cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trident Z RGB at 4000 CL16/17 on RVIE with 7960X

gridironcpj
Level 9
Good evening,

I recently purchased a 7960X to replace my 7920X, the latter of which was unable to do 4000MHz at CL16/17 (or anything else for that matter) with a Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) kit rated at 3600MHz and CL16. I spent probably at least a dozen hours trying different timings and voltages, but no success. I use HCI memtest as my primary memory stability test. After getting my 7960X, I still can't pull off 4000MHz, which leads me to believe either one of the following:

(i) this kit is incapable of hitting 4000MHz with "100 percent" stability
(ii) The RVIE is a terrible mobo for memory overclocking and I should have gotten the cheaper and superior Apex (go figure)
(iii) Both my 7920X and 7960X are lottery losers in the IMC department

Has anyone here had success with these Trident Z RGB kits? I should mention I have no problems booting and running benchmarks, but I usually get errors with HCI memtest between 100-200% coverage.
2 REPLIES 2

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Both boards are more than capable of hitting 4000Mhz. The likelihood is both the CPU and memory kit will need tuning in order to stabilise this speed. As far as I'm aware most CPU will do 4Ghz, but there will no doubt be some that cannot unconditionally as it's at the very end of the spectrum on this platform.

Have you tried simply relaxing CAS to 18?. Try also both Maximus Tweak modes 1 & 2. Most CPUs on VCCSA like around .800 to .950 total voltage, sometimes a little less. If you have a weak IMC you may want to try up to 1.05v
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Both boards are more than capable of hitting 4000Mhz. The likelihood is both the CPU and memory kit will need tuning in order to stabilise this speed. As far as I'm aware most CPU will do 4Ghz, but there will no doubt be some that cannot unconditionally as it's at the very end of the spectrum on this platform.

Have you tried simply relaxing CAS to 18?. Try also both Maximus Tweak modes 1 & 2. Most CPUs on VCCSA like around .800 to .950 total voltage, sometimes a little less. If you have a weak IMC you may want to try up to 1.05v

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have tried relaxing CAS to 18. I've also relaxed my primaries to 18-18-18-40, but still no luck (this actually produced even more errors). I am unfamiliar with Maximus Tweak modes 1 & 2, but I'm assuming those are for the Maximus series of boards, whereas I have an RVIE. I have tried some profiles in the BIOS in the past, but those failed miserably for me.

Considering I have tried 2 CPUs, perhaps the kit is the issue? I have yet to find any examples of stable 4000MHz on X299 using a Trident Z RGB kit. I've searched various forums and I have found nothing.