex-Rec PC Specs
    Tex-Rec PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rog Corsshair 7 Hero
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 2700x
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX1080 FTW2
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio
    MonitorAOC I2481FXH 24"
    Storage #1M.2 SSD Samsung 970 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2SSD Samsung 850 EVO
    CPU CoolerArctic Cooling Freezer 240mm
    CaseMS Falcon ( Custom Moded )
    Power SupplyXFX Pro Series 850W 80+ Bronze
    Keyboard MS Profesional RGB
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset Razer Kraken USB
    OS Windows 10 Pro Retail Licensed
    Network RouterUBEE

Question

Quote Originally Posted by brkkab123 View Post
    I just noticed today , when walking a little bit trought the BIOS that my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 runs at 8x instead of 16 and im using a single m.2 on the bottom slot since i builded this rig. Now i wonder why , as i known this before and thought i run it like it should runn , but it sems something wrong. Bios is on the latest version 2008 and im on the ASUS RGO Crosshair Hero 7.

is there a solution to give the GPU back 16x , btw the GPU is pluged in the First slot ( right below the rams )

EDIT: Reseated the GPU seems to solve my problem , a little dust evil landed on a pin , cleaned with 100% Alkohol all the pins , pluged in and 16x was again active.
    Last edited by Tex-Rec; 03-29-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast