cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rampage v extreme ram/slots problematic?

aledsav1
Level 7
Ok new here and longish story. on a very tight budget and the 'CHANCE' to move to a newer platform came along.

I bought a water damaged RVE, cost £25 thought i'd chance my arm that I could dry it out..it turned on so I bought a cheap chip E5 1603 v3 and a generic crucial 16g stick 2400. £80 + 100 both used.

on installation the board started the self test but failed with the ram I was getting code 53, tried all slots, updated bios cleared cmos etc etc..
I went out and bought a 8g 2133 crucial and this worked fine, though not in every slot got about 4 working, then discovered the zeon only supports upto 1800 speed though the 2133 worked i still thought this was the reason it didn't work with the 2400.

anyway got another 8g stick 2133 and managed to find a combination of slots that identified 16g total, other slots often did not see the full 16g, installed OS and everything fine gpu works etc. seems the red slots are ok but the black not?

I then purchased a i7 5820k the motherboard wouldn't power on for more than 0.5 seconds, treid everything again loosen cooler, changed ram around checked for bent pins updated bios again, nothing, power on- off instantly, sent the chip back to the guy who said he had just got it from intel as a replacement.

I then bought a faulty 5820k for £25 and the board got to b6, after some more messing the board now boots fine with the 2x8g 2133 and the 5820k but will not accept the 16g, have tried it in combination with the 8g and though the board boots the 16g isn't showing, 16g on its own the board wont post past 53 or bd.

I have not messed to much in the setting as it is a bit of a mine field for me, I used to extreme cool and OC many years ago but things have changed a lot re settings, back then a bit of a voltage increase to a couple of areas and a multiplier increase and that was it!

I cannot be sure the 16g is working anyway as bought used, but I cannot be sure it is not something to do with the board as the nature of it.

just looking for anyones responses re this really as at a bit of a loss.

And Hi all
7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
JEDEC 2133 will work at 1800 no problem. The problem is (and this shouldn't really be a surprise) that you've purchased a board that's suffered water damage so any POST codes and failure to POST is likely a red herring, and more likely due to the fact the board is faulty. I'd simply use the system without the 16GB module installed and soak test (pun intended) the system to see if it's able to function.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

aledsav1
Level 7
I have purchased water damaged components over the years, have to say always had great amount of success with them, as long as they are powered off the water won't do any damage if left other than corrosion over time. this was a minor spill, and as everything seems to be working other than the black dram slots (had it up and running doing all my pc related stuff, gaming etc for a couple of weeks now) I am wondering if there is a problem with the 2400 memory?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
You'd need to test the module in another system to know for sure.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

aledsav1
Level 7
Yeah... solution and a problem, don't know anyone with a suitable system.

thanks for your input

aledsav1
Level 7
Ok so 16g stick not detected in bios or windows but cpu-z shows it hows this?

Thorarin
Level 7
It's hard to say if this is the same issue, but I have regular problems with not all memory being detected.
24 out of 32GB will be detected, removing any one module (out of 4) will leave the memory total at 24GB.

After some fiddling, swapping modules etc it usually goes back to detecting all 32GB. There seems to be no logic to it. After a couple of weeks the system will crash and it will be back to 24GB. Rinse and repeat. *sigh*

I have been fortunate that I bought a faulty/damaged r5e and non working 5820, for £50 total and have a system that it working for all my needs (gaming), however I am new back to such highish end components and I must say they seem to be very temperamental and therefore unstable, and thats with no OCing not on about mine I accept that possibly the nature of mine have caused the ram issue, but why are so many others experiencing ram and other issues with this board?