cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stability issues with ASUS Crosshair VII WiFi

michaelemcken
Level 7
Hi everyone,

So I am new to this forum, and also in the enthusiast consumer market.

So i just build my new PC, and it's running Windows 10 Pro, everything is installed and updated to lastest versions, Drivers, BIOS, and monitoring software (HWiNFO64) and it's booting without problems (YAY!) But i seem to have some problems getting everything to work together for what I actually need it for. Occasionally i have to reset BIOS, unplug power and do multiple restarts for the PC to be able to find my Ethernet and WiFi (both missing at the same time. But can this be due to memory clocked wrong? I can clock the memory to 3200 Mhz, and everything seems to be working fine, also during memtest, benchmarking and stress test of the entire system.

Also i seem to run into some throttling issues during gaming. My CPU and GPU is only at a around 5-25% Load, with temperatures being around 45-60C with Stock coolers, as i wanted to get the system up and running on stock, before tweaking (just so I have a baseline to work from)
CPU has maxed it's temperatures at around 62C during stress test with stock cooler, so i really doubt it's the temperatures keeping it back. I just can't seem to find out what the problem is, and why the PC works great during benchmarking, stress tests, but during games i get around avg. of 80 FPS in League of Legends (no matter the settings) 80-100 in CS:GO (same, no matter the quality of graphics) and i could go on, but i think you get the picture.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x
MB: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi
GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB 3600MHz (not on the vendor list)
SSD: Samsung Evo 960 500GB M.2 *

I hope someone out there might be able to come up with an answer for me.
Thanks,
Michael
57 REPLIES 57

balalahmad
Level 7
Hi!

I just finished my CH7 2700x build, with the latest 0601 bios. Initially things were great, and for some reason I had an odd shut down. Booted back up and my wifi/bluetooth was totally broken - system would recognize the device but claimed it wasn't working properly. No wifi networks found. Grabbed a USB wifi dongle, and that worked fine.

Followed a posters advice on another topic. Powered down, clear CMOS, killed power to PSU. Gave it 30 min and booted back. Wifi back to normal and being recognized. So far it's been 4 days and no issues. Ram running at 3200 14-14-14-34. Haven't done much more or OC'd - just left it at stock for the time being.

I typically don't run wifi on my desktops, mainly got the board because my current setup doesn't allow me to easily run a Cat6e cable. If it continues to act up, I may just end up hardwiring, but that still won't solve the Bluetooth part if it does - since I do use that to connect to my Edifier's in the room.

Hopefully it's just some software bug or something - wondering if I should report this to Asus regardless.

schweigert
Level 9
yeah i've got it down to a science now - rebooting = no network. shut down and turn back on = network

WilVidz
Level 7
I am having the same problem. I even RMA’d my C7H Wifi,got a replacement and its still doing the same thing. Its really frustrating....
Evertime I power up my system and log into windows it doesnt think the onboard lan adapter isnt connected(doesnt even show up in device manager).

The way I always get it to work is to just shut down and turn on until it works again. Sometimes it works one **** down,sometimes it takes multiple tries.

schweigert
Level 9
when I called asus ... two weekends ago -- i had them document it as they said no one had reported it. they were gonna call me back. they never did. (im on my third CH7 board)

schweigert wrote:
when I called asus ... two weekends ago -- i had them document it as they said no one had reported it. they were gonna call me back. they never did. (im on my third CH7 board)

wow, so we know 4 of us have this problem and both me and you have RMA'd our boards and still have the same problem.
There has to be more unlucky people out there having this problem too. I will be contacting ASUS for this and see what they say. I'm pretty sure when they said no one had reported it is BS.

gorpo
Level 7
Btw, I don't have this issue with network adapters in linux.

As for Asus support calling back... yeah I've heard that before. Don't hold your breath.

michaelemcken
Level 7
Okay, so after a couple of days fiddling around with my PC, getting very frustrated with how it performed compared to that all components are brand new, top shelf picks. I noticed that i had forgotten to wire my 4 pin power connector (the one at the top of the MB) into my power supply. So i had it wired to the MB, but forgot to plug it in, in my PSU.
This seems to have solved a lot of my problems. Suddenly everything seems a lot more stable (Everything still at stock)
Also i checked my 24 cable, which was somewhat lose. I had a hard time getting mine to fit perfectly, but unplugging it completely and try again in a better angle seems to do the trick.

Now all cables are securely fastned and sticks. Ill give you an update on how the performance is going forward. But you might be missing the 4 pin like me?

By all accounts, that 4 pin is unnecessary. The 8 pin connector is more than sufficient. On the other hand, the loose 24 pin doesn't sound good.. bad connections can cause weird problems. Hopefully re-doing connections solves your issues.

michaelemcken
Level 7
The 4 pin might be unnecessary, but it solved my problems with the weird acting ethernet controller. Why? I have no clue. I didn't do the 24 Pin until this morning, but that solved a whole lot of other things. Ram is finnally acting as i should, boot times are for some reason shortned, fans, rgb etc is now booting every single time i start the PC.

I will try and remove the 4 Pin, after a couple of days of stable system, to see if this just helped out, while the 24 Pin was loose.