cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 8700k OC problem - BCLK stays at 96 instead of 100

Fourside
Level 7
Hello dear ROG enthusiasts 🙂

About 2 weeks ago i got my new Gaming rig after 8 years of abstinence from PC Gaming.
Had alot of fun building my PC and delidding my 8700k and ive been tinkering with my OC ever since. Im new to overclocking and read alot about it.

Yet still i was wondering for quite some time why my OC was always lower than showed in the UEFI, even the stock OC only went to 4.5ghz on one core, all 6 cores with MCE. Took me as a noob way to long to realize that my BCLK once booted is only 96 instead of 100.

i took some pictures from all my UEFI settings (sorry in case i took some unneccessary pics) and also 2 pics of a cinebench with CPU-Z open and HWinfo

heres the link https://imgur.com/a/tXgArhH

things i already tried:
- Updating UEFI to (0616, previously 0615, same results)
- resetting CMOs and start over (multiple times)
- Enabling XMP
- Enabling MCE
- Enabling XMP + MCE
- Set an AVX offset of 1 results in another 100mhz less
- Setting LLC to level 3-7
- Power management set to Auto or Performance
- SVID to Auto or Best Case scenario

My MB is a ROG STRIX Z370-F

if you guys need any more information just ask! im hyped to keep trying 🙂 thanks for any help in advance!
13 REPLIES 13

Fourside
Level 7
no one an idea? all the stuff about the topic i find online is about really minor diffrences, like 99.8. My 96 severly cuts my OC down from 4.8ghz (which is only a starting point) to 4.6ghz.

some people mentioned its a software issue, but i get the same readings in all the monitoring softwares i tried.

do i need to replace the MB? its pretty much the last idea i got unless someone else may be able to help me out 🙂

Fourside
Level 7
no one an idea? all the stuff about the topic i find online is about really minor diffrences, like 99.8. My 96 severly cuts my OC down from 4.8ghz (which is only a starting point) to 4.6ghz.

some people mentioned its a software issue, but i get the same readings in all the monitoring softwares i tried.

do i need to replace the MB? its pretty much the last idea i got unless someone else may be able to help me out 🙂

Snakeyes
Level 11
What happens if you set your BCLK at say, 105? Or any number above 100
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

Fourside
Level 7
that takes it to around 100 in windows. but then bios shows 5ghz and CPU-Z only 4.8, so i dont know which numbers to believe 😕 would like to go over 5ghz but it seems like playing with fire around a gasoline tank 😛

thanks for your imput tho 🙂

Fourside
Level 7
so i did a clean windows install and resetted my bios back to factory version and just downloaded CPU-Z and .. its 96 base clock.
im soooo confuused man just why?

i noticed that task manager reports the right overclock... but everyone on the internet says to not trust TM and go for CPU-Z.

just want to have some fun with overclocking 😞

Snakeyes
Level 11
Here are a couple of suggestions.

If your BLCK is truly set at 96, it should reduce your memory speeds to reflect the same ratio. Does it do that? If it does, then try playing with increases in your BLCK till you show a BLCK at 100. That becomes your new standard and you can start messing with overclocking.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro

Legolas
Level 9
Sorry to hear abou that. I saw that you delid the processor. Kindly double check if the CPU has proper thermal paste on the delidded processor.
Did you try running at default , does the BCLK go to 96 as well?
For Windows, please makes sure you are running at High performance mode for highest BCLK/Frequency in Power options.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Fourside
Level 7
yes its the same for my memory speeds.

task manager shows the "right" OC, its at 5ghz when i set it to a 50 multiplier. that would not be the same with 105, so i dont know which reading to trust. usually people report a lower clock in taskmanager then CPU-Z, for me its the opposite^^ i guess i just try it with the increased BCLK and go with the CPU-Z readings.

@Legolas yes its the same at default settings, even with the factory update. i had this problem before delidding aswell, just didnt really bother to try and fix it because i thought i'll fix it when temps will not be a problem. my windows settings are all on high performence, and the CPU power options are all at 100%

Snakeyes
Level 11
If your memory speeds are being down clocked as well, then I would increase the BLCK in bios so that CPU-z is showing 100. Make a note of that adjustment and now play with overclocking with the new BLCK levels. What is happening to your motherboard is unusual, but might not interfere with your overclocking efforts.
Just make sure that when your adjusted BLCK is showing at 100 on CPU-z that your memory also showing the appropriately corrected values. If not, your problem could be more serious and I would discourage messing with the system. Could be RMA time.

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro