cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing cursor after POST. Appears to be related to motherboard

califauna
Level 7
Hi,

Recently I got a blues screen crash and on reboot I get a flashing cursor in a black screen at top left corner of screen. Prior to that I got a couple of other BSDs which I couldnt pin down to anything in particular. Unfortunately no crash dump file was saved for unknown reasons (dumps are enabled).

It seems to be something to do with the motherboard, as even with nothing attached except a bootable usb flash drive which works on other PCs, I still get the cursor.

Before testing with a usb drive I tried a bunch of stuff:
-tested power supply to hard drive by powering up hard drives using power supply then connecting them via sata adapter to other PCs. The drives can then be read on the other PC.
-changed ram sticks and slots
-tried different sata ports and 6g sata ports on motherboard
-cleared CMOS, reset BIOS, remove and put back battery, switched to other BIOS (the motherboard has option of switching between two onboard bios).
-completed BIOS flashback
-disabled all onboard devices and tried with BIOS configures for IDE.
-Tried on board j-micron sata port.
-tried with other video card and other video card slots

At boot the motherboard LEDs light up as normal and then go off as they should. They do stall a little longer on the 'boot device' LED though, and 4 very faint beeps coming from the board (not the drives) which dont sound like the normal loud POST beep which indicates no CPU fan is connected (I'm using a fanless heatsink)

Any drives attached are detected in BIOS in the 'sata configuration' section and in the 'boot devices section', but regardless, after POST I get the flashing cursor.

I recently switched to an SSD from mechanical. Perhaps the sata controller got overworked? Would that also cause boot from USB to fail as well? Thanks for any suggestions.

Rampage 3 Extreme Motherboard
Intel 980 Extreme CPU
Various drives tried
EVGA 750 p2 power supply.
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi Califauna

Check OS Type is set to 'Other Os"
CSM - Boot from storage devices - Both

If you've done a UEFI install, check boot priority 1 is set to "Windows Boot Manager"

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30520-RAMPAGE-Windows-8-7-UEFI-Installation-Guide

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Califauna

If you've done a UEFI install, check boot priority 1 is set to "Windows Boot Manager"

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30520-RAMPAGE-Windows-8-7-UEFI-Installation-Guide

Check os type where? In BIOS? The only thing I can find in BIOS related with OS type is 'PLug and play o/s'.

NOt sure what you mean where you ask if I have done a UEFI install. Do you mean if the motherboard has UEFI rather than BIOS, or if some or other o/s which I am trying to boot was installed on a machine using UEFI rather than BIOS? And check boot priority where? In BIOS I suppose? 'Windows Boot Manger'is not a n option in the boot devices priority option in my BIOS (1502).

Just looking online, my MB doesnt run or support UEFI, it's just BIOS.

If anyone else agrees with my suspicion this is a southbridge/sata controller hardware issue please confirm and I will look at sending it to an Asus repair centre.

Have just tried booting with a drive attached to a new pci-e card. Also just tried a different power supply.

PC is now working. For posterity sake and any others who may have these symptoms, yesterday I put another CPU which I bought cheap into the PC and it worked and since then no problems so far. So I'm assuming something went bad with the CPU and this was the cause of all the above.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Califauna

What is the computer doing when it shows an underscore on a black screen, then the Boot Logo, then Windows Loading?

Can I skip the underscore part?

Nate152
Hi Stellarspace,

In the bios on the boot tab, make sure the drive with operating system is set as the first boot device.