cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752V Fps drops at random get's fixed by alt+tab

vladmusat
Level 7
Hello everyone,
So during the past week i've noticed some fps drops in games like overwatch, hand of fate, hellblae, seemingly random games but not all games (PUBG and RocketLeague seem fine for now). They are massive fps drops (goes to like 10fps or less) but they immediatly stop when i alt+tab or i unplug and plug back the laptop's power cable. They happen after 10 min or so at first and then every 2 minutes or so.

I read that it might had something to do with g-sync but im not using that, it's disabled from the nvidia control pannel... other people say that it's from the latest windows update but why only certain games.

Also i have to mention that i play all my games in borderless window mode.

The temperature never reaches 80 keeps at max 78 and in some games not even that, so i think it might not be overheating. The laptop has been repaired multiple times for overheating at this point by authoried shops (in warranty) and had multiple parts replaced if that is of any importance

Specs: nvidia 980m, 24GB ram ddr3, i7-6700 @2.60GHz, nvidia driver version 397.64
9 REPLIES 9

Gps3dx
Level 12
let me guess - you're on win 10...

it's a know issue with win 10, at least on its 2nd and 3rd releases, i.e ANU and CU editions.
the web is full of reports with that issue...
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
let me guess - you're on win 10...

it's a know issue with win 10, at least on its 2nd and 3rd releases, i.e ANU and CU editions.
the web is full of reports with that issue...

indeed im on windows 10 brother... but this issue happened in the past also. So im a little bit affraid i will have to take it back to the repair shop. Or can you advise what i can do to stop this from happening?

vladmusat wrote:
indeed im on windows 10 brother... but this issue happened in the past also. So im a little bit affraid i will have to take it back to the repair shop. Or can you advise what i can do to stop this from happening?

A. don't waste your time into RMA - Asus won't solve it and there's always a change that your laptop will get scratches etc ..etc...
this is pure MS windows 10 issue, and it is well known.

there are few good advises here - although they are valid for any win on any PC HW ( i.e not very specific for win 10 ).
HERE, ppl says redstone 4 (i.e latest win 10 release from april 2018 ) solves it... you can try to upgrade - don't worry - all your data & apps installed will stay as they are.
i'm still on redstone 3 so can't validate that claim.
inorder to do that, get RS4 release ISO ( choose Windows(final)->1804 (redstone 4)->win 10->English ( EN int=GB, English=US )->x64 since you'r G751/2 serie) and follow this guide inoder to upgrade. make sure to choose "keep personal files & windows settings".
Asus G751JT
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
A. don't waste your time into RMA - Asus won't solve it and there's always a change that your laptop will get scratches etc ..etc...
this is pure MS windows 10 issue, and it is well known.

there are few good advises here - although they are valid for any win on any PC HW ( i.e not very specific for win 10 ).
HERE, ppl says redstone 4 (i.e latest win 10 release from april 2018 ) solves it... you can try to upgrade - don't worry - all your data & apps installed will stay as they are.
i'm still on redstone 3 so can't validate that claim.
inorder to do that, get RS4 release ISO ( choose Windows(final)->1804 (redstone 4)->win 10->English ( EN int=GB, English=US )->x64 since you'r G751/2 serie) and follow this guide inoder to upgrade. make sure to choose "keep personal files & windows settings".

Tried everything but nothing seems to help. Should i wait for a windows update or graphics card driver update or am i stuck with this ?

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
I had this issue with my g751jy only in borderless window mode. Try fullscreen. Try turning on gsync. Is your gaming hard drive almost full? Does the battery discharge when plugged in near 100% I've had issues like yours with all the things I've mentioned.

Weirdoutworld wrote:
I had this issue with my g751jy only in borderless window mode. Try fullscreen. Try turning on gsync. Is your gaming hard drive almost full? Does the battery discharge when plugged in near 100% I've had issues like yours with all the things I've mentioned.

This happends regardless of window mode or full screen, my gaming harddrive has almost 40gb free space, gsync doesnt seem to change things. And the battery seems to not discharge (what i noticed to day) but it did discharge in the past. I also have a 500mb partition made by the guys at the repair shop for some reason that says it's almost full like 98% but when i open it it's empty (and i can see hidden files so that's not it).
Hope this helps you identify the problem because i cant figure **** out.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Right now when I ALT + TAB with ARK, the resolution drops down to 640x480 it seems. Really bizarre. So yeah Win10. Still wish I was 8.1 so tired of this 'creators update' rubbish.

Imagine this image below, stretched to a 1080P 17.3" screen. May as well play Minecraft..

Darnassus wrote:
Right now when I ALT + TAB with ARK, the resolution drops down to 640x480 it seems. Really bizarre. So yeah Win10. Still wish I was 8.1 so tired of this 'creators update' rubbish.

Imagine this image below, stretched to a 1080P 17.3" screen. May as well play Minecraft..

Will this sort itself out with updates from windows or graphics card drivers? or should we keep looking for solutions? I'm asking because so far nothing i tried worked.

Gps3dx
Level 12
3 months later - but worth to try..
@vladmusat - since you're on win10...
please try one more thing...DISABLE "Focus Assist"

Lastly, you might get ~25 or more FPS by uninstalling your current NVIDIA driver (39x.xx) and instead, install v378.92 - read here for more info.
Asus G751JT
My Guides: