cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula IV w/ Phenom II 965 and 16GB G.SKILL 2133

wadewomersley
Level 7
Just bought this motherboard and RAM, switched over all it all works (well almost, that's question one).

I cannot boot off my hard disk unless I have a bootable CD in my only BluRay drive. it says "Press any key too boot from this CD", I don't and then it boots off the hard disk fine. If I take the CD out it just will not boot saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". Boot order states hard drives first but even then, if the BluRay was first surely it shouldn't fail to boot? Everything is set to AHCI.

Second question is how can I get some more speed out of my DDR? Maximum I can set is 1600 without raising FSB. Got the 3.4GHZ Phenom II x4. If you have to increase FSB then does anyone know recommended settings for G.SKILL 4x4GB 2133 with said processor? Or am I just missing the RAM<->FSB multiplier setting somewhere?
9 REPLIES 9

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Sounds like you don't have the Drives listed correctly or you have the BD Drive plugged into the HD port...there's a single SATA connector next to the block of them, this is where you plug the BD into then plug your HD into SATA port 1 and it should work fine. also on the same tab as Boot Order there's one for Hard Drives Boot order. I found in this tab I was getting my USB flash drive that is always plugged in for ReadyBoost was becoming my HD instead of the HD and I was getting the same as you are.

As to the Memory overclocking I never try anymore because I always run into problems sorry.

chrsplmr
Level 18
also... was that drive set up as 'ide' ... the default in the board is not.... is the led red on hd?
in the bios under advanced... oooohh...and Welcome Wade...

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Pardon me Wade I forgot to say Welcome to the forums...My Bad!

I'll try using that separate port, wondered what it was for! Drives are all set up as AHCI. Must admit playing FFXIV though at the moment so will be a bit!

Thanks for the welcome guys, would've replied sooner but looks like GMail is junking emails from the forums!

DaemonCantor
Level 13
I had that same problem too till I got it trained now it junks mail from my wife instead!...

Totally forgot to come back and say thanks for the info on the SATA port, working a treat!

As for the memory, got it up to 1720 comfortably, going to try and get it up higher this weekend.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Glad to have help ya! and I hope to one day watch you take out n00b's!

Haha thanks.

You know I rarely play FPS's now though, just can't find one I can really get in to! Since Quake/EF nothing lives up to them.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
I know what you mean there! But I did find a couple titles like Quake Wars that come close just some don't have the Single Player side to them. I'm also a big fan of the Quake series since the first Quake came out which BTW is still on my Book Shelf!...:D