cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Code BIOS and turning off fans completely

Tazski
Level 7
I am attempting to configure Speedfan to control my fans, rather than AI suite 3, which I have been having multiple issues with..

Long story short, Speedfan does not seem to want to turn down any of my Chassis fans to 0 rpm, i.e. turn them off. It does however turn off my CPU and HAMP fan. I was able to do this with AI Suite by firstly setting the minimum fan speed to "Ignore" in the BIOS, plus ticking the checkbox which was labelled "Auto-Fan Stop" in the Fan Expert section of AI Suite.

Searching around, I discover that other Maximus motherboards, and also the IX Code mb have an "Allow Fan Stop" option in the BIOS, which I am assuming would probably help with Speedfan turning off my fans. I can't see this option anywhere in my BIOS, nor in the manual for the Maximus X Code.

But really I dont know, as I am not very familiar yet to Speedfan. Any help appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

emsir
Level 8
Tazski wrote:
I am attempting to configure Speedfan to control my fans, rather than AI suite 3, which I have been having multiple issues with..

Long story short, Speedfan does not seem to want to turn down any of my Chassis fans to 0 rpm, i.e. turn them off. It does however turn off my CPU and HAMP fan. I was able to do this with AI Suite by firstly setting the minimum fan speed to "Ignore" in the BIOS, plus ticking the checkbox which was labelled "Auto-Fan Stop" in the Fan Expert section of AI Suite.

Searching around, I discover that other Maximus motherboards, and also the IX Code mb have an "Allow Fan Stop" option in the BIOS, which I am assuming would probably help with Speedfan turning off my fans. I can't see this option anywhere in my BIOS, nor in the manual for the Maximus X Code.

But really I dont know, as I am not very familiar yet to Speedfan. Any help appreciated.

There is NO auto fan stop in Bios. You can manually set the fans in Bios - but no auto fan stop. Auto fan stop is available in Fan Expert in Ai suite III. You can thick it if you want auto fan stop. Speedfan is not compatible with Aisuite and fan settings in Bios. Either you use Fanspeed, Aisuite, or fan control in Bios.
Aisuite III and fan expert works just great on my system (Maximus Hero X) so my guess is you have Fan Speed installed AND Aisuite III. That's why you have problems. Some times you have to think about what you install and why you struggle.

emsir wrote:
There is NO auto fan stop in Bios. You can manually set the fans in Bios - but no auto fan stop.

So, using Bios alone, is there no way to stop the fans completely? (i.e. in PWM mode - I am using all PWM fans) I am unable to drag the curve down to 0 rpm on any of the fans in Qfan control - even when I have the lower fan speed set to "Ignore". I do understand there is no "Fan Stop" as such, but why would the Bios prevent me from allowing me to completely stop my fans? Or am I missing something?

emsir wrote:

Aisuite III and fan expert works just great on my system (Maximus Hero X) so my guess is you have Fan Speed installed AND Aisuite III. That's why you have problems. Some times you have to think about what you install and why you struggle.

Well, you guessed wrong. I never had Speedfan and AIsuite 3 running concurrently. I completely uninstalled AI Suite 3, and stopped all services (using numerous guides I found in these forums), and was using Speedfan solely to try and control my fans. My question was therefore relating to if I could stop the fans completely using Speedfan alone (i.e. without any other fan control software running)

I am not saying that AIsuite doesn't work for me - it does seem to control the fans well, including stopping the fans. The reason I am experimenting with Speedfan are due to other issues (or you could say bugs) that I am having with AI Suite 3, which I am currently investigating and are beyond the scope of this thread.

swfblade
Level 7
Did you ever find a solution to getting Speedfan to stop your fans? I have a Strix Z370-E and cannot get it to stop the fans. AI Suite loses my settings on every reboot and now has incorrect labels for my fans, so wanted to use some software that works.

swfblade wrote:
Did you ever find a solution to getting Speedfan to stop your fans? I have a Strix Z370-E and cannot get it to stop the fans. AI Suite loses my settings on every reboot and now has incorrect labels for my fans, so wanted to use some software that works.

No, I eventually got AI Suite to work for me, so gave up on Speedfan. In order to stop the fans completely, I could only do this with AI Suite. It doesn't seem to be possible to stop the fans with BIOS or Speedfan (although I didn't fully experiment with Speedfan).