ROG Member Array

Exclamation GL753VD keyboard not working

Dear all,

I've bought a new ASUS ROG GL753VD laptop and faced an issue with keyboard - the only key that works (both in BIOS and Windows) is the Power key, no other keys nor the backlight work. A USB keyboard works ok. The keyboard and backlight cables look normal. HID keyboard is missing from the Device Manager, but an interesting device exists - VID_048D&PID_89DB, I suppose it could be the keyboard controller.

My issue is very similar to this one, except the laptop model. I have downloaded the Keyboard Adjustment Tool, extracted it and even found a reference to my VID_048D&PID_89DB device in ini file, but don't know any way to flash the correct keyboard firmware for my model. All ASUS Service Centers are very far from my home town, so I'm searching for a way to solve the issue by myself. Please advise

ROG Member Array

Update: solved by ASUS G752VS Keyboard Fix by BogdanCiulei, xAKUMAx (thank you!!!) - NKOriginal and NK00070003 work good, NK0003000B swaps c and 0
    Now only two minor issues remain:
    1) Caps Lock turns the LCD backlight on/off
    2) the Keyboard backlight remains off, have never seen it working yet, ATK is installed and Fn+F4 backlight brightness is maximum

ROG Member Array

I have tried Gary Key solution with 3 bt.exe versions (dated 2003, 2007 and 2011) - first two give error -1, the last one gives result code 255, the backlight still doesn't work.
    There's also an interesting solution described here, but it doesn't work for me - AFUWIN GUI says that GL752VW bios dump's size is different from mine (it is 128kb smaller indeed). Maybe someone could share GL735VD bios dump for me to try flashing Non Critical Block 2?

ROG Member Array

Got the BIOS dump from the same laptop with a working backlight. Afuwin works ok with /GAN (Secure Flash override), but after adding /K (flash non-critical block) it fails:

D:\afuwin>AFUWINx64.EXE dump-FX753VD.bin /K /GAN
    +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | AMI Firmware Update Utility v3.05.04 |
    | Copyright (C)2013 American Megatrends Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
    Reading flash ............... done
    Erasing All Block ............ done
    Updating All Block ........... done
    Verifying All Block .......... done
    Secure Flash enabled, recalculate ROM size with signature...
    - FFS checksums ......... ok
    Loading capsule to secure memory buffer ... done
    18 - Error: Unable to start a Secure Flash session.

New ROGer Array

ITE 8176fn-bxa

damaged Qfn48 ITE 8176fn-bxa ec dump

New ROGer Array

Worked (partially) on GL753VE-DS74

Hi, I followed your instructions on my GL753VE-DS74, and keyboard worked again! Thanks a lot for posting, I was about to buy a new keyboard.

Same issues as you, CAPS LOCK turns off screen, even with external keyboard, and no backlit keyboard.

Where you able to fix the issue of backlit?
    Is it possible that you can share with me the firmware image you got from FX753VD?

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by kiawizard View Post
    Got the BIOS dump from the same laptop with a working backlight. Afuwin works ok with /GAN (Secure Flash override), but after adding /K (flash non-critical block) it fails:

D:\afuwin>AFUWINx64.EXE dump-FX753VD.bin /K /GAN
    | AMI Firmware Update Utility v3.05.04 |
    | Copyright (C)2013 American Megatrends Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
    Reading flash ............... done
    Erasing All Block ............ done
    Updating All Block ........... done
    Verifying All Block .......... done
    Secure Flash enabled, recalculate ROM size with signature...
    - FFS checksums ......... ok
    Loading capsule to secure memory buffer ... done
    18 - Error: Unable to start a Secure Flash session.

New ROGer Array

GL753VD Keyboard dead

Hey kiawizard... Wondering what steps you followed to fix your keyboard. I've tried flashing multiple times with all the NK files and they all told me device not found in the updater logs. Appreciate any pointers. This issue is super frustrating! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kiawizard View Post
    Update: solved by ASUS G752VS Keyboard Fix by BogdanCiulei, xAKUMAx (thank you!!!) - NKOriginal and NK00070003 work good, NK0003000B swaps c and 0
    Now only two minor issues remain:
    1) Caps Lock turns the LCD backlight on/off
    2) the Keyboard backlight remains off, have never seen it working yet, ATK is installed and Fn+F4 backlight brightness is maximum