cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPET and Z370

RemiW
Level 7
Hello, just wanted to ask quick question

can any of the MB's disable/enable HPET?

(ROG STRIX Z370-E, ASUS Maximus X Hero or Code)

Do any of these motherboard got option to disable/enable HPET? Was looking on it in the forums but somebody says there is option and other ones that it needs third party programs to enable it or that it doesn't have so if anybody would tell me if any of this MB have HPET i would really appreciate since I'm gonna buy one of these with i5/i7 in next month and really need to know.
7 REPLIES 7

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Code can. I am pretty sure the Hero can.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
Code can. I am pretty sure the Hero can.

If true then this is a "new" feature which ASUS ignored or dismissed on past requests. Can you screenshot the BIOS page?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Not as the perfomance gain or anything but i feel delayed on mouse + keyboard and what my monitor actually shows so it's better for me to just put it off that's why I ask, would be perfect if someone could confirm that there's a option for it. :confused:

Korth wrote:
If true then this is a "new" feature which ASUS ignored or dismissed on past requests. Can you screenshot the BIOS page?

Dang you are correct. I could have sworn I recently performed a test enabling/disabling it in BIOS. I know my old Asus Hero VII had it as an option.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Korth wrote:

Is there any possibility that I can disable HPET on ROG Code? (just bought) I don't care about the 'perfomance gain' but i feel the input lag or something is too slow with the seeing image (on my old Gigabyte board i always disabled hpet and was perfect)

not sure but before I saw posts like contacting ASUS to get the support install the option (HPET) into my motherboard - is it true? If not do u know any other way? ( the cmd thing (https://www.ghacks.net/2013/04/18/try-changing-hpet-settings-to-improve-your-pcs-performance/) will just make disable it from windows but in the BIOS I would like disable it too to be sure it's not enabled, would be nice if u help since I'm stuck hopeless)

HPET in BIOS settings is a feature request I happily support and have been vocal about before.

But ASUS has dismissively handwaved it away too quickly and too often before ... it's obvious to me that (for whatever reason) ASUS simply has no intention of ever implementing it on their new mobos/firmwares. I don't accept the usual "we'll look into it and keep you informed" answers any more because more than enough time has passed and nothing has ever changed ... it's a simple on/off function which was standard issue in past mobos, so it's not at all impossible to implement and it hardly needs exhaustive testing/debugging. I let the results speak for themselves, it's come to the point where I just don't expect it and won't believe it until I actually see it.

I don't usually buy into conspiracy theories, but I do think the conspicuous lack of HPET controls has something to do with licensing/compatibility terms involving Microsoft. HPET has been superseded, but it's not an ancient EOL/legacy technology (like Haswell or Win7) which is simply too old and broken and obsolete to continue supporting forever. I honestly think end-users don't have HPET control in platform firmware because Windows automagically handles these sorts of things and non-Windows (ie: linux) makes Microsoft unhappy.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth
Level 14
There is no HPET user setting in BIOS. The feature has been discussed and requested at these forums many times before.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93254-Where-can-I-find-the-High-Precision-Event-Timer-(HPE...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83654-HPET-and-Windows-10-on-RVE
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23113-HPET-High-Precision-Event-Timer
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?75683-Request-Asus-z170-High-Precision-Event-Timer-(HPET)
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93767-Hpet-in-Maximus-ix-formula

If you're running Win10 then you can change HPET settings through the command prompt.
If you're running WinXP/Vista/7/8 then you'll have to use much more involved and technical methods. Although these old WinOS versions don't support Coffee Lake processors anyhow, so good luck.
If you're running a linux then you'll never need to adjust HPET settings in BIOS - if the linux kernel uses HPET then it also can automatically/manually configure HPET.
A software HPET option always exists, even though a firmware (BIOS) HPET option is absent.

Don't believe all the hype you've probably read online about HPET being your golden ticket to locked-out performance gains. It is (nearly) obsolete for good reason, it has problems and limitations which don't affect other timing approaches (like TSC). HPET experiences (or introduces) all sorts of subtle timing/sync issues on VMs and SMT/CMP computing (which includes Intel HyperThreading and is increasingly prevalent in modern multi-threading hardwares/softwares). I don't expect tweaking HPET off default setting will give you any nontrivial performance gains but I do expect it will eventually give you many reliability, stability, and compatibility headaches.

[/Korth]