cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 TI OC black screen monitor, GPU Fans 100% after black screen

RGB2
Level 7
Hello,

After about one hour my monitor is randomly losing signal (black screen) when I play some games (like Farcry 5) , and I have to reboot the system to work again. When the monitor loses signal fans go to 100% !!:( I could still hear the Game through the speakers so I knew it was still running. I have this pc for about 5 months and nothing like this has happened before. Any advice?

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 TI OC
Power: corsair HX850i
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
Ram: 32G G.skill
Monitor: Benq 144Hz
SSD: Plextor 512
HDD: WD
5 REPLIES 5

RGB2
Level 7
Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?:confused:

laetilodie
Level 7
Hello,

I've had exactly the same problem with the same video card since Friday. I solved part of the problem by putting the video card bios back on the Asus website but now the problem I have is different.
In the evening when I leave my computer on, the screen goes to sleep and in the morning it is impossible to wake it up.

laetilodie
Level 7
I found my problem, it was the power supply, one of the connectors had melted.
Maybe you also have a problem with your PSU.

Talon1
Level 7
I had the same issue my 1080ti on Far Cry 5 and other games. I uninstalled the drivers, ran DDU and installed the latest drivers.
No crashes for weeks now. All is good so far. 😉

RGB2
Level 7
Dear Talonl and laetilodie, thank you for your response.
my problem is fixed now, when i changed Sleeved Cables (2*8pin PCI-E GPU power connectors) with original corsair cable and also Removing Riser cable. also update Mobo Bios and GPU driver to 390.77 and Reinstalled Windows to last update of Windows 10 (1803).
when i searched around to this and other forums I realized that, there are huge reasons for "BLACK SCREEN MONITOR and GPU FANS go to 100%"I listed the reasons that led to this problem. And I hope that it will be useful for people with the same problem.

1) Tried a new PSU,
2) It could be the GPU, maybe check and see if it's seated correctly and it has the correct power cables in place.
3) It could be the cables. Maybe swap them out, and see if that makes a difference.
4) Downgraded graphic drivers to older version
5) Dropped GPUs core clock by 105mhz
6) Trying a different PCIe slot is probably a good idea
7) the 12v+ rail is falling below the needed specs.+12V = 11.424 and under load down to 11.0
8) ran a memory diagnostic,
9) used DDU to uninstall and reinstall new and previous drivers,
10) Reinstalled Windows,
11) updated motherboard BIOS,
12) reseated card, ran at stock clocks,
13) Lowering GPU core clock by -90 Mhz
14) Replacing MOBO
15) New coolers and fans to eliminate over heating
16) Updated all drivers, then tried older GPU drivers
17) Sure everything is right with PCI-E cables.
18) clean all the fans in the machine
19) Make sure Your GPU is Plugged in properly to the PCI-E and The Power connectors Are connected
20) Check and reconnect the 24 pin socket on the motherboard
21) You’ll want to try reseating the GPU cooler (assuming that if you set a new fan curve, the temps do not drop).
22) Try running fans at 100% all the time, and then running a benchmark. If it still overheats, replace all thermal interface material between the heatsink and the gpu/vram
23) You have to be all the cables plugged right.
24) If your temps look good, it might just be the PSU. So try to get a different brand of PSU and see if that fixes it.
25) GPU overheating. Try running fans at 100% all the time, and then running a benchmark. If it still overheats, replace all thermal interface material between the heatsink and the gpu/vram
26) Removed SSD and test only with HDD
27) Changed out PSU power plugs
28) BIOS setting are all at default and install BIOS latest version
29) Checking chipset and other motherboard drivers up to date.
30) Tested out gaming in debug mode at NVidia setting.
31) set a very aggressive GPU and CPU fan curve
32) Check your 12v lines at bios. It must be always +12 (about 12.22v steady)
33) My guess is that you didn't OC properly (unstable settings). Remove OC and set setting at default.
34) Make sure both the power connectors are inserted properly into the GPU.
35) Turning of Turbo mode and CPU c states in the CPU setting at the bios.
36) Disable the anti-surge feature at the bios.
37) Checking and Replacing SLI cable if used. (use standard cable)
38) Removing Riser cable if used.
39) Uninstalling corsair link program.
40) Checking CPU and GPU temperature.