cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only 12 gigs of ram

HERO745
Level 7
Hi guys, I've had my asus rog gl553vd for a year now, and I just realized that I only had 12 gigs of ram instead of 16. What should I do? Is it a hardware issue, or do are my extra rams just not showing?
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi HERO745 🙂

Is it easy enough to physically get at the RAM....maybe re-seat the modules...make sure nothing has worked loose...?

xeromist
Tech specs state this machine has 2 memory slots. That means you likely have a 4GB module and an 8GB module installed. If you want 16GB you would need to replace the smaller module with 8GB but memory is expensive right now. If you are not having problems you might want to wait until prices come down.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Should I go to the store and check it out? I don't wanna have my computer reshipped because it's overwatch anniversary, and I don't want to miss the event.

Nate152
Hello HERO745

12GB should be enough for your laptop, most games use about 8GB or a little more, You won't notice any performance gain going with 16GB.

To see how much ram your games use, open the task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) while a game is running, click the performance tab then click on memory.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello HERO745

12GB should be enough for your laptop, most games use about 8GB or a little more, You won't notice any performance gain going with 16GB.

To see how much ram your games use, open the task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) while a game is running, click the performance tab then click on memory.

True, but I'd still like to have 16 gigs since I bought it with 16 gigs of ram. Is it possible that people made a mistake and didn't give me 16 gigs of ram but only 12?

Nate152
It seems so, I will agree with xeromist that it's likely you have an 8GB module and a 4GB module.

Nate152 wrote:
It seems so, I will agree with xeromist that it's likely you have an 8GB module and a 4GB module.

Alright, but why? I bought the 16 gigs version, and I only have 12 gigs of ram, should I go to best buy and ask them?

Nate152
You'd be better off contacting ASUS sales or tech support as they would know more.

HERO745 wrote:
Alright, but why? I bought the 16 gigs version, and I only have 12 gigs of ram, should I go to best buy and ask them?

Nate152 wrote:
You'd be better off contacting ASUS sales or tech support as they would know more.

I think I disagree because sometimes chain stores like BestBuy have a custom version that may have slightly different specs. So ASUS support is going to be most familiar with generic versions and may not be aware if there was a special cut down version BB was selling. I would start with BB.

@HERO: be prepared that you may not get the answer you are looking for. There is a possibility that even though you thought you were buying a 16GB machine that you ended up buying a 12GB machine. Even if an employee retrieved the wrong box you probably paid the correct price and it has been a year. The only way I can see BB doing anything is if you have a receipt indicating a 16GB model/price but somehow ended up with only 12GB. If you no longer have your receipt they may be able to look up the transaction but I'm not sure if this is something BB offers. Best to bring the receipt if you can find it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…