cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS K501UX BIOS update "file not matching"

sparr
Level 7
I downloaded the updated BIOS file from Asus but when I tried to update, the flash utility gave an error, something like "the file name doesn't match".
I guess it's the extension at the end of the flash file that needs to be removed but I don't want to risk bricking the laptop so could anyone please advice?
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
No harm in omitting the extension when you type the command. If it cannot identify the file it simply won't work. As long as you don't alter the contents of the file you'll be fine.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
No harm in omitting the extension when you type the command. If it cannot identify the file it simply won't work. As long as you don't alter the contents of the file you'll be fine.

Thanks for that but I don't understand the "command" part as the flash utility automatically sees the file loaded on the drive so I'm not sure but I think there is no option to type the name.
By the way, I'm talking about the utility in the BIOS.

xeromist
Ah, sorry I'm old school. I'm used to flashing things from a DOS or Unix command line. Yes in that case you might try renaming the file. Also double check you downloaded the firmware for the exact model you have. There are many variants for different regions so it's possible there might be a different firmware. Again though, it checks to see if the image is compatible before it starts the flash so you can't break it by accidentally downloading the wrong one.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
sparr wrote:
I downloaded the updated BIOS file from Asus but when I tried to update, the flash utility gave an error, something like "the file name doesn't match".
I guess it's the extension at the end of the flash file that needs to be removed but I don't want to risk bricking the laptop so could anyone please advice?

Hi,

It normally should not be necessary to rename the bios files once you unzipped them, so if the error is regarding the wrong bios model, that bios file you selected is not the correct one for your notebook as xeromist was mentioning in the post before this one.
Haven't checked what the differences are, but if you check the download site and bios descriptions again, you should notice the bios files for the K501UXM and normal K501UX are mixed together in the same area and don't appear to be compatible with each other, so you need to be careful which bios files you choose.

If you go to the bios main menu (tap the 'ESC' key after powering up and enter setup if you can catch it before the system boots to Windows), press 'F12' to see your bios model displayed on the bottom right-hand corner for a second, or just go to the bios tool menu to run EZ flash and check which bios model is displayed.
You should have seen your bios model displayed when you loaded the 'wrong bios model' to flash as well.
Since the bios files for the K501UXM and K501UX are also named differently, you can probably just check which bios file that you downloaded that isn't working with your system and get the 'other' bios files.

Hope this helps and makes sense, otherwise, feel free to discuss. Thanks.

cl-Albert wrote:

It normally should not be necessary to rename the bios files once you unzipped them, so if the error is regarding the wrong bios model, that bios file you selected is not the correct one for your notebook as xeromist was mentioning in the post before this one.
Haven't checked what the differences are, but if you check the download site and bios descriptions again, you should notice the bios files for the K501UXM and normal K501UX are mixed together in the same area and don't appear to be compatible with each other, so you need to be careful which bios files you choose.

If you go to the bios main menu (tap the 'ESC' key after powering up and enter setup if you can catch it before the system boots to Windows), press 'F12' to see your bios model displayed on the bottom right-hand corner for a second, or just go to the bios tool menu to run EZ flash and check which bios model is displayed.
You should have seen your bios model displayed when you loaded the 'wrong bios model' to flash as well.
Since the bios files for the K501UXM and K501UX are also named differently, you can probably just check which bios file that you downloaded that isn't working with your system and get the 'other' bios files.

Hope this helps and makes sense, otherwise, feel free to discuss. Thanks.

Thanks @xeromist, thanks @cl-Albert.
There is a problem with Asus' download pages because I select my laptop, K501UX, but the download is about the K501UXM model.
I tried Australia, America, Global and Singapore web sites and they all have the same file, it's so so confusing typical of Asus!
The BIOS version is the VK501UX.209 ( hence I'm trying to install the 301), at the bottom of the BIOS' window it says "Version 2.17.1249".
But all of these numbers make no sense to me because when I go to the download page I select the right laptop model and there is only one choice, the K501UXM.
Thanks in advance for clarification.

xeromist
Under the first BIOS download there is a link for See All Downloads or something like that. There seem to be other BIOS images not designate M available.

xeromist wrote:
Under the first BIOS download there is a link for See All Downloads or something like that. There seem to be other BIOS images not designate M available.

But I'm still in the K501UX drivers and support page so that doesn't make any sense to have these downloads which are not suitable for this laptop.
And also for each update there is no description and what is the update about, well actually for some downloads there is a show more description which takes me to totally unrelated laptops and instructions.
It seems like a kid is managing the page, what a SHAME!

xeromist
I don't understand it either; I'm just telling you how to find what you are looking for.

xeromist wrote:
I don't understand it either; I'm just telling you how to find what you are looking for.

I also am lost here 🙂
Please check the attachment.