cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help using adaptive voltage per core (Rampage VI Extreme)

Inkar
Level 7
Hi,

I'm trying to use adaptive voltage per core, but it seems the motherboard is ignoring my settings and using the "default" voltage curve.
The MB is a Rampage VI Extreme and the cpu is an i9-7940X (14 cores). Latest UEFI (1301) and ME driver for it. OS: Win10 Fall Creators Update.

BIOS settings I have set that, after reading some guides and posts, I feel can have some influence on making this work/not work:
-> Cpu core ratio: by specific core:
----> each core set to adaptive in the submenu, one of them set to 1.25v (as a test) and the others with the target voltage on "auto".
----> Note: Also tried setting a target value on each of the cores, but made no difference.
-> Cpu SVID: My understanding is that this needs to be set to "enabled" or "auto". Also tried to disable it once, but made no difference.
-> Intel EIST: enabled.
-> Turbo mode: enabled.
-> Cpu Core Voltage (global): auto
-> Cpu Input Voltage: auto

Note: As a test, I'm trying with 1.25v in each core when the "auto" setting uses around 1.15v, so it should not be an issue of me setting lower values than the standard curve. I use Cinebench to make sure the cpu goes full load while checking the voltage.
Note2: If i set each core to "offset" or "manual" core voltage, that seems to work fine.

Can anyone give me some help getting this to work please?
Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Have a read here sounds like the some issue i had lack of understanding.

LiveOrDie wrote:
Have a read here sounds like the some issue i had lack of understanding.

Thanks for the reply.

I can make my cpu use adaptive "globally" for all cores as you do there. That works fine for me.
I'm having trouble using "adaptive" per core (meaning using different adaptive voltage target for each of the cores).

Inkar
Level 7
Just re-checked using adaptive for all cores (synched ratio) and noticed that it is not working either. Guess I was late doing tests, misread some number and thought it was working fine when it was not.

Anyway, I tried the same options used in the thread that LiveOrDie linked and it does not work for me. I don't know what else to try. Any ideas?

Inkar wrote:
Just re-checked using adaptive for all cores (synched ratio) and noticed that it is not working either. Guess I was late doing tests, misread some number and thought it was working fine when it was not.

Anyway, I tried the same options used in the thread that LiveOrDie linked and it does not work for me. I don't know what else to try. Any ideas?

If you adaptive voltages are not working try setting it higher until it does.

LiveOrDie wrote:
If you adaptive voltages are not working try setting it higher until it does.

Can't make it work.

If I use auto voltage, I get this:

Now, if I set adaptive in the bios using the settings in the previous post I get this:

As you can see, IXTU shows that the voltage limit should be what I set in the bios, 1.291V, but for some reason it is not happening and the voltages remain as if everything was on auto.

I do not understand how this can happen at all.

Note: I did not use IXTU to set anything. Just used it to see what the values look like in Windows.
Note2: Also tried with SVID enabled, since Raja said in the Kaby guide that it should be enabled. Same result as with it disabled.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Without having the entire picture my guess is there is some setting holding you back.
Check the thread again and set only what you see there different from optimized values and leave the rest alone unitl you get where you want to be then only change one thing at a time. We all want to get there faster but often attempting too many things at once leaves us chasing out tails.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Without having the entire picture my guess is there is some setting holding you back.
Check the thread again and set only what you see there different from optimized values and leave the rest alone unitl you get where you want to be then only change one thing at a time. We all want to get there faster but often attempting too many things at once leaves us chasing out tails.

That's what I did. I cleared the bios once more and did it again just to take some pictures for you. I try to keep everything as much as it is in the thread, but some things can't be exactly the same (example: I have 3200 memory, so that can't have the exact same settings).

Just to make sure I'm doing everything right, to clear the bios i just shut down the computer and press the clear bios button in the back for 2-3 seconds. After that I get the "press F key button to enter the bios" etc message when I boot.

Here are the pictures:

First, when setting XMP I get this question. I answered yes.

Then I continued with the settings:

Just to make sure everything in the bios is right, this is the info screen:

Now the results (I use cinebench to keep the processor busy):

As you can see, it is not working. To be honest, I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

Inkar wrote:
That's what I did. I cleared the bios once more and did it again just to take some pictures for you. I try to keep everything as much as it is in the thread, but some things can't be exactly the same (example: I have 3200 memory, so that can't have the exact same settings).

Just to make sure I'm doing everything right, to clear the bios i just shut down the computer and press the clear bios button in the back for 2-3 seconds. After that I get the "press F key button to enter the bios" etc message when I boot.

Here are the pictures:

First, when setting XMP I get this question. I answered yes.

Then I continued with the settings:

Just to make sure everything in the bios is right, this is the info screen:

Now the results (I use cinebench to keep the processor busy):

As you can see, it is not working. To be honest, I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

Ok, so I found out what happened. I will leave it here just in case anyone gets in the same situation.

For an i9-7940X set to "sync all cores", it seems nothing below 4.4 GHz is considered "turbo" and the "additional turbo core cpu voltage" is totally ignored (even if the "stock" turbo for 14 cores is 3.8GHz) when the frequency is set below 4.4 GHz. I was trying with 4.0 GHz (which is in theory an overclock over the 3.8 GHz Intel standard turbo), so I was not getting the "additional turbo voltage" when I tried.

Note: The additional voltage worked with SVID support set to "enabled" and "disabled". Didn't notice any difference in the voltage applied to the cores while testing.

Abaidor
Level 9
I have successfully set my 7940X to 4.7GHz boost (2 cores) + 4.4Ghz all the other cores with similar settings to JustinThyme. It took some time though since I was totally new to this and my last OC attempt was 10 years ago. My memory is 64GB @3600Mhz CL17 (Trident Z RGB XMP)

I have 1.23 adaptive voltage (for turbo 4.7GHZ) and 1.15 for the rest of the cores. I am sure I can squeeze more from the CPU but I am satisfied since it runs so cool 99% of the time @32-35c and my fans are so quiet. I might try to reduce the 1.23 voltage too but won't be bothered for the time being.

BTW my CPU is not delided yet and will keep it this way since I don't need to push it any further for the time being and will keep my warranty. I upgraded from a Q9550 @ 3.4GHz so this is a huge jump for me already.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |