cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20aj troubleshooting after thunderstorm.

Dbreneman
Level 7
I ran to town and on my way back a thunderstorm came thru. I had left my computer on with the website up for what I had gone to buy. During the storm lightning struck close to the house and the power came on and off a few times. After the storm I went to check on my computer to discover it would not run. The light on my mouse was on, and when I press power the light and fan come on half a second and then shut off. Sometimes it will only do it once and others it will cycle this every 3-4 seconds until I disconnect power. If I disconnect only the 230w supply the fan runs much harder but it otherwise is the same. If I disconnect only the 180w the pc will do nothing. Somethings I have tried are unplugging the power supplies and holding power for half a minute, testing voltage from the power supplies both rated 19.5v, the 320w was 19.93 and the 180w was 19.63. A friend of mine good with computers said that since it cycles it is unlikely the mother board and likely a power issue. I have ordered replacement power supplies, they will arrive in 2 days.
Is there anything else I can check in the meantime?
9 REPLIES 9

Dbreneman
Level 7
Hey everyone, I got the 180w power supply today in the mail! I plugged it in and it is still behaving the same, ****. The 230w comes tomorrow, thanks everyone.

xeromist
It's promising that you got nothing with the 230 connected and 180 disconnected. That might mean the 230 died. It will be interesting to see if the new one fixes it.

For the future, if you don't have those bricks plugged into a surge protector (not a power strip) you should.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I thought the 180w ran the cpu and the 230w ran the gpu, so shouldn't it boot up as if there is no gpu?

Dbreneman wrote:
I thought the 180w ran the cpu and the 230w ran the gpu, so shouldn't it boot up as if there is no gpu?

Yeah I thought about that after I posted it. I don't have one of these machines so I'm not sure what the normal behavior is when only one of the bricks is connected. Since you already ordered two new bricks I guess you will find out shortly if that is the problem or not. I'll cross my fingers for you.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Dbreneman
Level 7
I do have all of my electronics on a surge protector, especially in this room I have guitar amps and a PA. Locally we had a bad thunderstorm years ago and I knew few people who lost computers and other equipment. That is sound advice, thank you.

Dbreneman
Level 7
Haha thanka, we will know by 8pm today.

Dbreneman
Level 7
Both power supplies are replaced, same symptoms.

xeromist
I suppose you could open it up and look for any scorching. That might indicate if a component got fried. Of course you'd have to be extremely good at soldering to repair anything at the board level but at least you would know how extensive the problem is.

Dbreneman
Level 7
Yeah, I think I'm going to just pull the drives and pray they're fine, and maybe I can sell it on ebay. I opened it up, I didn't see any signs of scorching or anything else unusual. I have my important data backed up so it's not too big a deal aside from the money I spent on it and only having it a year.