cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 1 won't boot on Rampage IV Extreme

ssssilent
Level 7
Hello,
My PC was working fine yesterday, and then I turned it on this morning and got a bios splash screen and then it turned to black screen and it was stuck there. I tired restarting and entering the bios settings but it wasn't responding to any key, and it would again be stuck at the black screen. So I switched to BIOS 2(which is on default system confing)and managed to enter Windows, and everything seemed fine. But now, whenever I try to switch back to BIOS 1 it doesn't even show the BIOS screen, it's just a black screen. The DRAM LED is red, and it shows 14 (Pre-memory CPU instalization is started) on debug LEDs. I tried putting each RAM stick in both right and left slots, but it didn't make any difference. I also tired Go Button with the same results. But I don't think it would boot Windows on BIOS 2 if the RAM was faulty. I'm running out of idieas, does anyone have and idea of what could be wrong? Should I try flashing the BIOS? Any help is much appreciated .

Note: CPU is OCed to 4.2GHz on BIOS1 and RAM is 1833Mhz

Motherboard: Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: i7-3930K @ 3.20GHz (3.8Ghz in turbo mode)
RAM: 4x4GB HyperX Beast
GPU: GTX 1080 Strix
SDD: Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: CM Silent Pro 1000W
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Have you switched to BIOS 1 and cleared CMOS?

That did the trick. Many thanks! I cleared CMOS, but I was in BIOS 2 apparently.

ssssilent
Level 7
Me again. I keep getting cpu spikes after clearing CMOS. Any idea what might be causing that?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
hey ssssilent....can you clarify cpu spikes....spikes in voltage or load...I'm presuming you don't mean normal speedstep operation where the CPU adjusts voltage depending on background load

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
hey ssssilent....can you clarify cpu spikes....spikes in voltage or load...I'm presuming you don't mean normal speedstep operation where the CPU adjusts voltage depending on background load

Well I play Battlefield 1 only, and after I cleared CMOS and loaded the old BIOS profile I noticed a lot of shuttering and game even completely freezing for a sec, especially in demanding cpu environment when there are lot of explosions and lot of players clustered in one place. It's unplayable, and it shows a lot cpu spikes in game graph, but weirdly cpu usage doesn't seem to go over 60%. Max CPU temps is around 57C, nothing different than before. Tried turning off hyper-treading, but the only difference was that cpu usage was reaching 100%. Voltages seem to be normal. I had CPU at 4.3GHz and RAM at 1866MHz before I had to clear CMOS, so I tried to set it to 3.8Ghz and 1600Mhz, but it didn't help. I'm starting to wonder what caused the black screen at the first place. There was a thunderstorm the night bore it went wrong. Maybe there is some damage to hardware. DRAM LED on motherboard is off now, but I just don't know..

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm...sounds like the hardware is OK but you never know...lightning can play havoc with electronics but let's not go there just yet

There's a new Nvidia driver out today 397.93....maybe a good excuse to clean install graphics driver and see if that helps?

Is all your RAM showing up in BIOS and OS?

ssssilent
Level 7
All RAM shows up, and It's definitely not GPU related, here is a short video from actual game. Yellow graph represents cpu. It used to be steady before, and FPS never went below 60.
https://streamable.com/a4bv6
And it gets a lot worse then it is in that the video.