cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS K501UX Windows 7 drivers

sparr
Level 7
I know ASUS only displays drivers for Windows 10 but I want to install Windows 7.
Well, I was able to install Windows 7 64bit Ultimate but as you guess now it's time to deal with the drivers.
The first problem I've encountered is regarding onboard Intel chipset drivers because Asus calls the chipset in different ways (100 series and Skylake-U), the drivers in a different way, while Intel calls its drivers in a different way too SO I'm so confused on what drivers to download.
Ok starting from Intel download center there is no mention of laptops drivers so I need to do a Google search. https://downloadcenter.intel.com

I believe this laptop should have a comparable version which allows for Windows 7 drivers download so I hope experts here could help me in this near mission impossible.
Thanks in advance for any help.
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
If the notebook was never sold with Windows 7 then it's unlikely there are any drivers that will work. Windows 7 does not support most Skylake systems. Microsoft has chosen to require Windows 10 for all new systems.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
If the notebook was never sold with Windows 7 then it's unlikely there are any drivers that will work. Windows 7 does not support most Skylake systems. Microsoft has chosen to require Windows 10 for all new systems.

Thanks for that, I needed a double confirmation, I also understood that drivers directly from hardware's manufacturers might not be compatible as Asus might require the ones from their download page.

Really struggling with a vendor who sold me a laptop (refurbished) whit no OS backup copy in a hidden partition (no partition at all) no copy of Windows 10 and no chances to do anything but they told me to download a copy from Microsoft!
Bloody "forced" update 1709 broke everything that is why I HATE Windows 10!

And I wanted to mark this tread as resolved but I see no option, I hope this isn't seen as criticism LOL

sparr wrote:
they told me to download a copy from Microsoft!
Bloody "forced" update 1709 broke everything that is why I HATE Windows 10!

And I wanted to mark this tread as resolved but I see no option, I hope this isn't seen as criticism LOL

You probably already understand this but it's OK to download an ISO from Microsoft. As long as the machine you are installing on has a license the media itself is free. Also, a computer recycler recently got a huge fine and jail time for making Windows restore discs so there may be a legit reason why they didn't want to burn one for you...or they are just lazy. 🙂

Maybe if you start a new thread with your 1709 issues we might be able to help you resolve them. I'll admit that Windows basically reinstalling itself a few times per year makes me nervous but unfortunately that's the way it is now.

Yeah we don't have "mark as resolved" because basically everything is open discussion. I can close threads when needed but for the most part we don't bother unless they are getting out of hand.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
You probably already understand this but it's OK to download an ISO from Microsoft. As long as the machine you are installing on has a license the media itself is free. Also, a computer recycler recently got a huge fine and jail time for making Windows restore discs so there may be a legit reason why they didn't want to burn one for you...or they are just lazy. 🙂

Maybe if you start a new thread with your 1709 issues we might be able to help you resolve them. I'll admit that Windows basically reinstalling itself a few times per year makes me nervous but unfortunately that's the way it is now.

Yeah we don't have "mark as resolved" because basically everything is open discussion. I can close threads when needed but for the most part we don't bother unless they are getting out of hand.

Well I bought a laptop from a shop and since DVDs with the OS are no more supplied (greedy marketing tactic), I expect that the laptop came with a hidden partition and a backup copy of the OS but that wasn't the case.
Another greedy marketing tactic by M$crosoft is that if the laptop came with the Home version, you are not able to install the Pro version.
I understand this but since I ALREADY paid for a Microsoft license then give me the chance to pay a "little" difference and give me the right to install the Pro version.
Did I say that the Home version is a scam and it silently forces updates without warning and the computer restarts without giving a chance to save your work???
By the way, the 1709 issue is no more relevant as I already installed another ISO so the computer is running, fingers crossed!

xeromist
Yes, I've also struggled with the different Windows SKUs. At least now it recognizes your hardware and reactivates. In the past I had upgraded a version of Windows 7 and after reformatting I had to reinstall the base version and then upgrade again. It was a pain.